Cannabis Smoke Condensate II: Influence of Tobacco on Tetrahydrocannab

Smokin Moose

Question

Cannabis Smoke Condensate II: Influence of Tobacco on Tetrahydrocannabinol Levels

Authors: Van der Kooy, F.1; Pomahacova, B.1; Verpoorte, R.1

Source: Inhalation Toxicology, Volume 21, Number 2, February 2009 , pp. 87-90(4)

Abstract:

Medicinal cannabis has attracted a lot of attention in recent times. Various forms of administration are used, of which smoking is very common but the least desirable. Smoking cannabis generates a large amount of unwanted side products, of which carcinogenic compounds are the most dangerous. A common practice among recreational drug users, and to a lesser degree patients who uses cannabis as medicine, is to mix the cannabis material with commercially available tobacco in order to increase the burning efficiency of the cigarette and to reduce the overall costs of the cigarette. In this study cannabis material has been mixed with tobacco in order to determine whether tobacco has an influence on the amount of and ratio between tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabinol (CBN) administered while smoking. A small-scale smoking machine has been used and cannabis mixed with various ratios of tobacco was smoked. The trapped smoke was quantitatively analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and the amount of THC, CBG, and CBN was determined for each cigarette. We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of cannabis from 32.70 ± 2.29 mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 ± 2.30 mg/g for a 25% cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by as much as 45% under the conditions tested.

Document Type: Research article

DOI: 10.1080/08958370802187296

Affiliations: 1: Division of Pharmacognosy, Section of Metabolomics, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/apl/...000002/art00001

Who would have guessed.

We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of cannabis from 32.70 ± 2.29 mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 ± 2.30 mg/g for a 25% cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by as much as 45% under the conditions tested.

Edited by Smokin Moose

Who would have guessed.

We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of cannabis from 32.70 ± 2.29 mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 ± 2.30 mg/g for a 25% cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by as much as 45% under the conditions tested.

That must be the reason I smoke joints mulled with baccy. lol :devilred:

yes true

i have been told this by indiginious peoples from many cultures

thats why tobbaco is used with hashish and hash oil in india

and tobacco and cannabis in native ammerician peace pipe

if this practice was detramental to health then it would have died out

thousand of years ago

research tells we

tobbacco when smoked dilates the large air ways and contracts the small air ways of the lungs

cannabis when smoked contracts the large air ways and dilates the small airways of the lungs

when mixed in the correct peroprtions the possitive effects of both herbs will dominate

what the latest ting is tho

it seams that thc will kill any causnageens from the tobbaco before any perminate damage is done

it seams that THC also heals up all the lung problems caused be the tobbaco, with out leaving any scar tissue

which means it leaves your lungs in as a good a condition as the day you were born

the local doctors are saying if you only smoke tobbaco with cannabis you will dramaticly lower you chances of geting lung canncer

gotta love dat

irey guidance

I was addicted to tobacco for many years. It cost me a lot of money. i was unfit and found it hard to breathe. :D If I was stupid enough to start mixing my pot with tobacco I would feel sick and get unpleasant tobacco spins. Tobacco is very expensive and very addictive. I have known pot smokers to become addicted to tobacco by mixing it with pot. No way in hell would I start again no matter how much it might improve THC vaporization efficiency.

it seams that thc will kill any causnageens from the tobbaco before any perminate damage is done

it seams that THC also heals up all the lung problems caused be the tobbaco, with out leaving any scar tissue

which means it leaves your lungs in as a good a condition as the day you were born

There was a study that suggested this might be the case but it was only a theory. I wouldn't want anyone thinking they are going to be immune from cancer because they smoke pot. I have known people to get cancer who smoke pot, including lung cancer. I have personally had the very beginnings of bowel cancer. The jury is out on cannabis and cancer.

A recent report by researchers at the Medical Research institute of New Zealand found that a single cannabis joint may cause as much damage to the lungs as five cigarettes. The research involved a group of 339 volunteers aged 18 to 70 who were divided into four groups according to whether they smoked only cannabis, only tobacco, both, or were non-smokers. Each volunteer had lung function tests and x-ray scans of their chests to assess the level of damage to their lungs and airways.

