Lighting dilemma

Cheers for the advice guys . Appreciate it . When you say cheap , would $189 sound to cheap . The hydro shop I got my canna stuff from has one for $189 on special down from $219 . Is that to cheap to be any good . Wife’s gonna kill me if I keep spending .

The 600w HPS Grow Light Kit includes a 6 fold silver reflector, a 600w Cultiv8 ballast and Philips SON-T HPS grow lamp.

That’s the specs .

Cheers guys

It’s an entry level price compared to what is being sold as high end which can run into thousands if you buy into the hype and glossy marketing the Led grow light industry is known for. You don’t always get what you pay for tho and this is especially true in an unscrupulous industry where a meaningless measure like power output can be used as a selling point instead of more meaningful metrics they assume the average punter wouldn’t know, or shouldn’t know and  prevents them making a more informed decision.  If someone knew they were paying for a 600w light output but receiving half of that ,they  probably wouldn’t buy it. In this case and knowing the power input is 235w meant to drive 120 5w leds , obviously each led is receiving a bit less than 2w of power and is running at 40% capacity and that doesn’t take into account losses associated with heat , fans ect that are using power before it gets to the leds. The reason they do that is, as some manufacturers found out using 3w leds, when you run an led at full capacity in cheap units, it will impact on its longevity and fail prematurely resulting in unhappy customers and a bad reputation. Keep in mind If the warranty is 3yrs and the expected lifespan is 100,000 hrs they are probably being run at 50% or less. If it is only 12mths they may be run closer to max and may only last 2-3yrs. Caveat emptor.