Bud rot anyone?

This stuff, disregard the price though now $19 a bottle. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CROP-GUARD-BUD-BUDDY-BR-MOULD-BOTRYTIS-FLOWER-ROT-TREATMENT-250ML/182163228214?hash=item2a69c64636:g:JHIAAOSwa-dWtBzq

The price shows $48 but my last purchase a few of weeks ago was only $19 + postage.

Edited by brick
  • Upvote 1

is there a MSDS on that stuff brick , can't seem to find one , as a rule of thumb i wouldn't spray anything on a plant i didn't know what it was 

especially on flowering plants 

imo these are band aids & doesn't really address the problem which i believe to be plant & soil health , if this plant & in fact any plant couldn't solve 

the rot prob on it's own , as they would have hundreds of years ago we wouldn't be growing them now cos the high possibility they wouldn't have survived the

constant attack 

most if not all rot like Fusarium , Phytophthora , Sclerotia or botrytis come from the soil , yes they become airborne but live in the soil waiting for the

right conditions to become active , if you grow in a manner that does not promote soil life that , at least , has a chance to out compete these fungi

where they live , then you run a higher risk of dealing with aftermath of there presents 

( for the record , i don't think Phytophthora is considered a fungi anymore )

now  i'm not saying " if you just do X you'll never have rot " , what i am saying is " if you are prone to this issue in your grow then trying X might give you a better outcome "

cos if you've never grown a canna plant with living soil without bottled nutrients how do you know what's possible in your environment  

i would suggest if you grow 10 plants outdoor each season , donate 10% to the " grow science of your backyard " & try a method that promotes soil & plant health 

& see how it go's 

there is no easy answer & one size does not fit all :)

• Upvote 3

is there a MSDS on that stuff brick , can't seem to find one , as a rule of thumb i wouldn't spray anything on a plant i didn't know what it was 

especially on flowering plants 

imo these are band aids & doesn't really address the problem which i believe to be plant & soil health , if this plant & in fact any plant couldn't solve 

the rot prob on it's own , as they would have hundreds of years ago we wouldn't be growing them now cos the high possibility they wouldn't have survived the

constant attack 

most if not all rot like Fusarium , Phytophthora , Sclerotia or botrytis come from the soil , yes they become airborne but live in the soil waiting for the

right conditions to become active , if you grow in a manner that does not promote soil life that , at least , has a chance to out compete these fungi

where they live , then you run a higher risk of dealing with aftermath of there presents 

( for the record , i don't think Phytophthora is considered a fungi anymore )

now  i'm not saying " if you just do X you'll never have rot " , what i am saying is " if you are prone to this issue in your grow then trying X might give you a better outcome "

cos if you've never grown a canna plant with living soil without bottled nutrients how do you know what's possible in your environment  

i would suggest if you grow 10 plants outdoor each season , donate 10% to the " grow science of your backyard " & try a method that promotes soil & plant health 

& see how it go's 

there is no easy answer & one size does not fit all :)

I hear you itchy. When I lived in Coburg Vic my back yard had the best soil for growing anything. Had a beautiful veggie patch as well as cannabis patch. Never had any trouble with quality or quantity. Bud rot and other fungal problem were nil. My big problem was loopers and spider mites. Both taken care of with vigilance. Since moving to the mid north coast sub tropics where the soil is so acidic they have to put copper water pipe in plastic conduit to stop the pipe pitting. I built a good garden bed with all the good stuff going into it, home made compost, old potting mix with roots in it to be broken down. Had two plants that were 2lb producers, over two seasons. There are pics in here somewhere. Then the drought slowly crept in and the only area getting watered was the garden bed. The moisture attracted the termites like ants to sugar. Plants fucked. The last three seasons have been in pots starting off with Canna Terra medium then using Searles premium potting mix as the plants got bigger. Worm castings in pig shit and perlite added to the Searles. Hardly ever use nutes. My bud rot is strain dependent not caused by the potting mix as other strains I have in same medium show no signs of rot. I have used the Crop Guard since 2018 and it keeps any rot under control I personally haven't found any side effects with smoking/cooking the good buds that are left after harvest and drying. Horses for courses, cannot ever beat good quality soil, here unfortunately there is no quality soil unless you live near the Manning river where the soil is heaven for any plant if one can avoid the termites. I do not know what is in the Crop Guard only by what I have read on their blurbs.

Edited by brick
  • Upvote 2

I spent a few years in Brunswick back in the day. Grape vines, canna, and fig trees seem to be the norm...lol.

My plants do the same. Some mould alongside plants that dont. I cut it out as I see it though.

Some of these fungicides can be carcinogenic when burnt. 
May need to be a little careful brick.

• Upvote 2

I spent a few years in Brunswick back in the day. Grape vines, canna, and fig trees seem to be the norm... lol.

My plants do the same. Some mould alongside plants that dont. I cut it out as I see it though.

Some of these fungicides can be carcinogenic when burnt. 

May need to be a little careful brick.

Cheers TB I am starting to grow more sati dominate strains now days. So no need to use the Crop Guard as the satis take longer to flower and by May the rains have all but gone. Indica dominates are done in the tent. Good advice, something I never thought about. Never to old to learn.

• Upvote 2