hermaphrodite

sols

Ok I asked this question in its own post but I noticed the conversation regarding hermies here and thought I would throw it out incase anyone has had any experience,

Q. Once a female plant has been pollenated can it then turn hermie? Has anyone experienced this first hand?

Ok I asked this question in its own post but I noticed the conversation regarding hermies here and thought I would throw it out incase anyone has had any experience,

Q. Once a female plant has been pollenated can it then turn hermie? Has anyone experienced this first hand?

I have not my self but if the plant has the hermi trait in it there every chance it will show even if you have pollenated her.

but it throwing balls wont pollanate her again.

Well actually it could couldn't it? If it wasn't fully pollenated the first time round anyway.

I was asking as I was growing out three bag seed from the same bud , I was advised they would most likely hermie, one did and partially pollenated the other two but those two have stayed female since the partial pollination (now end of week 6 flower). I actually believe I may have forced the hermie to appear by using super thrive on her in flower (only this plant was given superthrive and only this plant turned a few days to a week after the superthrive ) I was just wondering as it would be a good fail safe by pollenating the lower popcorn bud if it was the case for plants that easily Hermied or bag seed etc , would be good to get a definitive answer , maybe I'll ask in a breeding section , those guys have more likely seen it if it does happen

Question on hermies - my plants revegged after being in flower for three or 4 weeks, being a newbie I didn't pick up the signs and thought I got them out early enough not to need to light deprive them :/

My Shiva Skunk popped a ball - I picked it and can't see any more, should I kill off the he-she? Or could it have spat out the pollen because of stress? I've moved it away from the rest of my grow but not sure if I'm wasting time with it.

One thing you never see when buying recreational seeds, but almost always see when buying hemp seeds, is whether the strain is MONOECIOUS, DIOECIOUS, or POLYECIOUS. Monoecious strains are the natural hermaphrodites, and there are plenty of monoecious hemp strains including Carmaleonte, Carmono, Ferimo 12, Fibrimon ("the first true monoecious hemp variety"), Futura, Santhica, etc etc etc. We like to think our recreational strains are all perfectly dioecious but clearly some of them have some genetic roots with monoecious varieties or tendencies, although not necessarily hemp, and those genetics still rear their ugly head in unfortunate grows. I think a lot of this gets forgotten about when some people talk along the lines of "you'll get more hermies from feminised seeds" ... well, you'll get hermies from both regular and feminised seed if the monoecious genetics are in the strain's lineage.

ps. the Phylos bioscience cannabis gene project has analysed quite a few hemp strains already and indeed some recreational strains interestingly have had hemp strains identified as being near neighbours and even immediate family

Edited by alienpuppy
  • Upvote 2

• Oz unpinned this topic