Peat vs coir

Hello I am trying to find out the truth. What is really better.

I have scoured the internet to find out which is better but none have said really how long you can use the base medium in our garden.

Personally where I live peat is better to use instead of Coco coir in an outdoor setting. This is because it is easier to access and I reckon it is better for the environment than coco.

Aight chur bro's for the read.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Hello I am trying to find out the truth. What is really better.

I have scoured the internet to find out which is better but none have said really how long you can use the base medium in our garden.

Personally where I live peat is better to use instead of Coco coir in an outdoor setting. This is because it is easier to access and I reckon it is better for the environment than coco.

Aight chur bro's for the read.

Peat is far worse for the environment than coco.

Hmmmmm.

Peat is far worse for the environment than coco.

You sure about that because guess what buddy coco is bad to.

Coco is chemically treated and washes with water. This is generally done in very poor countries like India where workers can be exploited. The chemicals also are washed straight into the river polluting the neighboring enviroment. Coco also has fibres the size of dust so this can also cause respiritary problems for the workers that process it.

I understand what you mean. But it's sustainable in my country.

coco is a byproduct from an existing industry & imo the winner in the sustainability stakes 

yes there are negatives to the production of coco coir which would otherwise possibly be landfill 

peat bogs are being depleted & are not renewing at the same rate as it's removal 

i would much prefer peat than coco , there are a few soil makers like easy as organics 

trying to find an alternative to using peat but are not looking at coco as that replacement 

peat vs coco 

https://www.kisorganics.com/blogs/news/99806785-peat-vs-coco#:~:text=Pros%20of%20Coco%20Coir%3A&text=%22Renewable%22%20resource%20-%20byproduct%20of,to%2030x%20it

Edited by itchybromusic

Hmmmmm.You sure about that because guess what buddy coco is bad to.

Coco is chemically treated and washes with water. This is generally done in very poor countries like India where workers can be exploited. The chemicals also are washed straight into the river polluting the neighboring enviroment. Coco also has fibres the size of dust so this can also cause respiritary problems for the workers that process it.

I understand what you mean. But it's sustainable in my country.

Digging peat from the ground is sustainable in your country is it and which country would that be??

It all comes down to locally available products if you are trying to be as sustainable as possible. The fossil fuels associated with shipping anything into Aus are large. 

Pine bark for Australians is one of the most sustainable choices imo, and a very good option as a base for potting mix recipes. By product of the timber industry here in Australia.