Canna Terra Pro indoors.

I've got 6 cuttings I'd like to experiment with indoors under LED. Interested to trial Canna Terra Pro (CTP) in pots, hand watered. Who has used CTP here for a few grows that can give me some advice ? Things like plastic vs cloth pots: watering frequency: whether need to PH every watering /feed, or if CTP buffers ok using their A and B brand nutes ? Any gnat problems ? Need to add extra perlite? Any calcium/magnesium issues similar to Coco ? Any other disadvantages of the medium versus soil ?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Hi mate.. I use Canna Terra in pots hand watered. Been using it for some time now and have tried pretty much every other method..  I am no expert on the subject but personally Canna terra has made my life easier and my plants happier for the most part..  Have not tried cloth pots but my plastic pots do the job. Just make sure the pot is big enough for the plant to finish comfortably. Watering frequency is variable as some plants use it faster based on health, plant size and pot size.. Very easy in Canna Terra, its very light like coco so you can very easily tell when the pot is dry.  If the pot is too small for the plant you will end up watering every day. A large pot and small plant you can go a week. Don't put it on a schedule.

I don't PH anything, Some people may have a different opinion but it's not needed in Canna Terra.  Terra is just an organic peat based potting mix. You should use organic ferts. You can buy their A+B if you want to mix synthetic salts and have them build up. I use Thrive, Seasol, Potash. Cheap organic nutrients from Bunnings,  No ph just treat like soil.

Its got perlirte in it. It has a similar structure to coco as in its very light and spongy, Drains very well and holds a lot of oxygen for the roots. I don't think Extra perlite would have much effect.  I have found the the war with fungus gnats has been won. I have not had a single gnat infestation since using Terra.  Usually see a few checking out my clones but they seem to disagree with Terra, None of my rooms have gnats now. Always had them in coco and in soil. Only problem i have found is myself as i tend to over fert in the later stages of the grow. This is where some leaf issues can happen but otherwise i find only advantages over soil and coco. Its seems to be the best of both for me. I am a lazy bastage so i want less fisting around and more weed. Canna Terra Does that for me.

Will be adding some pics to my Cann Terra grow diary soon. Check them out.  

How does it kill them off, starves them to death? 

I'm not sure I get your first para fully, do you think new growers shouldn't check their ph when using hydro nutes in soiless mixes like coco or peat that isn't ammended?

I agree with you about about differing ph levels within soils, but what I fail to see how this applies to potting media, granted media richer in compost/humus would buffer ph for a longer period still not necessarily forever. As you mentioned in your first para new growers should not be mixing different methadologies.

Synthetic nutes do not kill off beneficial organisms, these nutrients are apart of these organisms diets in most cases. It can be argued that hydroponic environments are in fact preferred if trying to promote the growth of certain bacteria or fungus for preventative root fungal issues, as you are starting with a clean medium with no competition, and it is proven that proper hydro environments (ie proper water temps, o2 levels etc) are in fact very good homes for these organisms.   

I did read that article itchy, it highlights good points.

I honestly would be interested to hear your opinion maybe by pm to not clog up this thread on points brought up in https://manicbotanix.com/hydroponics-versus-organics/ i feel that is a very well written article. It is written from a hydro perspective but i don't think it is totally weighted one side.  

G'day all

sorry for the late reply

pedro i think i said , "synthetic or inorganic ferts kill microbes in living soils " , or words to that effect

i might of over stated using the word "kill" but i stand by the fact , inorganic ferts have a negative impact on soil life & our environment imo

coz i'm lazy i'm not going to try & type out the reason why i think that to be true , cos there are soil experts that do a much better job   

this is Australian , Dr Christine Jones , a soil ecologist based here in oz but takes her work round the world , she is mainly talking bout

farmland based research but it's my belief that the soil science she talks about is the same whether in a backyard , greenhouse or farmland

as well as indoor soil cultivation

of cause those different environments require different tweaking , like the difficulty of maintaining a living soils in smaller pots compared with

being in ground , as the doc's presentation lays out when talking about large amounts of land , you'll find a few vids of Dr Jones you can watch

another one on cover cropping is worth the listen as well

so hope you can sit & listen or potter around & listen to what she has to say , if not , well my apologizes  but that's the best ya gonna get from me

at the minute , now keep in mind this is one persons opinion that i happen to agree with , there are many opinions in this field , enjoy                                                                                                                                                                              

