1st indoor grow ! Some advice appreciated please !

Hi guys

Been following feed chart with general hydroponics Trio and just started the diamond nectar.

On the right I have white widow Nivana seeds and on the left gorilla glue expert seeds both feminized .

On day 50post-66865-163119045684_thumb.jpgpost-66865-163119051988_thumb.jpgpost-66865-163119054662_thumb.jpgpost-66865-163119056695_thumb.jpgpost-66865-163119059017_thumb.jpgpost-66865-163119062314_thumb.jpgpost-66865-163119071064_thumb.jpg

temp:23.5 fairly regularly

Hunidity 65-74%

7 gallon pots water every night at 8ish pm until 15% runoff

The light is spider farmer 4000 at 80%

plants approx 300mm away but ms gorilla glue reaching for it .

So I believe I’ve run out of room , I’ve lollpoped the girls last night but for some reason I didn’t go crazy and take them all back to a top node , I’ve left a few nodes to the top on at least 60% coverage like this …do Defoliate them until only the top node on all ? Bigger buds , more robust harvest ?

and next do I SOG and net it and then flip over next few days .

thanks guys

regards

jay jay

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Ahh yes, the running out of room caper, we all go there....  ...once.

I have a suggestion, trailer nets. You can spread her out and tie her down using a trailer net, I actually use three nets myself. The first being a heavy steel framed net which I spread the plant out underneath (A bit like a starfish) then once the netting is covered I turn my lights to 12/12. When you turn 12/12 there's a HUGE growth splurt and the plant almost doubles in size. I allow this growth splurt to grow up through the steel netting. Then about a foot above the steel net I have my first trailer net and then about a foot above that is my 2nd trailer net. The lower trailer net is used to direct the growth in the direction I want it to grow and the 2nd net is to support the weighty buds, because otherwise, without support, the stems bend and the buds end up facing the floor, not what ya want.

As for defoliating, personally I strip out everything under the canopy. My rule :If it's not getting direct light, it's gone. All of the leaf, all of the 'popcorn bud' under the canopy stripped bare. Buds need airflow, no airflow and moisture builds and you end up with a big harvest of mould. Mould has spores and the spores can infect the whole plant. By stripping the undergrowth the airflow is improved and less sites for mould to develop. Here's a before/after pic

post-24238-0-78472000-1631195168_thumb.jpg post-24238-0-29269100-1631195260_thumb.jpg

Now you say SOG, which usually uses a heap of plants to make the 'Sea Of Green' the other method is SCROG or SCReen Of Green that's usually using less plants spread out under a screen or under netting. I grow one plant in a 3m x 3m room. One plant in the middle, spread out like a starfish and here it is 7 - My 1 plant SCROG - Galleries - Cannabis Community (ozstoners.com)

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Ahh yes, the running out of room caper, we all go there.... ...once.

I have a suggestion, trailer nets. You can spread her out and tie her down using a trailer net, I actually use three nets myself. The first being a heavy steel framed net which I spread the plant out underneath (A bit like a starfish) then once the netting is covered I turn my lights to 12/12. When you turn 12/12 there's a HUGE growth splurt and the plant almost doubles in size. I allow this growth splurt to grow up through the steel netting. Then about a foot above the steel net I have my first trailer net and then about a foot above that is my 2nd trailer net. The lower trailer net is used to direct the growth in the direction I want it to grow and the 2nd net is to support the weighty buds, because otherwise, without support, the stems bend and the buds end up facing the floor, not what ya want.

As for defoliating, personally I strip out everything under the canopy. My rule :If it's not getting direct light, it's gone. All of the leaf, all of the 'popcorn bud' under the canopy stripped bare. Buds need airflow, no airflow and moisture builds and you end up with a big harvest of mould. Mould has spores and the spores can infect the whole plant. By stripping the undergrowth the airflow is improved and less sites for mould to develop. Here's a before/after pic

attachicon.gif100_1205.JPG attachicon.gif100_1213.JPG

Now you say SOG, which usually uses a heap of plants to make the 'Sea Of Green' the other method is SCROG or SCReen Of Green that's usually using less plants spread out under a screen or under netting. I grow one plant in a 3m x 3m room. One plant in the middle, spread out like a starfish and here it is 7 - My 1 plant SCROG - Galleries - Cannabis Community (ozstoners.com)

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Hey bro

Thanks so much … how Many nodes do you leave from the top!

Do you strip it to only one ☝️ or leave a couple

If I strip more out ,do I wait before I flip to 12/12 or give it a couple of days to recover ?

Scrog is what I’m going to do , yeah I believe you are sooo right

Apart from a dehumidifier which I have in there but it’s a very average one is there any other way to get humour down to 50%?

I don't go by the number of nodes but rather by light. Because I stretch it out like a starfish the node numbers vary depending on the length of the limb. If the growth is getting full light it stays. I run 4x600 HPS suspended on a straight bar with a bearing in the middle, the bar is suspended on a pulley and the whole thing can be lifted/lowered as is required. Because of the bearing I can rotate my lights 360degrees over the whole growspace, so the whole canopy gets direct light at some point. In nature plants grow like a xmas tree or ^ shape, this is because during the day the sun moves from east to west, so it all gets light at some point, but indoors the east to west doesn't happen, so instead of growing like ^ the plants inverted to grow like V. This maximises the amount of buds getting the maximum light

"...is there any other way to get humour down to 50%?" Yep...stop telling her jokes lol lol lol

Ohh, you mean humidity lol Yea, air flow. You need fresh, cool air in and hot, humid air out, but you also need air circulation through the entire grow space. Your inlet vent needs to be down low where the air is coolest, your exhaust vent needs to be up high because hot air rises. I have my intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the growspace, this means the fresh air needs to flow the the plant canopy to get to the exhaust vent. But even in doing the vents on opposite sides of the growspace there can still be pockets of stale air that doesn't get moved. For this reason I have oscillating fans in each corner blowing through the canopy, this has 2 benefits, firstly, it moves the air around the entire growspace, but it also strengthens the stems to hold up those nice heavy buds that develop. 

