Discolouration on leaves

Hi all,

This is my first grow and I've noticed on one of my plants it's started getting a little yellow in the leaves. It's very minor at this point, but I've noticed it spread a little, seems to be going top down. Leaves are a little papery, I thought it might be magnesium deficiency from the pictures I've seen, but I'm not sure. I'd just like to identify it and rectify to sort it out before it becomes anything else.

post-67218-0-05741500-1599713761_thumb.jpg

post-67218-0-86930000-1599713798_thumb.jpg

Also one of my leaves has a random hard white spot on it, not sure what it is?

post-67218-0-08763700-1599713840_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Hey Bigbud,

Some may say it's magnesium, some may say it's nitrogen. Some may say that micromanagement with a small plant, in veg, can cause more issues than it resolves. And all 3 'could' be correct.

Here's a chart to assist you with diagnosing your issue

post-24238-0-86822400-1599724839_thumb.jpg

Being that she's in veg she's gonna be fairly forgiving. She's not showing anything terminal atm, so she'll recover.

Personally, I'd recommend a compete plant food. You could add magnesium, but then find it's nitrogen (or any of the other elements). A complete plant food adds everything in the right quantities. When growing hydroponically the medium (or soil substitute) is usually inert. It has next to no usable nutrients in it. So hydro nutrient has to be a complete plant food to ensure the plant get what it needs. Because you're in soil, which already has some nutrient salts in it, so if you were to use hydro nutes it would only be at less than 1/2 strength, every 2nd to 3rd day (if that).

Something else to remember is that any changes you make today may not show in plant health for a few days to a week, so don't be overdosing 'cos nothings changing', give it time to work. Micromanagement (making heaps of little changes) is real common for newbies (We've all done it lol ), but it's a waste of time and can do more harm than good sometimes.

EDIT: That white dot. A single dot, I wouldn't be too worried about. Heaps of white dots, that'd be more of an issue (usually bugs), but one dot, don't be too worried. It looks like a drop of fluid has landed on the leaf, evaporated and burnt that spot in the process. But it certainly ain't something to be stressing over.

IMHO she's looking OK

Let her grow.

Hope it helps

Merl1n 

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

Hey Bigbud,

Some may say it's magnesium, some may say it's nitrogen. Some may say that micromanagement with a small plant, in veg, can cause more issues than it resolves. And all 3 'could' be correct.

Here's a chart to assist you with diagnosing your issue

attachicon.gifCanna Nutrient Deficencies.jpg

Being that she's in veg she's gonna be fairly forgiving. She's not showing anything terminal atm, so she'll recover.

Personally, I'd recommend a compete plant food. You could add magnesium, but then find it's nitrogen (or any of the other elements). A complete plant food adds everything in the right quantities. When growing hydroponically the medium (or soil substitute) is usually inert. It has next to no usable nutrients in it. So hydro nutrient has to be a complete plant food to ensure the plant get what it needs. Because you're in soil, which already has some nutrient salts in it, so if you were to use hydro nutes it would only be at less than 1/2 strength, every 2nd to 3rd day (if that).

Something else to remember is that any changes you make today may not show in plant health for a few days to a week, so don't be overdosing 'cos nothings changing', give it time to work. Micromanagement (making heaps of little changes) is real common for newbies (We've all done it lol ), but it's a waste of time and can do more harm than good sometimes.

IMHO she's looking OK

Let her grow.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Hey Merl1n,

Thanks a bunch for the input and advice. I'm actually in Coco and using Hygen Coco Grow and Budlink with the occasional seasol.

You're right that micromanaging a plant can cause it's own issues, I'm not doing much else than LST and currently feeding at 0.9 EC roughly every day or two depending on how thirsty they are.

I'll just leave it be and see how she goes.

Thanks again mate, appreciate it and I'll check the chart again too and just watch to see if it gets worse.

Apart from the slight discolouration your plants are looking really healthy. And going off your diary the growth is cruising along nicely.

Some strains are finicky feeders but most of them will easily be able to handle a little more than 0.9 ec at 32 days.

If I were you I would check your feed chart and see what the recommended target EC is for your plants age. Some companies will tell you to put in more than you need so you use more but aside from that it's usually a pretty good guide to go by.

If I were you I'd probably slowly start raising the ec and keep an eye on them for burn. And every time you feed try to hitting about 10% run off.

The site cocoforcannabis.com a great resource with lots of information on how to fertigate the Coco

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

"Thanks again mate, appreciate it and I'll check the chart again too and just watch to see if it gets worse."

If you click on that pic a larger version will appear, in the lower right hand corner you'll find a 'Save' tab, click it and have a copy for your own system. 

Then you've always got it.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Apart from the slight discolouration your plants are looking really healthy. And going off your diary the growth is cruising along nicely.

Some strains are finicky feeders but most of them will easily be able to handle a little more than 0.9 ec at 32 days.

If I were you I would check your feed chart and see what the recommended target EC is for your plants age. Some companies will tell you to put in more than you need so you use more but aside from that it's usually a pretty good guide to go by.

If I were you I'd probably slowly start raising the ec and keep an eye on them for burn. And every time you feed try to hitting about 10% run off.