Nitrogen , The Double Edged Sword https://youtu.be/sEFAfB9qfcs

frank , i was trying to say , very badly , is yes newer growers or any grower " generally " needs to control ph one way or another

in a soilless medium like coco ( hydro methodology ) , but there is no need to ph water in a water only living soil or same with

buying bagged potting mixes along with bottled nutrients like powerfeed , both are designed around ease of use = no ph'ing , no extra perlite

of cause if you use well or bore water you might need to have a bit more info on your water b4 use , that info will force dissension

on how to move forward growing in your chosen methodology combined with what you have to work with , i hope that's little clearer 

i should also say i've never grown using any hydro system so don't have any knowledge in that methodology

Hey itchy,

I can't remember exactly which forum I read it on, But it was someone messaging with someone at the promix company, and they were talking about keeping the PH of the promix in the right area would allow the user to essentially not worry about the PH of the feed at all as the peat would buffer. Keeping the ph of the media at that lvl is another thing buit you are right ab out the media in that regard.

Hi mate.. I use Canna Terra in pots hand watered. Been using it for some time now and have tried pretty much every other method.. I am no expert on the subject but personally Canna terra has made my life easier and my plants happier for the most part.. Have not tried cloth pots but my plastic pots do the job. Just make sure the pot is big enough for the plant to finish comfortably. Watering frequency is variable as some plants use it faster based on health, plant size and pot size.. Very easy in Canna Terra, its very light like coco so you can very easily tell when the pot is dry. If the pot is too small for the plant you will end up watering every day. A large pot and small plant you can go a week. Don't put it on a schedule.

I don't PH anything, Some people may have a different opinion but it's not needed in Canna Terra. Terra is just an organic peat based potting mix. You should use organic ferts. You can buy their A+B if you want to mix synthetic salts and have them build up. I use Thrive, Seasol, Potash. Cheap organic nutrients from Bunnings, No ph just treat like soil.

Its got perlirte in it. It has a similar structure to coco as in its very light and spongy, Drains very well and holds a lot of oxygen for the roots. I don't think Extra perlite would have much effect. I have found the the war with fungus gnats has been won. I have not had a single gnat infestation since using Terra. Usually see a few checking out my clones but they seem to disagree with Terra, None of my rooms have gnats now. Always had them in coco and in soil. Only problem i have found is myself as i tend to over fert in the later stages of the grow. This is where some leaf issues can happen but otherwise i find only advantages over soil and coco. Its seems to be the best of both for me. I am a lazy bastage so i want less fisting around and more weed. Canna Terra Does that for me.

Will be adding some pics to my Cann Terra grow diary soon. Check them out.

Thanks for detailed response stiritup420. How often do you feed( nutrients) the Canna Terra Pro ? And do you regularly need to flush, or just when you see a problem( like soil)? My indoor plants are now established - just applied one quarter strength feed to date.

Thanks for detailed response stiritup420. How often do you feed( nutrients) the Canna Terra Pro ? And do you regularly need to flush, or just when you see a problem( like soil)? My indoor plants are now established - just applied one quarter strength feed to date.

I use the Canna Terra nutes. out of 5 waterings I put it in four and the fifth water is straight PH'd water. Full flush evey four to six weeks. Stop using the Flores about two/three weeks before harvest. Straight water only. Works for me OF.

I use the Canna Terra nutes. out of 5 waterings I put it in four and the fifth water is straight PH'd water. Full flush evey four to six weeks. Stop using the Flores about two/three weeks before harvest. Straight water only. Works for me OF.

Thanks Brick. Once plants are established do you use full strength nutes (Vega then Flores)every watering ,??

Have not been flushing. I very rarely use the recommended dose on the bottle, maybe 75%.   Doesn't seem to be a problem in veg but my veg's are 3 weeks only.

I start about Quarter with my freshly potted clones. Once they are active i go to half and then they might get 1-2 feeds at 75% before flower time.. Flower time i am using half strength with added potash.  About 4-5 weeks into flower is where i seem to come across a few issues sometimes. Usually just tip burn and unless it's real bad wont effect yield much.  Maybe a flush is what they need or just less N in flower.  I will definitely be considering a strategic flush at some stage next grow.. All said though, It's much more forgiving than Coco and so much less work.  Not an expert yet, I would say a flush is a good idea but regular flushing is not necessary.  

I will be dong a 10 day flush at the end as it helps with the cure. I agree with Brick, i think i will do this at 6 weeks that would be enough til final flush.

Edited by Stiritup420

Poor choice of words. Typing what i am thinking not what i am meaning again.

I just think it helps take out some of the harsh green taste faster. 

I like to see the plant feed on itself in the last week and get a fade. In my opinion the product after initial dry is a smoother taste. TBH by the time i can get a proper cure it's nearly gone but the bud in my jars is usually smoother than otherwise when it would make choke and cough for my lungs up for weeks. I have a lung condition a definitely notice a difference.