hermaphrodite

sols

g'day; a hermie can give all female seed or it can also give all hermie seed.

from my experience, hermie looks fem , growing pistils then filling out, then male starts to come thru and usually pollinates before you catch it, if not alert.

i advise kill all hermies with no exceptions (ok, if you use gibberellic acid, just be careful with it).

IMO, feminising seed is de-evolution.it can not be good to improve genetic diversity.

use this method for breeding.....

breeding.sized

don't mess with hermies unless you are well into bud and there are very few flowers. in this case, just pull off the offending flowers and discard them. urbanhogs hermie looks like it may be worth saving, but sols' pic is an all out hermie. if it has as many male parts as female parts, or even more than a handful, i would suggest getting rid of it.

jrs :D

hmmm

about 10 years ago or so i was told the best way to check if a plant is fem/male/heme is the leaf size (width of the leaf fingers) if they were long and slender it should be fem if they are fat and short should be male of herme but whenever males/hermes are discussed these days it's always the way to tell is said by the appearance of flowers so does this mean that it's untrue you can tell by leaf widths/lengths ?

hmmm

about 10 years ago or so i was told the best way to check if a plant is fem/male/heme is the leaf size (width of the leaf fingers) if they were long and slender it should be fem if they are fat and short should be male of herme but whenever males/hermes are discussed these days it's always the way to tell is said by the appearance of flowers so does this mean that it's untrue you can tell by leaf widths/lengths ?

Leaf structure has nothing to do with the sex of a plant, with some strains the male plants will have longer internodes making them taller. But usually males and females will look exactly the same until the flowers set in.

yeah Chronicon what you were told is completely untrue as WC said. But there are some who still claim plants can be sexed before flower. The obvious one is preflowers, but there are other factors like nodes have a chunky joint on females but not on males, males will show alternating nodes earlier and males tend to be taller and skinnier. I don't really know how true any of this is, I do know that the only male of my first crop was noticeably taller and skinnier than the rest though.

What pipe said, with the added piece that some are investigating whether the position of the stipe (The little spur that comes out before even the preflowers on the nodes) has anything to do with early sexing... ;) I'm not sure where I saw that, maybe on og or something, but they had a decent case for it... Not sure how hermies would be identifyable this way tho, as most will tell ya that stress can turn otherwise happy high class females into self pollinating hillbillies in no time, so this may not be the best method... :rolleyes:

Just something I thought I'd add...

Great shots of hermie here too, we need one with open male flowers tho, so those newbies who've never seen one can spot it... ;)

• Oz unpinned this topic