Advice on germination

Hey guys. I just received Afghani #1 seeds and excited to start my first hydro grow. These seeds are regular, not feminized.

Should I just stick them straight into my perlite/verm mix and soak with pH adjusted water?

Or should I germinate them first with wet paper towel or other method?

Should I germinate just 4 seeds for now or germinate all 10?

Anything else I should be aware of for starters?

FYI, I have grown before about 10 years ago in soil (first time hydro) so I understand a small bit about growing but I just want to make sure so I don't mess this up.

Yeah thought that would be best. I've only got 4 pots and only room for those currently. I'm a little anxious so I wanna make sure I do this right :)

No worries, best of luck mate. Make sure to keep them warm as this will increase germination rate.

I have never grown with hydro setup so I cannot help on that side sorry.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

I have been having a very good success rate recently by making up a weak solution containing some humic acid then allowing it to reach room temp before using 

it to soak your seeds in for aprox 12hours or less if you see the white tap root appear.

post-56237-0-68722300-1591246789_thumb.jpg

Next step is to use a sheet of damp paper towel and enclose the seeds inside it then pop that 

inside a ziplock sandwich bag for another 12 hours or so until they look like this 

post-56237-0-05766000-1591246852_thumb.jpg

Then you can Gently place them into whatever you are growing them in with little tap root pointing down

I like to use either growplugs or rockwool cubes sprinkled with some Great white mycorrhizae

post-56237-0-34095800-1591246997_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Exactly this. Paper towel method on top of something a bit warm like a heat mat or on top of an appliance like an amp or something similar which has a mild heat. Then I put mine in to rockwool cubes. 2 days ago I put 12 reg seeds between paper towels. 9 germed so far. If you don't have room, just pick the strongest females and bin the other. That's one thing I don't like about regs as I'm not good at determining sex before 12 12. I usually wait until week 2 of 12 12 and in this case I'll up pot from 1 to 3 gal when I'm certain they are female. Good luck with it.

I have been having a very good success rate recently by making up a weak solution containing some humic acid then allowing it to reach room temp before using

it to soak your seeds in for aprox 12hours or less if you see the white tap root appear.

attachicon.gifIMG_7384 (1).JPG

Next step is to use a sheet of damp paper towel and enclose the seeds inside it then pop that

inside a ziplock sandwich bag for another 12 hours or so until they look like this

attachicon.gifIMG_7396 (2).JPG

Then you can Gently place them into whatever you are growing them in with little tap root pointing down

I like to use either growplugs or rockwool cubes sprinkled with some Great white mycorrhizae

attachicon.gifIMG_4632 (2).JPG

• Upvote 1

attachicon.gifIMG_7384 (1).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7396 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4632 (2).JPG

Thanks mate. I don't have any humic acid at this stage so I am just going with the paper towel method. I don't have any rockwool either so I'm just going to germinate them and put them straight into my perlite/verm mix.

Exactly this. Paper towel method on top of something a bit warm like a heat mat or on top of an appliance like an amp or something similar which has a mild heat. Then I put mine in to rockwool cubes. 2 days ago I put 12 reg seeds between paper towels. 9 germed so far. If you don't have room, just pick the strongest females and bin the other. That's one thing I don't like about regs as I'm not good at determining sex before 12 12. I usually wait until week 2 of 12 12 and in this case I'll up pot from 1 to 3 gal when I'm certain they are female. Good luck with it.

I've put them in wet paper towel and on top of my computer. I have a heat rope we used to use for lizards but I think it would be too much. My computer is kinda warm, definitely not cold but just regular temp. I have room for 4 and just learning about scrog.

• Upvote 1

try and be supa careful with those little tap roots if u go down paper towel road

i learnt hard way if u touch those lil white roots or even look at em funny, you'll lose that bean

another hard learnt lesson when u make your hole 2 put ure bean in tap root down, make sure it's deep enough 4 the root otherwise u'll damage it and not even know

i've made these mistakes so not trying 2 be a know it all

i use tweezers now so my fat little fingers don't kill

• Upvote 2

try and be supa careful with those little tap roots if u go down paper towel road

i learnt hard way if u touch those lil white roots or even look at em funny, you'll lose that bean

another hard learnt lesson when u make your hole 2 put ure bean in tap root down, make sure it's deep enough 4 the root otherwise u'll damage it and not even know

i've made these mistakes so not trying 2 be a know it all

i use tweezers now so my fat little fingers don't kill

Thanks for your advice, every bit of help is one step closer to success! They're currently in wet paper towel and being kept warm. Hopefully they won't take too long to pop :)