Stems are a bit like muscles, the more they flex, the stronger they become. By having the fan blowing through the canopy this flexes those stems so they can handle the heavy buds AND stirs the air around the buds.

Yes, give her a couple of days to adjust, But Do not, DO NOT be stripping growth after turning 12/12. This can stress her out majorly and you'll end up having stringy fluffy buds rather than nice dense uniform bud.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

I don't go by the number of nodes but rather by light. Because I stretch it out like a starfish the node numbers vary depending on the length of the limb. If the growth is getting full light it stays. I run 4x600 HPS suspended on a straight bar with a bearing in the middle, the bar is suspended on a pulley and the whole thing can be lifted/lowered as is required. Because of the bearing I can rotate my lights 360degrees over the whole growspace, so the whole canopy gets direct light at some point. In nature plants grow like a xmas tree or ^ shape, this is because during the day the sun moves from east to west, so it all gets light at some point, but indoors the east to west doesn't happen, so instead of growing like ^ the plants inverted to grow like V. This maximises the amount of buds getting the maximum light

"...is there any other way to get humour down to 50%?" Yep...stop telling her jokes lol lol lol

Ohh, you mean humidity lol Yea, air flow. You need fresh, cool air in and hot, humid air out, but you also need air circulation through the entire grow space. Your inlet vent needs to be down low where the air is coolest, your exhaust vent needs to be up high because hot air rises. I have my intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the growspace, this means the fresh air needs to flow the the plant canopy to get to the exhaust vent. But even in doing the vents on opposite sides of the growspace there can still be pockets of stale air that doesn't get moved. For this reason I have oscillating fans in each corner blowing through the canopy, this has 2 benefits, firstly, it moves the air around the entire growspace, but it also strengthens the stems to hold up those nice heavy buds that develop.

Stems are a bit like muscles, the more they flex, the stronger they become. By having the fan blowing through the canopy this flexes those stems so they can handle the heavy buds AND stirs the air around the buds.

Yes, give her a couple of days to adjust, But Do not, DO NOT be stripping growth after turning 12/12. This can stress her out majorly and you'll end up having stringy fluffy buds rather than nice dense uniform bud.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Merlin

Your a bloody legend !

Thanks for you insight ! It saddens me that you get 200 views and only a handful of people give you there best growing techniques and best advice.

I’ve got 1500 x 800 x 2000 high with one osolating fan . Should I put one osolating fan in your opinion.

Intake in my tent is bottom end feed and in-line fan in my tent at the top

Yea, you need to have a fan in there, even if it's just moving the air around. What you DON'T want is pockets of stale, high humidity air. Mould LOVES humidity.

Ahh 200 views, but ya don't want 200 opinions, too confusing. I've been here for many years and there's lots of opinions, but more often it's what they've heard or read somewhere else.

Some people will tell you 'My way is the only way...' and that's just crap. No 2 setups are the same, no 2 grows are exactly the same, so you'll find each setup and grow will need it's own tweaks.

I can tell you from my experience what I've done and the way I've done it, but by no means do I know it all. In saying that, if I have the info I'm more than willing to share it.

Others here have assisted me over the years and I have no issue in passing that assistance on to someone else who may need it, in fact I think it's part of being in the community, pass it on.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

Yea, you need to have a fan in there, even if it's just moving the air around. What you DON'T want is pockets of stale, high humidity air. Mould LOVES humidity.

Ahh 200 views, but ya don't want 200 opinions, too confusing. I've been here for many years and there's lots of opinions, but more often it's what they've heard or read somewhere else.

Some people will tell you 'My way is the only way...' and that's just crap. No 2 setups are the same, no 2 grows are exactly the same, so you'll find each setup and grow will need it's own tweaks.

I can tell you from my experience what I've done and the way I've done it, but by no means do I know it all. In saying that, if I have the info I'm more than willing to share it.

Others here have assisted me over the years and I have no issue in passing that assistance on to someone else who may need it, in fact I think it's part of being in the community, pass it on.

Merl1n

Merl1n

If you were me would you add a fan below under the canopy? Secondary

Do you mind if I private message you from time to time?

Recent picture attached as I just flipped yesterday

Thanks again post-66865-163170908761_thumb.jpg

Hey man do u know we’re to get seeds I’m form nsw

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

If you have a look at the banners at the top and bottom of each page you'll find advert banners for some seed suppliers. The banners do change but there's one here for 'Barney's Farm'

Here's a couple of links that may also help

Cannabis Seed Banks Q&A - Cannabis Community (ozstoners.com)

The Cannabis Seed Bank Guide : Sativa Indica Hemp Cannabis Seed Suppliers

I have to say here, personally, I've never used a seedbank. A few years ago I was lucky enough to score a couple of all expenses paid trips to the UK for a UK TV show, so I hoped over to Amsterdam and stocked up on beans. But at least those links will give you somewhere to start.

Merl1n

Merl1n