Cannabis Research Opportunity!

Nice work there mate.

That time of the month?

Lucky for me i'm not after your approval or we might both have our panties in a knot!

Anyway, niceties out of the way....

Interesting take.

I've not paid much attention to many cannabis studies over the years, other than the pro medicinal benefit research which seems to counter the negative government argument which lumps cannabis in the same corner as most other illicit drugs, which is why I was curious as to the "Neutral platform" remark.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll take a closer peek and see what I can find.

That's about it from up here on the pony.

Cheers Cob!

Good for you, champ. Do what you will in your panties. 20+ years of freeballin' here..

By the way, a refresher in human biology probably wouldn't go astray with you, you seem a bit confused on that front.

Have yourself a wonderful day. :good:

• Upvote 1

Yep first thing I thought

Predetermined outcome ,j7st gathering stats to approve

You are never going to get the right ppl for these studies

You choose the wrong demographic , why not ask for successful ppl who consume weed , the picture will be totally different

Atm the moment the ppl who choose to participate will never give a true indication of what life's really like consuming cannabis

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

If you had you would know exactly where indycar is coming from no doubt as "cannabis research" in Australia up until the last few years has ALL been negative.

Are you familiar with organisations such as the NCPIC just for one example NNS?

If I had perhaps I would but as I hadn't, I asked. 

Relatively familiar with NCPIC,

They're no different to many organisations in Australia who target Alcohol, tobacco and a plethora of other things the government think we should not using. It's what happens when you live in a nanny state and slowly erode people's freedoms over a long period. You can't complain about freedom and privacy when you've no idea wtf they are! That's Australia.

ANyway, I reckon the neutral platform thing has been cleared up. Thanks chaps.

And Indy....

Biology was never my strong suit. I'm too old to brush up now.

I should of re-phrased "that time of the month" to "MAN"struating. =@

SHits n' giggles all round.

Hey Everyone!

First of all, cheers for all the feedback so far, I do appreciate you guys engaging with this post even if it's just to express your concerns/doubts about the validity about the project. I also see your frustration with past research, which most of you feel has unfairly represented what life's really like consuming cannabis. 

I thought it might be best to clarify the study's research background/aims as I did it quite briefly before and this may be leading to some confusion. I do want to maintain that my overarching aim (and my supervisor's aims) is to do the science behind it and report what we find, whether good or bad. For example, here is a study from one of my supervisors (Dr Yann Chye) where they did not find anything bad from cannabis:  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30558823/

The specific aim for this study is to examine the relationship between different motivations of cannabis consumption (commonly grouped into motives of enhancement, expansion, coping, social, and conformity) and affect (i.e. your feelings/mood) following consumption, for regular cannabis consumers in a naturalistic environment (i.e. while you're at home right after you smoke, rather than in an artificial environment like a lab). We basically want to match different motivations of consuming cannabis to different changes to your mood (whether it be positive or negative). In doing this, we also want to be able to inform future research and interventions (that aim to help users who self-report problems relating to their cannabis consumption) about what motivations are associated increases/decreases in positive mood, and which motivations lead to increases/decreases in negative mood (i.e. a common example in the literature is when people use cannabis to cope). 

I think this is a key aspect of the research as we're not setting out to justify why cannabis is positive/negative but rather specifically investigate the different outcomes from different motivations of consuming. Therefore, this research would be a lot more relevant to helping consumers who self-report problems and seek help, rather than evidence for/against legal policy.  

Finally, in response to concerns about funding, I do want to say that my supervisors do view themselves as independent despite funding and that neither them or me have an obligation to report negatively/positively. Understandably, you may or may not believe this based on your previous experience with research, however this is something that I do truly believe. 

I wish I could write more but I'm aware this is probably long-winded enough so I'll stop here. Ford, you mentioned wanting to look at some published papers from my supervisors so I've linked a couple more below. These are my supervisor's papers as I'm just a honours student and therefore just starting on my research journey atm :)

If there's any more questions/concerns please feel free to comment and I'll get back to you guys as soon as I can. Cheers again for engaging in this, and for your feedback. :)

Edited by CannabisResearcherMan
  • Upvote 2

Relatively familiar with NCPIC,

They're no different to many organisations in Australia who target Alcohol, tobacco and a plethora of other things the government think we should not using. It's what happens when you live in a nanny state and slowly erode people's freedoms over a long period. You can't complain about freedom and privacy when you've no idea wtf they are! That's Australia.

