Controlling cannabis

Guest Urbanhog

Guest Urbanhog
The Press - Christchurch, NZ

Edition 2SAT 23 NOV 2002, Page 008

Controlling cannabis

The last election gave a good indication of the electorate's reluctance to embrace cannabis "reform".

Undoubtedly United Future's unequivocal opposition to decriminalisation was an important part of its appeal to middle New Zealand.

Even the Greens acknowledged that their call for liberalisation was not a vote- winner, and downplayed the issue on the hustings. Inevitably, however, after the election the Greens' more ardent advocates of decriminalisation -- read Nandor Tanczos -- have signalled that their campaign will resume.

But for those tempted to agree with them, the University of Otago study linking cannabis use with schizophrenia should be required reading.

This study by the university's Multi-disciplinary Unit found that the early use of cannabis could significantly increase the risk of schizophrenic symptoms as adults.

Companion studies in Australia pointed to a link between adolescent cannabis use and depression, and reinforced the link with schizophrenia found in the New Zealand research.

The prestigious British Medical Journal, which is publishing the results of all three studies, suggested that occasional cannabis use had few harmful effects.

But there was "a potentially serious risk to the mental health of people who use cannabis, particularly in the presence of other risk factors for schizophrenia".

New Zealanders will immediately think of Mark Burton, who slew his own mother two years ago, in terms of the connection between cannabis use and a schizophrenic condition.

Parliament's health select committee is pressing ahead with an inquiry into the health effects of cannabis.

Some three-quarters of the submissions to the committee favoured cannabis reform. That is only to be expected. In reaching its conclusions the committee should place more weight on studies such as that of the University of Otago.

It might also consider the anecdotal evidence of teachers who complain of stoned children turning up for school.

The Government has specifically ruled out decriminalisation as part of its agreement on support with United Future. That does not preclude a private bill and one has been duly promised by Mr Tanczos.

The Greens would argue with some justification that they are not advocating an open slather approach to cannabis. They would, for example, make it legal for those over 18 to grow and possess cannabis for personal use, but selling it or supplying it to minors would remain illegal.

Others would argue that if alcohol, which can cause huge social problems if misused, is legally available, so too should be cannabis.

That is all very well. But as the example of alcohol has shown, access percolates to below the legal age limit.

And at a time when there is serious debate about the wisdom of lowering the drinking age, it would be contradictory to make another drug legally available by decriminalising cannabis.

Source: The Press, Christchurch NZ

It might also consider the anecdotal evidence of teachers who complain of stoned children turning up for school.

at least they're going to school aye but ?

i attended an oficial 20% of my final year at school and about 40% the previous year, attended my final exams and left all my teachers astounded at how well i did.... did all my exams blazed off chops. few 'v' drinks & billies before the exams and obtained an above average result, same as all my I.O.T. courses for engineering certificates etc although i did attend 98% of classes i was still bent at every one of them B)

not that i'm bragging but i think that children turning up to school smashed is better than children not attending school at all, especially when theres the possibility of achieving satisfactory or higher results.

most of my teachers knew i was stoned most of the time i went to school and never had a problem with it, as i did all my work and was never a hassle.

where are all the good old fashion teachers that actually care about the students results rather than their personal choices ? (that might of sounded wrong but i think you will get the idea) they are there to teach not pass personal judgements.