The site cocoforcannabis.com a great resource with lots of information on how to fertigate the Coco

Hey Buzzer,

Cheers for the help.

Here's Hygens feed chart - post-67218-0-20286800-1599774154_thumb.jpeg.

Photo is pretty blurry/low res on my end, not sure if you'll be able to read it.

I'm feeding week 4 amounts of Grow and Budlink but I didn't bother to buy the other products as general consensus seems to be they aren't really necessary? So without all the other products, I'm never going to hit their recommended EC. So what do you think is the best course?

I've been considering getting a CalMag as a lot of people recommend it for Coco.

My Orange Punch was very droopy this morning and a few leaves with a slight claw thing going on, which I believe is nitrogen? Anyway, the Coco is still wet so I haven't watered/fed. Also having trouble keeping humidity below 70% for the past 24 hours, not sure why when it's been 55-60ish% for the past week. But a dehumidifier will hopefully be here tonight.

Cheers

post-67218-0-62907000-1599774728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigbudenergy

I don't see a call mag specific product in their line up. This makes me think they've already built it in somewhere else because like Frank said a hydroponic nute line will contain everything the plant needs so theres cal mag there somewhere, probably in the base nutes.

Going by that feed chart the nitro K looks pretty important because its run for pretty much the entire growth stage. I reckon that's where the rest of the EC is coming from on that feed chart.

There's a few different methods for feeding in Coco and I know that some wait for it to dry out before they feed again. Personally I always keep my coco wet and always aim for run off after my plants are about 2-3 weeks old. Coco/perlite has sufficient oxygen availability even when it's saturated so you can't really Overwater it. Getting run off has a lot of advantages for your grow. It will wash out any excess salts and give your plants access to fresh nutrition. It also makes sure that your whole pot is wet which will encourage your root system to fill out the volume. And it's the best way to tell if your plants needs an increase in feeds, if you stop getting run off you know the plants are drinking it all so you bump it up to make sure they have everything they need.

Giving your plants a big volume feed till run off certainly won't do them any harm.

I water in smaller volume (about 500ml) per feed but higher frequency (5 times a day during flower) this way my coco is always wet. I underwatered and underfed on my first grow. Then on the second grow with the same strain I ramped everything right up and doubled my harvest.

I don't see a call mag specific product in their line up. This makes me think they've already built it in somewhere else because like Frank said a hydroponic nute line will contain everything the plant needs so theres cal mag there somewhere, probably in the base nutes.

Going by that feed chart the nitro K looks pretty important because its run for pretty much the entire growth stage. I reckon that's where the rest of the EC is coming from on that feed chart.

There's a few different methods for feeding in Coco and I know that some wait for it to dry out before they feed again. Personally I always keep my coco wet and always aim for run off after my plants are about 2-3 weeks old. Coco/perlite has sufficient oxygen availability even when it's saturated so you can't really Overwater it. Getting run off has a lot of advantages for your grow. It will wash out any excess salts and give your plants access to fresh nutrition. It also makes sure that your whole pot is wet which will encourage your root system to fill out the volume. And it's the best way to tell if your plants needs an increase in feeds, if you stop getting run off you know the plants are drinking it all so you bump it up to make sure they have everything they need.

Giving your plants a big volume feed till run off certainly won't do them any harm.

I water in smaller volume (about 500ml) per feed but higher frequency (5 times a day during flower) this way my coco is always wet. I underwatered and underfed on my first grow. Then on the second grow with the same strain I ramped everything right up and doubled my harvest.

Interesting, okay thanks. I found the 'ingredient' list of Hygiene Grow and you are right.

HY-GEN CORNUCOPIA COCO GROW;

Concentration (%W/W)

Calcium nitrate 13477-34-4 10-30%

Potassium nitrate 7757-79-1 10-30%

Magnesium sulphate 10034-99-8 10-30%

Potassium Phosphate 7778-777-0

Here is the Nitro K;

Potassium nitrate 7757-79-1 5-20%

Magnesium nitrate 13446-18-9 5-10%

Iron (as EDTA) N/A <1%

Manganese (as EDTA) N/A <1%

Copper (as EDTA) N/A <1%

Zinc (as EDTA) N/A <1%

Boron N/A <1%

Molybdenum N/A <1%

Humic/Fulvic acid extracts N/A 5-10%

Water To 100%

How to water to run off in fabric pots? It seems to take a good few minutes to slowly seep out afterwards even if I dump a ton of water in it. It's quiet hard to know when enough is enough when the run off is very delayed. I gave them a big feed last night, compared to what I have been anyway. I've got them in 18L fabric pots and used maybe 1- 1.5 litres per plant, is this not enough?

Both Lowryder and Orange Punch are getting pretty droopy, something's not going great, but I'm not sure why. AirFlow isn't great I don't think, trying to get an intake fan. My tent is in negative pressure but I don't think the back gets great air flow.

post-67218-0-40927600-1599863143_thumb.jpg

post-67218-0-02475500-1599863206_thumb.jpg

post-67218-0-09967700-1599863250_thumb.jpg

post-67218-0-30788900-1599863284_thumb.jpg

Little Lady is just chugging along seemingly oblivious to the other twos issues

post-67218-0-56224600-1599863323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigbudenergy