Lower Leaves Yellowing

Just checked soil ph with one of those cheap meters from Bunnings and it’s coming up quite acidic. This may be the reason it’s showing symptoms of a nitrogen deficiency as nitrogen is not available with a low soil ph.

A bit of research found that the fastest way to raise ph and still fairly gentle is baking soda so I’ll give that a go.

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

Watered in 1 tsp baking soda to 1l water each day for 3 days. I checked the ph before each watering and it has increased to around 5-6. Plants are looking happier with the yellowing of the leaves slowing right down.

post-65847-16158799973_thumb.jpg

I’ll pick up some lime next time I’m at Bunnings. ✌️

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

is that the way you normally water quokka , a liter of water each day 

or you just doing a liter a day to try & correct the PH with BS 

Getting fairly decent weather and temps for this time of year so I'm giving each plant 500ml day at the moment to correct pH. I mentioned the ratio to help others. :thumbsup:

ok i have another theory to why the plant is looking happier

this theory is assuming before trying to adjust PH you weren't watering small amounts of water daily 

i reckon the BS is possibly helping but what's been of more benefit i reckon is the regular water 

your in small fabric pots that can dry very quickly your also using a peat based soil mix which can go hydrophobic quite quickly 

add to that a fairly established root system / a root system that is filling out the majority of the pot 

i think the regular daily water has rehydrated the soil making the root system much happier & the soil a much more inviting place

for soil dwellers 

it's just a theory from someone sitting at home looking at a computer screen so please take it with a grain of salt 

• Upvote 1

Agreed Itchy mate, with that many changes in variables its probably a combination of all. I'm guessing I still have at least 2 weeks more for the Cinderella99 & 3 or so for the Gelato, hopefully the weather holds out for a decent finish or I might have to get them indoors.

• Upvote 1

Agreed Itchy mate, with that many changes in variables its probably a combination of all. I'm guessing I still have at least 2 weeks more for the Cinderella99 & 3 or so for the Gelato, hopefully the weather holds out for a decent finish or I might have to get them indoors.

Thanks so much for following thru with this thread. To be honest, I almost gave up with the bickering & name calling in this thread. FYI @micmac did you ever think there may be women in this forum? Seriously, what decade are we living in?

Anyhow, as I said, thanks @Quokk & others for taking the time to share your knowledge. I have the same problem & came here for the first time for some insight & guidance, from those more experienced than me. I’m a newbie at this, only second season. I’ll give the BS & regular water a go.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 2

@ITG thank you for not giving up on the thread, and good luck with the baking soda :)

Keep us posted with how it all goes.

One of my girls (gelato) is still yellowing from the bottom up. I checked the moisture and it was off the scale too wet. I always check in a few spots with the probe to make sure and she hadn’t been watered for a day and a half.

The Cinderella99 is doing better and she had a normal reading on the meter. Both the girls are now indoors with a few weeks to go. With the more constant environment, it might be easier to keep check on moisture.

Sent from my iPad using OZ Stoners

yeah quokka as environmental conditions change the plant & soil moisture will ebb & flow with those changes 

blumats are great at keeping up with those changes , if you don't need to move ya pots round the backyard i would recommend giving them a go 

once you have that constant moisture the plant & soil function much more smoothly , less pest & pathogen pressure & you should have no early yellowing

just a another word on flower times , i would be careful relying on advertised flower times for when to harvest , by using those times as gospel

i can almost guarantee you'll harvest too early 

• Upvote 1