Such a thing as a silent exhaust fan?

hi porcini :)

not using it at the moment .... but i have a canfan q-max 150mm fan and they are pretty quiet ... they do suck a lot of air though and even set at the lowest speed ... it was  a bit too much for a 4x4 tent using a can 33 filter. ... if i could use a variac with it ... i'd be stoked and i reckon it would be silent. they do sell the fancy qmax ec fans now, which can be totally speed controlled ... but i don't think they are cheap. :)

i also use a canfan RS125 (which is loud at full speed) with a phresh filter in a 60x100x200cm grow space. the fan is enclosed in a hush box (which is lined with acoustic foam) and i use a variac to control speed and noise - it's very quiet when run at 120v and nearly silent at 100v (which still has enough power to gently pull in the tent walls). every one has a different definition of silent ... i suppose we all have different levels of hearing/deafness, so it makes sense. to get an idea of my version of quiet ... i sleep 3m away from the fan and can barely hear the fan (either motor of air movement noise) and the sound i can hear is not annoying. mind you ... it was a pain in the arse to set up and cost a bit ... if i had to do it again ...

and had a lot of money ... i'd buy a qmax ec 150mm fan with their ec controller

had a bit of money ... i'd buy a TD-Silent Series (made by soler and palau, although i think they're sold by fantech in oz) 125mm fan and use a fan controller, like the smscom range)

i don't know of any cheap way of getting a really quiet fan, but at a good valued price ... i think carbcon and OldManDallas have had great results with their blauberg fans.

hope it helps :)

Edited by pug1010