Any Harlequin growers?

lady420

Question

Hi all.
My first post in here (medical forum) asking about medical mj. I purchased some harlequin seeds and they are about 13 weeks from germination and nearly 6 weeks since flipping. I want to make a cbd oil from them. I would like the best time to harvest to get the most amount of CBD.  What I have read they need to be harvested earlier to get the best amount of CBD??. Attached some pictures from early this morning. The trichomes: some still a little sparkly but most are cloudy white.
Any help appreciated. 

Plant one

post-65838-0-28927200-1586404410_thumb.jpg

post-65838-0-49101900-1586404459_thumb.jpg

post-65838-0-65094200-1586404491_thumb.jpg

Plant two,
post-65838-0-51765300-1586404534_thumb.jpg

post-65838-0-83899800-1586404563_thumb.jpg

post-65838-0-92467700-1586404587_thumb.jpg

post-65838-0-00679600-1586404430_thumb.jpg

PS: Very sticky and the odour is mild but beautifully sweet :-) 

• Upvote 1

Haven’t been here in a while, and I lack hands-on experience but I research CBD.

This is a difficult question because it seems the experts can’t even agree. I’ve read articles saying that a late harvest maximises CBD, but I’ve also listened to podcasts and read instructions from reputable breeders that say early harvest definitely maximises CBD. I lean towards the early harvest theory because I’ve heard more actual breeders say it verbally. But it’s not fully clear to me why it is so. It could be simply that CBD starts to ripen earlier than THC, so if u harvest early u get high CBD simply because THC didn’t start to properly ripen yet, thus skewing the cannabinoid profile towards a CBD-heavy profile.

I know for sure that if you have selected high CBD genetics, u will get high CBD no matter what u do. Im confident u will be served well

If you simply harvest when the plant indicates it’s ready to harvest. Just don’t harvest really late unless ur chasing CBN sleepy meds

• Upvote 1

Probably should clarify. The breeders were saying ‘beginning of harvest window’ to maximise cbd. So not EARLY early.

In my opinion if you have chosen high cbd genetics to begin with, then you would be silly to harvest early or with clear trichomes. U already know there is some THC to be expected in the cannabinoid profile so I would let it properly express itself, get all the trichs milky and maybe see some amber, don’t worry the CBD won’t degrade or disappear suddenly if harvesting late

• Upvote 1

CBD works best with some THC in the mix. With a typical hybrid strain you harvest late after the THC production has peaked and starts to degrade. I personally would harvest harlequin at 60/40 to 70/30 trichomes. I have some Candida (CD-1), that I'll be harvesting at 50/50 due to its already high CBD content.
  • Upvote 1