Ballast hunt, CMH315, ideally 2 lights per ballast

In order for everyone in the house to keep on living I have to grow and it's been a while. Tech has changed. I need new ballasts.

I'm expecting to go with 4 CMH315s in a continual harvest system in two 5 footx5 foot (2.322576 square meters) growing areas.

I would save some money getting ballasts capable of running two lights per ballast, and so far the only option I've found for that which definitely uses Aussie power is the Lumatek 630 ballast. I'm not in love with the brand. Other suggestions to look into would be welcome. One Lumatek 630 is $400.00 AUD. One Lumatek 315 is $300 AUD. To do the same thing using 4 CMH315 ballasts would be another $600 for my grow space.

Edited by PainMan

Any reason your not going with the 630w DE CMH? I've been reading up on them as I may be in the market for a second light, seems the double ended 630w have less hotspots in the middle of the reflectors. Seem to be better when covereing smaller areas, where the 315w's shine over a larger spread. I'm assuming your going for the double bulb reflectors? 

If you Decide the Chinese route, check out ebm lighting.

As frank said the 630 DE might be a better option.. but obviously you cannot only run 315w. Can’t see any other reason to have two bulbs otherwise? I got a Lucius 630W. It is pretty cool. Can switch between CMH, HPS and MH... all with the same ballast, if you are in to changing light types at different stages of flowering...

Anyway, below is the last price ebm emailed for double 315’s. 2 year warranty and I believe you can request the plug type.

post-65857-0-32806400-1577310231_thumb.png

They also sell 630 DE’s y that use the same tech with bulb changes. Cheap as fuck factory direct. If I’m honest I reckon all the reputable brands come from the same place anyway.. just stick a sol sense or hi par sticker on them and a fancy box. lol.

post-65857-0-44796800-1577310535_thumb.png

Prices are USD and don’t include shipping..

• Upvote 1

Any reason your not going with the 630w DE CMH? I've been reading up on them as I may be in the market for a second light, seems the double ended 630w have less hotspots in the middle of the reflectors. Seem to be better when covereing smaller areas, where the 315w's shine over a larger spread. I'm assuming your going for the double bulb reflectors? 

I intend on having a separate reflector for each light. I'm not going double ended because I already have reflectors that I convert to CMH easily enough (saving lots of cash).  If I go DE I increase my cost substantially (all new reflectors). It seemed to me that if the balast can handle two 315 watt bulbs in one fixture, then it ought to be fine with the same lamps in two reflectors as long as everything is run in parallel.

Edited by PainMan

I've been looking into all o

I've been looking into all of them, including DE & vertical mounted.  I have 3 high end reflectors that can easily be adapted to CMH315s (which would save some cash on reflectors) but if I use those I need to use four ballasts not two (about $1200 instead of $800) as nobody seems to be making CMH ballasts that can run multiple fixtures (yet).

Also the only two brands I have found that definitely use Aussie power are Hi-Par & Lumatek.  And yes I would prefer dimmable ballasts.

... ex

I intend on having a separate reflector for each light. I'm not going double ended because I already have reflectors that I convert to CMH easily enough (saving lots of cash).  If I go DE I increase my cost substantially (all new reflectors). It seemed to me that if the balast can handle two 315 watt bulbs in one fixture, then it ought to be fine with the same lamps in two reflectors as long as everything is run in parallel.

I am reconsidering this because although getting new reflectors with 630s (DE or not, or 2 light fixtures) would mean buying new spendy reflectors, it also means half as many ballasts (so I would have about $400 to spend on better reflectors from the savings on ballasts).

Edited by PainMan