Humidity Issues

Hi JG,

I was curious to know why you thought you needed a particular temperature and rh to dry your buds. Particularly as in the last 39 years, I haven't worried about manipulating the temperature and/or rh during drying, apart for ensuring adequate ventilation via a filtered extraction fan.

So, I let Aunty Google find me what the cool kids are doing these days. Well colour me surprised, these do seem to be the recommendations on several of the highest ranked results.

I honestly don't think the amount you tent varies from the 'optimal' conditions is going to make a noticeable difference to your end product. Especially not if you cure the product after drying.

Totally answered it. I’ve spoken to some OG growers of 20+ years and they said the same. They don’t bother as long as it’s ventilated and dark you’ll be fine.

So I stopped worrying as much and stopped listening to google/YouTube and turned everything off/down and let it do it’s thing. [emoji23][emoji106]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

First time grower and have just the one plant, wanted to start small. Anyway plant has just started to develop flowers so based on this it should be ready for harvest in month or so. Have read up on drying etc and trying to figure out best method for my situation.

We have teenage kids so can’t have it hanging in the a garage or a cupboard, but do have tin shed out back. Could I hang in there with a fan running? There is no ventilation so might have to have the door open a few inches to allow air flow.

Option 2 is to try out the buds in the oven (when kids are at their other parents), at low temperature few sites have instructions to do this but apparently makes the smoke a bit harsher. If you do use this method due you still have to store in glass jars and “burp” daily?

Do NOT be using option 2, it'll cook the outside and boil the moisture inside. DON'T DO IT. And yea, it'll be harsh as all hell if ya cook it

The best option is slowly, slowly and it sounds like your only other option is your tin shed.

I'd recommend hanging it upside down from strings, something like this

post-24238-0-74057000-1375954767_thumb.j

Now, you'll certainly be needing air flow or mould will set in real quick, you don't want the air blowing directly at the buds, just enough to move the air around the buds. I find an oscillating fan blowing back and forth under the buds works fairly well. But you'll be needing air exchange too, so you'll need to either make some holes in your shed (Bunnings has vent covers, so it doesn't look so obvious) or you keep the door open (so long as your kids don't wonder on in.)

A lot of the moisture is within the stem and at night that moisture is drawn out into the bud, what may have seemed dry last night can rehydrate somewhat from that stem moisture. I hang mine until the stems snap cleanly. If they snap, the stems are dry. That's not to say the bud is dry enough though.

I then remove all of the 'timber', all of the stem. I remove everything much thicker than a match stick and place it in a newspaper lined corrugated cardboard box like this

post-24238-0-28362000-1353724695_thumb.j

I stir them around each day.

The corrugated cardboard draws most of the moisture out of the buds, when the internal bud stems cleanly I jar them up like this

post-24238-0-58679200-1353724768_thumb.j

Then I burp those jars and stir them around every couple days.

I also often use coffee tins. They're light proof, but they still need to be burped

Bit of the collection - My 1 plant SCROG - Galleries - Cannabis Community (ozstoners.com)

So those are some of my harvest processes.

Merl1n

never done it but look up drying buds in your frost free freezer

+1 but put the trimmed dry bud in a closed paper bag and best if the heads are very dry - like snappy stem dry before they go in the frost free freezer for a month. They are vaporisable after a week and a month seems optimal for me. Then in airtight jars in the same freezer.

Been using a freezer for years - no burping or bodeva packs. Just excellent tasting weed. I don't really know why it works, but it definitely works for me.

''Marijuana Horticulture The indoor/outdoor Medical Growers Bible'' by Jorge Cervantes, in Chapter 5, on pg.92

hey doc 

are you talking about curing in the freezer ? , the link i posted is talking about putting fresh buds off the plant in a freezer to dry them 

freeze drying cannabis has been done in the US , not allot & not done in your home freezer either , but the people who have done it claim there is no bud shrinkage 

as you would get drying normally , a complete plant can be dried in hours not days & weeks & the terpene profile is sharper with less loss from higher temperatures 

this is done in a freeze dry machine not a home fridge , many food items are dried this way 

not a fan of using paper & trimmed buds as T heads will stick to the paper , however untrimmed buds are a little different as the outside dried leaves keep the bud itself 

protected & away from the paper , basically T heads are sticky if they rub up against pretty much anything they'll come off , it's why i don't like trim machines cause they

remove almost all outer t heads while rolling round the machine 

freezing has its own issue with loosing T heads because they become so brittle when frozen they can brake off very easily   

hey doc 

are you talking about curing in the freezer ? , the link i posted is talking about putting fresh buds off the plant in a freezer to dry them 

freezing has its own issue with loosing T heads because they become so brittle when frozen they can brake off very easily   

Fresh bud goes in liquid nitrogen, not a freezer. Flash freezing is amazing - like freeze dried fruit. I tried freezing a fresh head in a paper bag for a week. Nope. Not for me thanks. Bone dry then in the freezer in a paper bag.

Trichomes don't go anywhere if you are sensible enough not to shake up the paper bag full of dry bud.  Mine are handled rarely and gently. It requires mechanical energy to break trichomes off even when frozen - like beating bubble hash - you have to beat the crap out of your frozen wet or dry weed in cold water to get most of them off in my experience....

Edited by doctor_nelson
  • Upvote 1