General Pest/Fungi question

For bugs I use a natural chemical called Pyrethrum. It comes from dandelions and breaks down with no nasty residues.

Now fungi/mould, they like a cool, dark, moist environment, so by eliminating just one of those can reduce the prevalence.

IMHO the easiest to remove or manage is the moist environment. Air flow is paramount here, not just exchanging the air but airflow within your grow space too. Your fresh air intake (from outside) should be low down as this is where the air is coolest and your exhaust should be up high as hot air rises. Your intake and exhaust should be on opposite sides of your grow space, with your plant in the middle. This will help to ensure that the thru flow passes through the plant canopy. This air flow will give you a reduced humidity level but only where that air flows and due to this there will be pockets where there is no flow and high humidity. To reduce this I'd recommend an oscillating fan blowing through the plant canopy. This will do 2 things, stir the air in your grow space and also flex the plant's stems. Stems are a bit like our muscles, the more they are flexed the stronger they will become and the stronger they are the more bud weight they can hold upright.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

All good advice. Mind you, like politics, all pests are local. Very different pest profile in Melbourne than say Darwin!

And of course you will have a very different set of problems growing indoors compared with outside no matter what the climate.

On fungi, high humidity and low temperatures at night are ideal germinating conditions for rusts - in a Sydney tent, rust has been a problem for me until I started using a dehumidifier. You can use a potassium organic spray - we use it on young tomato plants, but it's very very acidic - at normal strength, any droplets that sit long enough on your growing tips will kill them - been there, done that. Nasty. Half strength and make sure you shake the plants down every time.

For bugs I use a natural chemical called Pyrethrum. It comes from dandelions

On the pyrethrum: One source, Tanacetum cinerariifolium is a chrysanthemum although it looks like a daisy - dandelions are good for fresh tea or roasted and ground (coffee substitute during the war!) - like Caro. :)

Edited by doctor_nelson

For bugs I use a natural chemical called Pyrethrum. It comes from dandelions and breaks down with no nasty residues.

Now fungi/mould, they like a cool, dark, moist environment, so by eliminating just one of those can reduce the prevalence.

IMHO the easiest to remove or manage is the moist environment. Air flow is paramount here, not just exchanging the air but airflow within your grow space too. Your fresh air intake (from outside) should be low down as this is where the air is coolest and your exhaust should be up high as hot air rises. Your intake and exhaust should be on opposite sides of your grow space, with your plant in the middle. This will help to ensure that the thru flow passes through the plant canopy. This air flow will give you a reduced humidity level but only where that air flows and due to this there will be pockets where there is no flow and high humidity. To reduce this I'd recommend an oscillating fan blowing through the plant canopy. This will do 2 things, stir the air in your grow space and also flex the plant's stems. Stems are a bit like our muscles, the more they are flexed the stronger they will become and the stronger they are the more bud weight they can hold upright.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

thanks mate

All good advice. Mind you, like politics, all pests are local. Very different pest profile in Melbourne than say Darwin!

And of course you will have a very different set of problems growing indoors compared with outside no matter what the climate.

On fungi, high humidity and low temperatures at night are ideal germinating conditions for rusts - in a Sydney tent, rust has been a problem for me until I started using a dehumidifier. You can use a potassium organic spray - we use it on young tomato plants, but it's very very acidic - at normal strength, any droplets that sit long enough on your growing tips will kill them - been there, done that. Nasty. Half strength and make sure you shake the plants down every time.

On the pyrethrum: One source, Tanacetum cinerariifolium is a chrysanthemum although it looks like a daisy - dandelions are good for fresh tea or roasted and ground (coffee substitute during the war!) - like Caro. :)

thanks mate