A conflicting study published in 2006 by the University of California concluded that there was no link between smoking cannabis and lung cancer. A total of 611 lung cancer patients living in Los Angeles, and 601 patients with other cancers of the head and neck were compared with 1,040 people without cancer. All the participants were asked about their use of marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol, as well as other drugs, their diets, occupation, and their family history of lung cancer.

http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drugs...isandyourhealth

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...70417193338.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80123104017.htm

I really wish people would stop saying cannabis is some sort of "cure all".

Edited by freddie

Freddie

have you seen the

he as lotsa info in dat vid

"show me a disease that cannabis cant cure!" is his famous words

do check his dvd

it is well produced

yo

i was reasoning with a local nurse from the new nimbin hospitable

i put one dis thieory to her

1---> people come in wid their complaints, for those who get a cancer diagnosis

2---> they are told to stop smoking cannabis and those that do stop

3---> 3mths after they stop smoking they die

she agreeded "yes that seams to be a reacuring patten"

i said

may be that the cannabis is the only ting thats keeping the cancer at bay

and when they stop using cannabis---> the cancer get out of control

she was shocked

you heard of the new discoverory of the Endo cannabinoid system

eh

it is in the body and it touches every system in the body

the Endo cannabinoid system is a ballancer and a regulator

they called it the Endo cannabinoid system because it does exactly the same thing as THC

and that is receptor sites the THC locks in to---> the Endo cannabinoid system

imo

people have been smoking cannabis and toobacco mix for thousands a years

tried and prooven over a very long period of time

if that practice was detramental to our health it would hve died out and not withstood the test of time

forward cannabis

heal the people

heal the land

Freddie

have you seen the Rick Simpton DVD --> Run From the Cure

he as lotsa info in dat vid

"show me a disease that cannabis cant cure!" is his famous words

do check his dvd

it is well produced

I have seen it before and I really can't sit through it again. It is quite interesting but it is a youtube video and it is far from being science. I hope he's right but i wish someone would do a proper experiment and see just how effective his oil really is. A really simple experiment would at least give an indication.

The endocannabinoid link is better. Lots to be exited about there but he is certainly not suggesting cannabis cures everything.

Just to show how annoying youtube is, this was linked with your Dr Malamede clip:

I don't agree with it BTW. Just making a point about using youtube as evidence. Anyone can make a clip and claim anything they want.

Check this one out also:

http://www.norml.org//index.cfm?Group_ID=7002

imo

people have been smoking cannabis and toobacco mix for thousands a years

tried and prooven over a very long period of time

if that practice was detramental to our health it would hve died out and not withstood the test of time

I cannot understand why you would mix fairly safe drug of low toxicity with a dangerous drug like tobacco. Also cannabis and tobacco cannot have a thousands of years history as tobacco was only used in America (by the American Indians) until the 1500's when Columbus bought it back to Europe. No way could tobacco be used in traditional pot smoking countries like India, China, parts of Europe and the middle east prior to that time.

I don't really want to get into an internet link contest. There are a lot of studies into cannabis, both positive and negative. Make up your own minds. :D

Edited by freddie

Radic

You say that if it was bad for your health people wouldn't still be smoking it after thousands of years.

I disagree, people are pretty self destructive, if it feels good now and is only a problem in the future people will keep on doing it.

Binge drinking for example, feels good at the time but everyone knows it is going to fuck you up when your older.

Secondly, cancer normally hits at older ages, in the past the lifespans of people where much less and you would be much more likely to die of other diseases and shit before cancer hits. It therefore wouldnt have been considered an issue, even if people were able to associate cancer with smoking.

I think the safest bet would be to vape or eat it.

Despite that im still smoking, it feels good, its easy and im probably not thinking about my future health as much as I should be.

Thats my 2 cents worth

I like smoking my green straight for taste reasons but when I have to (usually if im low on weed) or im at a freinds place who smokes with baccy then i will apply a bit of tobacco.

I will smoke with tobacco its not a problem coz Im a light ciggerett smoker anyways but I find im stoned for a longer period of time when I smoke green with out baccy than with.

Does anybody else get this or agree?

and why is this so?

my friends dont agree with me on this but how would they know they never smoke without the baccy hit. I also find you get more of a craving for weed mixed with baccy

because of the nicotine that causes your brain receptors to forfill that need for a cone with the baccy in it which makes it harder to give up weed in the long run coz of the

baccy/weed combo coz u associate the two together if that makes any sense?

Ez...Mos