Yes the "politically correct" information "services" the government funds are not good NNS but with the growth of social media at least we get a chance to call out these people for their BS in public now unlike in the past where their info was the only info available. The NCPIC is now gone thanks to this and we are seeing more of a shift to unbiased cannabis research and information available now which can only be a good thing IMO.

• Upvote 1

Hey Everyone!

First of all, cheers for all the feedback so far ...

Thanks for taking the time to provide more details, CRM. It's a refreshing change compared to the hit and run researches we've seen in the the past. So I wish you well with it. If I was within you age bracket, and wasn't to go on record I'd probably give you my take on it. As i'm not your typical cannabis consumer..

I started out like most, recreationally, off and on over the years. Until my father passed on from cancer, only then i started to look at the medicinal side of cannabis. Years previously, I too did intially believe the medicinal side was a joke until his passing.

After he passed, i became a member here at OSA which really opened my eyes to all things cannabis. Anyway, nearly 15 years have past since then and I myself have been my own guinea pig, growing and testing strains for pain management. It's not a exact science but i've got my own management plan with it that keeps me off the opiates.

I've found quite a few hybrid strains around 60/40% sativa and indica crosses work fairly well with me, even the 50/50 hybrids have been quite suffice as well. But anyway, contrary to what most believe. It's not a case of consuming as much you can. But moreso a case of micro-dosing throughout the day. Traditionally, i was a old school smoker that was into the sativa's primarily. But what i'm finding the hybrids are proving to be more beneficial. As i said it's not a exact science, i'm guessing the indica side of it is dealing with the medicinal area, and the sativa is providing the uplifting element that allows me to get on with my daily commitments.

That said, utilising cannabis medicinally is no different to what we're finding with pharmaceutical meds (imo). Whereas, what works with one client, may not work for another. So this being the case it seems it's going to be trial and error with many until they find strains/hybrids that works for them (or until proper unlimited/unbiased studies can be carried out and narrowed down to certain ailment/s) if they so happen to take this route.

Regardless, all the best with it, CRM. :good:

Edited by Indycar
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for taking the time to provide more details, CRM. It's a refreshing change compared to the hit and run researches we've seen in the the past. So I wish you well with it. If I was within you age bracket, and wasn't to go on record I'd probably give you my take on it. As i'm not your typical cannabis consumer..

I started out like most, recreationally, off and on over the years. Until my father passed on from cancer, only then i started to look at the medicinal side of cannabis. Years previously, I too did intially believe the medicinal side was a joke until his passing.

After he passed, i became a member here at OSA which really opened my eyes to all things cannabis. Anyway, nearly 15 years have past since then and I myself have been my own guinea pig, growing and testing strains for pain management. It's not a exact science but i've got my own management plan with it that keeps me off the opiates.

I've found quite a few hybrid strains around 60/40% sativa and indica crosses work fairly well with me, even the 50/50 hybrids have been quite suffice as well. But anyway, contrary to what most believe. It's not a case of consuming as much you can. But moreso a case of micro-dosing throughout the day. Traditionally, i was a old school smoker that was into the sativa's primarily. But what i'm finding the hybrids are proving to be more beneficial. As i said it's not a exact science, i'm guessing the indica side of it is dealing with the medicinal area, and the sativa is providing the uplifting element that allows me to get on with my daily commitments.

That said, utilising cannabis medicinally is no different to what we're finding with pharmaceutical meds (imo). Whereas, what works with one client, may not work for another. So this being the case it seems it's going to be trial and error with many until they find strains/hybrids that works for them (or until proper unlimited/unbiased studies can be carried out and narrowed down to certain ailment/s) if they so happen to take this route.

Regardless, all the best with it, CRM. :good:

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words Indy. That's a very interesting perspective and it seems like you've had quite a lot of experience with cannabis over the years. I'm also glad you've found something that works for you and helps you manage your pain. 15 years is obviously quite a while and I imagine you would have learnt so much over the years about how cannabis works best for you.

I'm sorry you're not eligible for the study as well, it would have been great to have you! Best of luck in all your future endeavours :) 
  • Upvote 1