Phat Bud Advise

Looking for some advise as to how I might be able to produce chunkier, fuller buds.

I seem to get to this stage of flowering (around 38 days for these), and I don't seem to notice much more filling out, or denseness of buds through to harvest - they just seem to stagnate?

Don't get me wrong, produce is adequate for my needs, but I'm often seeing here that growers are expecting noticeable fattening of buds in the last few weeks before chopping.

I try to keep things pretty simple - holes prepared with crab/prawn shells, fish frames, homemade compost, a few handfuls of sulphate of potash, and then feed through flowering with alternating

purple powerfeed and soluble sulphate of potash.

I'm way up in the tropics, and this time of year the plots only receive 5 to 6 hours of direct sunlight, and the same indirect sunlight per day due to positioning on boundary fence - not sure if this is my issue?

This girl is a GG Allin crossed with either a Texs Guinane or a Yorker (not sure - phucked up on the labeling of pollen bags a few grows ago!!) - but I've had the same situation with every strain grown over the past

5 or so years (obviously repeating the same mistake??).

Thanks in advance for advise ....  :thumbsup:

post-54525-0-50891000-1597467830_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-45050700-1597467858_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-13689000-1597467874_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-29153100-1597467887_thumb.jpg

Buzzer has a point although I noticed it a sativa leaning plant

If all the plants you have grown have the same long narrow leaves the buds generally won't get as tight and thick as a indica , smaller plant with a fatter leaf structure

There are a couple of things you could try if you haven't already are things like black strap molasses will help fatten then up a bit

Bird guano is good ,bat guano is better ,they both are high in phosphorus

Be careful if you use the molasses it will attack ants etc , so a good ring of any dust will keep themvwt bay

My sativas take maybe a extra week or 2 just to start throwing white hairs ,and generally 4 or more weeks to finish compared to a indica leaning plant

Taking to much foilage during flower can also stunt the buds growth , I try to simulate bug attacks when pruning

1 area at a time ,done correctly you can remove certain leaves

Don't just cut them off, remove if there is a advantage in doing so

IE. Let light to lower bud site , 8t touch8ng another bud ,it's damaged and dying or dead

Never the whole plant at the same time , done remove unless the growth the branch above the leave is 1 inch long , this way there's something there to catch some light and grow quicker because it's now getting all the energy not sharing it with leaf

As I said only if you gain a advantage

You say day 38 ,this must be from the actual start of flower ,so 7 weeks roughly to go till harvest

Being a little cooler can also stunt growth on all s5ahes of life

Hope this helps

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Thanks for replies.

it's probably the small sunlight hours that are holding her back. But if I were you and I wanted to increase my bud size I would try not defoliating at all. More leaf surface area will increase the plants rate of photosynthesis and it should grow bigger.

I only just knocked some leaves off late last week that had a bit of an aphid outbreak - rather than spray, I removed the more heavily infested leaves.

Past grows, generally only remove lower, older leafs that start to look a bit mangy.

Buzzer has a point although I noticed it a sativa leaning plant
If all the plants you have grown have the same long narrow leaves the buds generally won't get as tight and thick as a indica , smaller plant with a fatter leaf structure
There are a couple of things you could try if you haven't already are things like black strap molasses will help fatten then up a bit
Bird guano is good ,bat guano is better ,they both are high in phosphorus
Be careful if you use the molasses it will attack ants etc , so a good ring of any dust will keep themvwt bay
My sativas take maybe a extra week or 2 just to start throwing white hairs ,and generally 4 or more weeks to finish compared to a indica leaning plant
Taking to much foilage during flower can also stunt the buds growth , I try to simulate bug attacks when pruning
1 area at a time ,done correctly you can remove certain leaves
Don't just cut them off, remove if there is a advantage in doing so
IE. Let light to lower bud site , 8t touch8ng another bud ,it's damaged and dying or dead
Never the whole plant at the same time , done remove unless the growth the branch above the leave is 1 inch long , this way there's something there to catch some light and grow quicker because it's now getting all the energy not sharing it with leaf
As I said only if you gain a advantage
You say day 38 ,this must be from the actual start of flower ,so 7 weeks roughly to go till harvest
Being a little cooler can also stunt growth on all s5ahes of life
Hope this helps

It's actually an Indica biased plant - seed is from a GG Allin (100% Indica according to Sthn Star Seeds site) which was crossed with either a Texas Guinane (60% Sativa) or a Yorker (80% Indica).

I start countdown from the day I plant them out in the plot (which means they're immediately less than 12 hours light) - and more often than not, buds start showing within a few days.

When counting 'flowering days' do people start the count from the first sign of budding, or from the date the lights are switched?

Curious to understand your theory time left MM - in theory the GG Allin has a flowering period of 56-63 days (altho I do understand these breeders guides are a bit of a throw of the dice?).

So, 38 days from 'switch' less say 63 leaves is 25 days - 3 to 4 weeks. Interested to understand where 7 weeks till harvest is arrived at?

Thanks again for assistance guys ....

You sound like you know this strain and your grow quite well so maybe trying some kind of additional nutes is the go. MM has a lot of experience and has probably tried and tested most of the growing/ flower boosting methods out there, If he says try the Guano then it's probably your best bet for a bud boost that actually works.

I run the biodiesel (aka bat guano) and I've been getting some very decent yields. Some kind of sea kelp is a good one to throw in too as it is a natural plant growth regulator. Searles make an interesting product called fish and kelp which I'm keen to get hold of and try out. But any kelp based product should do basically the same thing