First hydro grow... should I buy a kit?

Gee

Just looking for opinions from some seasoned growers. I've grown before but a long time ago using soil and this time I'd like to try hydro. Problem is I feel like I've read too much and now my head is spinning. I found a grow kit on eBay but yeah... I dunno if that's the best way to go or if I'd be just wasting my money.

I'm unsure if I'm allowed to post a link so here's what comes in the kit:

1x  groCELL zelt: GC

1x  Matching water system 100 to suit tent

1x  MAG 250/400/600/1000 HPS+MH KIT (Magnetic Ballast + Aluminium reflector 390x500mm + HPS&MH bulbs)

1x 10A timer

1pair (2pcs) Reflector Yoyo or hanger

1x  6" Duct fan

1x  6" Filtaroo Carbon Filter

1x  6" vent fan (intake)

1x  6" x 6m ducting

1x  Sliver Duct Tape 48mmx50m

1x  Hydro Grow nutrient A - 1 litre

1x  Hydro Grow nutrient B - 1 litre

1x  Hydro Bloom nutrient A - 1 litre

1x  Hydro Bloom nutrient B - 1 litre

I'm actually wondering for the sake of my sanity if it's worth either just going back to soil grow or growing some balls and talking to my local hydroponics store? Is it wise to go into a store? Should I say I'm growing tomatoes?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

It can't hurt to visit a hydro store and chat with the staff even if it's just to get a better idea of what is available and how it compares to the kits you are looking at. Very much depends on your budget and the quality of equipment you would like. I started out with cheaper equipment but soon upgraded when I could.

They will know what you are growing whatever you say probably but no need to panic imo

What size tent are you leaning towards? The members might have some good suggestions for equipment you can order online and help you narrow down what you want/need.

I think links are ok?

On 25/05/2020 at 8:23 PM, Naycha said:

It can't hurt to visit a hydro store and chat with the staff even if it's just to get a better idea of what is available and how it compares to the kits you are looking at. Very much depends on your budget and the quality of equipment you would like. I started out with cheaper equipment but soon upgraded when I could.

They will know what you are growing whatever you say probably but no need to panic imo

What size tent are you leaning towards? The members might have some good suggestions for equipment you can order online and help you narrow down what you want/need.

I think links are ok?

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I will go in and talk to them, may as well. The place has been around for 20 years so I'm sure they've had worse than me stumble in haha.

Money isn't a huge issue but my wife would rather me not get too wild.

I was thinking about 1m x 1m x 180cm if there's a tent that size? Reason is I have a small garden shed it could sit in with little chance of discovery.

Would that be big enough for 4 plants? I'd like to have another tent or something for a Mother eventually.

I do have another huge shed which could suit a larger tent but it worries me  if someone finds it (they're not exactly discrete). If I do decide to use the bigger shed I'd probably get a cupboard so it's not as obvious and light seal it. I have done this before.

Here is the link (please delete if not allowed) I realise I will need some grow medium as this kit doesn't include it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hydroponics-Grow-Light-Kit-250-400-600-1000w-Shade-Grow-Tent-Water-system-setup/262385866213

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I will go in and talk to them, may as well. The place has been around for 20 years so I'm sure they've had worse than me stumble in haha.

Money isn't a huge issue but my wife would rather me not get too wild.

I was thinking about 1m x 1m x 180cm if there's a tent that size? Reason is I have a small garden shed it could sit in with little chance of discovery.

Would that be big enough for 4 plants? I'd like to have another tent or something for a Mother eventually.

I do have another huge shed which could suit a larger tent but it worries me if someone finds it (they're not exactly discrete). If I do decide to use the bigger shed I'd probably get a cupboard so it's not as obvious and light seal it. I have done this before.

Here is the link (please delete if not allowed) I realise I will need some grow medium as this kit doesn't include it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hydroponics-Grow-Light-Kit-250-400-600-1000w-Shade-Grow-Tent-Water-system-setup/262385866213

Links are fine mate. [emoji106]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

That's a good price to get you started and even though grow lush isn't the best quality that equipment doesn't seem like completely shit either imo. You might find your happy growing on that scale for awhile/forever or you might start upgrading during your first grow. Edited by nici

That's a good price to get you started and even though grow lush isn't the best quality that equipment doesn't seem like completely shit either imo. You might find your happy growing on that scale for awhile/forever or you might start upgrading during your first grow.

Those tents are pretty decent quality. Good zips on them.

I would go talk to your hydro shop cant be around for 20 years without knowing something

And a good shop can match most of the online prices anyway

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice. I ended up going to my local hydro shop. Spent a bit more than I'd hoped but he assures me the gear is good quality and he says it comes with a lifetime of advice should I ever need it. Top bloke and I feel well looked after so I'm happy. Hopefully my seeds arrive soon so I can get growing!