The Truth about Cannabis

ORIGINS

It has occupied a central position in the history of civilisations, past and present. It¹s known to have provided fibre from 8,000 BC with medicinal uses being recorded in 4000 BC. Sources confirm that hemp textiles have been dated from 10,000 years ago,(approximately the same time as pottery was invented and preceding metalworking).Up until the 1900¹s hemp remained the world¹s primary agricultural commodity.

PROHIBITION

Cannabis hemp was never prohibited because of any real "drug problem" in the U.S. Available evidence points to vested interests, cooperatively acting together, to pressure legislators into banning cannabis to suit their own ends. These included the Du Pont corporation, Randolph Hearst and his tabloid newspaper chain (both with mutual interests in wood-based pulp technology and forest resources), and Harry J. Anslinger, then head of the F.B I. In 1937, Anslinger testified before Congress saying: Marijuana is the most violence causing drug in the history of mankind. A shocked Southern dominated Congressional Ways and Means committee enacted the Marijuana Transfer Tax Act in 1937 effectively outlawing marihuana.

In Australia, which had no "drug problem" to speak of at this time, the prohibition of cannabis evolved as a response to US-led international pressure to which the British accepted. This and the false classification of cannabis as a narcotic internationally, shaped official policy and became enshrined in Australian law.

State controls came into force in Victoria in 1928, New South Wales in 1935, South Australia & Queensland in 1937, Western Australia in 1950 and Tasmania in 1959. Federally, cannabis was absolutely prohibited in 1956.

In the last ten years alone, there have been over 11 major reports, enquires and commissions in Australia that have considered cannabis. All but two, have recommended law reform. This has failed to alter legislative attitude.

The National Crime Authority have estimated that when all costs of police enforcement, courts, jails, drug related crime, preventative security, etc, are added up, it is equivalent to $1.7 billion dollars, or $1000 per man, woman and child in Australia.

USES

The worlds most efficient solar power source has already been created; it's a plant. On a global scale the most energy efficient plant is hemp, an annually renewable resource able to replace all fossil fuels. In the early 1900¹s Henry Ford recognised that fossil fuels could be replaced by biomass such as hemp, cornstalks, waste paper, etc. Such biomass can be converted into methane, methanol or even petrol, and its use would reduce acid rain, end sulfur based smog and reverse the greenhouse effect. Methanol can even be converted into a high octane, lead free petrol. Ford produced a plastic car made from hemp, wheat straw and sisal, which weighed 1000 pounds less than an equivalent size steel car and had ten times the impact strength of steel panels. It wouldn¹t dent and it wouldn¹t rust. Meanwhile the original diesel engine designed by Rudolf Diesel, was intended to be fuelled "by a variety of fuels, especially vegetable and seed oils.". Cannabis built and powered "Ford-Diesels" showed clearly the potential reduction in environmental impact that could be possible.

Isochanvre, devloped by a French company, is composed of hemp hurds containing 77% cellulose, which is mixed with lime. It is used to make and insulate, buildings. Uniquely, it petrifies, literally turning to stone. Isochanvre is described as: excellent acoustic insulation, breathes, prevents condensation, self draining, waterproof, non-flammable, not eaten by rodents, termites, or insects due to its silica content, fungicidal, antibacteriological, easy to use, light, flexible, needing no plaster, painting or wall paper. The potential for ecologically sound constructions combining such products is unlimited as the resource is totally "solar powered" and 100% renewable. Waste is minimised, and pollution and toxic chemicals, avoided or reduced.

To date more than 400 separate compounds have been isolated in cannabis out of over a thousand suspected. At least 60 are considered to have some therapeutic potential

This means therapeutic potential for asthma, glaucoma, tumours, nausea relief (for HIV/AIDS, chemotherapy, sea sickness), epilepsy, M.S., labour and back pain, muscle spasms, sleep and relaxation, emphysema, appetite stimulation, pruritus, paraplegia and quadriplegia, menstrual cramps, depression and other mood disorders. It can also be used as an antibiotic, disinfectant and expectorant.

The conversion to a plant based economy is vital in terms of ecologically sustainable development. Cannabis could save our forests, reduce pollution at source, stimulate rural economies and benefit farmers. It could provide relief to millions of sufferers of medical conditions and provide clean eco-friendly paper, fuels and building materials.

The question is why we have continued to allow a hypocritical, unworkable and expensive prohibition against recreational use of this plant, to continue denying us all of its other benefits?

This is a condensed text of a paper written by Jamnes Danenberg BA (Hons) and titled The Urban Ecology of Cannabis, which can be found at: http://www.hemp.on.net/final_folder/about_.../urbecocan.html

Interesting read Frazzle.. :scratchin

This means therapeutic potential for asthma, glaucoma, tumours, nausea relief (for HIV/AIDS, chemotherapy, sea sickness), epilepsy, M.S., labour and back pain, muscle spasms, sleep and relaxation, emphysema, appetite stimulation, pruritus, paraplegia and quadriplegia, menstrual cramps, depression and other mood disorders. It can also be used as an antibiotic, disinfectant and expectorant.

I havent got any of these illnesses so its done its job for me.. :wave:

Think I'II go and have some more medicine.. :smoke

How much do closed minded politicians shit ya? These same wankers probably go home and sip their brandy whilst puffing on a cigar, I had a pissed neighbour talking to me the other day out the front, (he doesn't know I smoke), anyway here he was can of beer in hand, telling me how bad druggies are, and how this stuff they smoke how it makes their minds go weird when they are "stoned" he must have gone through 3 beers in 20mins. what a laugh.

What really shits me is that our primary mediums for getting information to the masses of people (television, radio, newspapers

Not while the same people own the tv, radio and newspapers - and that aint changing in a hurry ...

Maybe one day it’ll change.

hate being negative but none of us should hold our breath while we wait for the change ... :D

unless we got some nice bud smoke to hold in there

it needs stoners to go into politics and make the change from within ... that, or

come the revolution ...... :P

:P

Not while the same people own the tv, radio and newspapers - and that aint changing in a hurry ...

hate being negative but none of us should hold our breath while we wait for the change ...  :P

unless we got some nice bud smoke to hold in there

it needs stoners to go into politics and make the change from within ... that,  or

come the revolution ...... :P

:D

True, nothing will change anytime soon. As long as we have our little plants flowering away, it's good enough for me.

Is it good enough for you when your best friend/girlfriend/relative/family member goes to jail for growing something green?

As long as there is this complacent attitude of "It'll never happen to me" and "It's not my problem..." there will never be much movement to end prohibiton.

It seems the hippy's were the last large demographic to truly care enough about cannabis legislation to get active and stand up for what they believe, people today are only too ready to just happily break the law as long as they don't get caught.

It IS your problem, stoners.