superman scarid flys

I think it was jack who suggested it in another thread. Blast your grow room with a bottle of co2 and smuthercate the fuckers. Worked for me.

Q: Do insects breathe? Do they have lungs

A: Yes, insects breathe. All insects require oxygen, just as you, to survive. They don't, however, have lungs like yours.

Take the oxygen away by filling the room with co2. Works like a calm. Just be careful not to KO yourself.

Bugs hate wind as well. Get more fans kicking.

:smoke

mavrik is ok for leaf spray, but i would not feed the roots with it. I dose kill the lava though, but your plant will take twice as long 2 recover and never returns to er former glory (IMHO)

If you want to chemically nuke the fuckers quickly try "Pyrethrum" concetrate as this is a natural insecticide and will work, but still takes a toll on the plants, butnot as much as mavrik.

Another chemical nuke ive seen used in grow rooms is Rogor - i would never touch those buds with a ten foot pole (about 10 times as strong as Mavrik)

But as I said before - neem oil and zone - will kill the fuckers over two weeks and the plant will recover quicker in the long run.

If your area is prone 2 fly then run neem oil in your res all the time and use Zone every third week.

Another non chemical alternative is using Advanced Nutrients Tarantula and Pirahna combined with the neem - works very well to let nothing happen at the root area.

Hope this helps

Jack

I get the heeby-jeebys when it comes to scarid fly, I absolutley loathe them with a passion.

The only thing that hasn't been suggested, is using Nematodes. I'm not sure exaclty if you're growing in soil/coco, I'm not sure if you can use beneficial Nematodes in clay balls/perlite etc.........

I HATE SCARID FLYS!! :thumbdown

seen the dm zone stuff at shops before i thought it was similar to pythoff

monochloromine or however u spell it

i will give it a try.

but as far as i can tell the plants are healthy as. slight nute burn which is kinda weird because of the regular flushing and low ec of the nutes.

i use coco in massssiiiiiiiivvvvvveeeeeeeee pots like 220 lts each

still deciding whether its safe to post some pics or not.

im not really willing to risk hurting the ladies with rogor or mavrik as a drench, i only grow two so the room for error ir minimal, not too mention the long ass grow time.

the only neem oil i can buy is called NEEMTECH potassium soap, can i use this as a drench? ive been spraying the top of the media with this stuff stuff fairly regulary.

if i could find the nematodes or gnatrol in Oz i would order it but overseas shipping sucks, does anyone know if they got it here?

thanks for all the replies, links and stuff.

peace

ok well if you only have 2 plants, regardless of how big they get, your still way under a commercial amount so post some pics up and make us jealous :D its totally safe to post pics up on these forums, ask pure, he'll let you know just how safe it really is :D

now since you only have 2 plants and cannot risk them, i still recommend using maverik but only at its recommended strength all over the plants and using dutchmaster zone to soak the coco....

now if you used maverik and DM zone every 3 days, within 2 weeks they'll be gone...i should know as i was in the exact same position as you and its been the only method that has worked for me....

now you also have an alternative which is no where near as good but will be highly effective...take cuttings, ditch ALL the coco and the plants you currently have and then proceed to cover the entire grow area in bug killer....but as you only have 2 plants which i assume you are growing to as big as you can get them, that will take way too long to recover from so get on the sacrid flies asap before they completely take over...

You should be able to source Hypoaspis mites, which predate on fungus gnat larvae and will provide some control, from biologicalservices.com.au. You also may be able to source some from a good hydroponic shop, but you may have to search this out a bit.

Cocopeat has a habit of becoming infected with fungus gnats, as it is a very moist media which is ideal for their development. That and being organic doesn't help ya. Perhaps you're also re-introducing the pest from outdoor plants? (Not necessarily MJ)

The best thing I could suggest is to ensure that you have total exclusion with your next grow, take clones as Wantdachronic has suggested, and start again after this harvest. Keep things clean, and ensure that you aren't introducing the pest next time. Intakes can be screened with some stocking, and a good insect bomb should be able to clear out the residual pests in the growing area between crops.

Good luck, and I hope you can defeat the nasty bastards.

Oh yeah, I have a mate who swears by Dipel as a treatment for fungus gnat, just a standard rate drench of the pots/containers and repeat in a week. I know there are various strains of Dipel available commercially, but I wasn't aware that just plain old Dipel as used for most caterpillars could do it... But this guy was adamant, so it may be worth a try anyway.

Definitely consider changing your system next grow from cocopeat if that's what you're using.

And yeah, Zone/guardian is just another form of pythoff with some nutrient added as well. Be careful how you use it, it can be totally ineffective unless used correctly. Well, pythoff can, I've always only used that as I have personal things against DM. :D

Good luck and may the Force be with you.

yeah ive done this in the gro room, bombed it an cleaned evcerything with microbial. even used new pots.

and i havent had any flies yet BUT

i didnt change the waste lines, and i pulled one off yesterday and and there was thousands of white larvea. the thing is they are smaller than the scarid fly larvea ive seen, two tiny antenna and they jump around more and they dont have black heads like the scarid larvea....ive put a dozen or so in a container to see what they do.

also im gonna try the dipel on the older mums. ive got truck loads of nematodes on the way also gonna try and get hypoaspis.

why cant we get the proper scarid fly drench anymore goddamit.these are turning out to be fucking expensive bugs

easily heading into the 1ks with no end in sight not too mention the lose of yield(if any) they cause. by now i coulda flown oversaeas bought some gnatrol and flow back.

and thats no joke

:P yeah, it's a bitch eh... the gnatrol is Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis, wheras dipel is simply Bacillus thuringiensis var kurstaki. I'm not certain it will have the same effect.

Change all your lines, it's pretty cheap to do so and you should always bleach or otherwise sterilise all growing equipment between grows.

Surely you could mail-order gnatrol from o/s nowadays though? Not sure, but with the internet and all...

If you can provide some pictures of these new pests using a digicam and a magnifyer/magnifying glass then that may help more in identification....

Good luck mate.... May the force be strong with you in your battle against the dark side...

(newbie question) :P

from what I've read .. most pests come from using organic mediums or at least they like it a lot . .as opposed to non organic mediums .. there's plenty of options.... so,

why doesnt everyone grow in non organic mediums and avoid a lot of the pest probs ?

does the finsished bud tate/smell/smoke/stone better?

(newbie question)  :P

from what I've read .. most pests come from using organic mediums or at least they like it a lot . .as opposed to non organic mediums .. there's plenty of options.... so,

why doesnt everyone grow in non organic mediums and avoid a lot of the pest probs ?

does the finsished bud tate/smell/smoke/stone better?

:P I wish the solution was so simple! I've only just switched to Coco myself, having previously used Perlite/vermiculite/clay balls. You can't get away from fungus gnat, it's just that coco and other organic mediums seem to attract them a bit more than say Perlite. You'll still get fungus gnats if they're around, regardless of what media you're using.