When to upgrade from peat pellet

Hey guys,

So after germinating my seeds using the paper towel method I then placed them in to peat pellets and put them in the propagator.

My initial plan was to keep them in there until they were ready to move outdoors. But I have noticed the root to slightly show itself from the bottom of the the peat pellet.

I'm assuming a peat pellet is not a suitable size to keep these little guys in for a week or so?

I haven't picked up my final growing medium yet, that was a job for Friday.

Would I best utilising the rest of my spare peat pellets and place them in a solo cup along with my seedlings so they have more room and continue in the propagator, then transfer to my intended fabric pots and growing medium later down the line? Or will keeping them in the peat pellets be ok?

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

post-57984-0-39937900-1603944730_thumb.jpegDon’t know about peat pallets,,,but if these cubes are what you mean then yes,,,the larger tray is about a week old ,,the smaller tray popped up a couple to a few days ago..

the older ones are getting a bit leggy but they’ll be planted a bit deeper ..

I’d normally have them into a larger cube by now but these are gifts and should be gone on a couple of days.

Magurbanhere,hello,I grew mine in little Canna cubes about 38mm cubed,maybe you can't buy em now,I'm talking 20yrs ago.

Had a small hole right through em,did 6 at a time from cuttings all using Red Cedar and as soon as the roots came through I put them straight on the clay pellets in the grow room on 18 hrs.

I'm talking little babies sitting on top of my clay medium,the pots were 300mm dia, the babies only had the water leaves and the primary leaves, but if the roots were out the bottom of the block then they were looking for nutrient!

Magurbanhere

Magurbanhere,hello,I grew mine in little Canna cubes about 38mm cubed,maybe you can't buy em now,I'm talking 20yrs ago.

Had a small hole right through em,did 6 at a time from cuttings all using Red Cedar and as soon as the roots came through I put them straight on the clay pellets in the grow room on 18 hrs.

I'm talking little babies sitting on top of my clay medium,the pots were 300mm dia, the babies only had the water leaves and the primary leaves, but if the roots were out the bottom of the block then they were looking for nutrient!

Magurbanhere

Yeah that's what I was thinking mate, they're poking out looking for water and nutrients.

Looking back I should have had the Canna Terra, the medium I decided to go with, and put them in a small seedling pots after germination instead of using the peat pellets.

Anyway, all a lesson for the next grow. Guess you don't know what methods you prefer unless you just do it and learn from it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking mate, they're poking out looking for water and nutrients.

Looking back I should have had the Canna Terra, the medium I decided to go with, and put them in a small seedling pots after germination instead of using the peat pellets.

Anyway, all a lesson for the next grow. Guess you don't know what methods you prefer unless you just do it and learn from it.

Magurbanhere,I got involved a long time ago with some really heavy duty dudes,they had multiple set ups and took em years to get it right,the Mother was Northernlight,and it was the prettiest thing I ever saw, I got out because they used too much product and they were a big organisation, big egos and paranoia with strange backstabbing bent heads just don't mix!lol.

I was nearly popped getting out,but I survived, still here,still in the phone directory!

But I really did learn a lot, eyes open and mouth shut was the way to go.

But all clones were put on 18 hours as soon as the roots come through, and grown on Rockwool, that is the best growing medium out of all the indoor types.

In saying that though it was a constant job buying rockwool, all cash, buy no more than 2 rolls and park the ute a good klm from store, and all hand watered? twice a day and nutrient mixed with rainwater only.

One cone and ya head turned green!lol.

Tried a northernlight red devil cross once but not enough yield.

Goodluck.

Magurbanhere.