Autoflower metabolism and sleep patterns

I usually run 19/5 but at end of flower for the last 3 weeks I go 24/0

With autoflowers it really doesn't matter, what will happen is you may find strain based stressors with the likes of foxtails, Hermie or weird stretchy growth and leaf mutations.

These are strain based and not related to the auto gene. Autos these days literally have no rudiallis left in it, just the recessive gene.

If anything the startup and shutdown of HID offers something in the way of Emmerson effect which may be helpful if only subtle. LED don't do this by default as they are instantly on and off.

Putting a system in place deliberately triggering the effect is reported to be quite benificial although I haven't tested the theory as yet.

Likewise the cycle of the moon may have a subtle effect also.

Also, contrary to popular belief, autos don't necessarily have a biological clock, they can be manipulated to some extent to delay flowering and taken much further than in the early days when they would often up and die by themselves lol

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Ok Puggle6/micmac can jump in on this one, I don't know the true science behind it, but plants do go better when thay have a rest per 24 hr cycle, naturally this occurs outdoors. 18/6 , 20/4 , 12/12 , 11/8 , all have rests.

MR C , only uses 18/6 Auto veg to flower ..

In all my 30 plus years in this game inside and out i have never found that to ring true, a plant can be kept under light 24 hours a day and the plant will go into sleep cycle when it is needed...

• Upvote 2

Thanks all. It's much clearer now... lol.

I have a cam. I might try to set it up for time lapse and see if any noticable sleep times are visible within the 24hr period I've got the lights on for now.

Another thing I could just for fun is leave the flouro light on which is a normal room light in my space and play with the hid at different light on off settings.

MLG

Maybe this can explain why dark periods ate important to plants

Although 24 light will keep plants healthy because Just like humans, a marijuana plant has to breathe: take in oxygen from the air. This is used in the respiration that converts sugars and oxygen into energy, water and CO2. The energy keeps the plant alive. It is used for instance to create proteins, to pump substances into and out of the cell and to grow.

Photosynthesis is the exact opposite of respiration. If the plant is healthy and gets enough light, photosynthesis and respiration will take place at the same time. That’s why it may seem like the plant doesn’t use any oxygen, since it only takes CO2 from the air and no oxygen. In practice, the plant uses the oxygen it releases itself through photosynthesis directly for respiration. If there’s no light, the plant gets its oxygen from the air and separates the CO2.

That’s why it’s so important for weed plants in their growing phase to also have a darkness period. Stored sugars that were produced during photosynthesis are converted into proteins to stimulate the growth. The ideal light/darkness ratio in the growing phase is 18 hours of light and 6 hours of complete darkness.

Two types of respiration

There are two types of respiration in plants: maintenance respiration and growth respiration.

Maintenance respiration

The maintenance respiration keeps the plant alive. The plant has many processes that continuously need to be kept in motion, and these require energy. The plant also replaces parts from time to time, such as leaves, cells or enzymes in the cells. The energy that’s required for this comes from maintenance respiration. Maintenance of the plant always has priority over growth, because a plant can live without growing, but not without maintaining itself.

Maintenance respiration always continues and strongly increases with temperature. You can therefore steer the maintenance respiration by adjusting the temperature.

Generally, the maintenance respiration doubles with a temperature increase of 18 degrees. At 77 degrees, 0.1 ounces of sugar is needed to maintain 3.5 ounces of dry weight in leaf. Stems and roots take half. These numbers decline for older plants. If your plants don’t get enough light, it’s best to lower the temperature to obtain as little maintenance respiration as possible. The plant will then consume less of its reserves, so you won’t lose as much yield.

Growth respiration

Contrary to maintenance respiration, which can sometimes best be slowed down a bit by adjusting the temperature to the amount of light, you can’t really get enough growth respiration.

Growth respiration is the respiration needed to make the plant grow taller and heavier. A plant can roughly create 2.5 ounces of leaf (dry weight) from 3.5 ounces of assimilated sugars. So these are the energy costs for creating new leaves.

Some forms of growing require more energy, such as producing buds and seeds. If you’re not planning on using the seeds of your weed plants, it would be a waste to let the plant produce these. This is because this process consumes a lot of energy: a plant can roughly produce 1.4 ounces of seeds from 3.5 ounces of sugars. This energy could better be spent on the production of more buds or leaves. So only let unfertilized females flower.

Respiration in a closed space

You can control all environment factors in a closed growing room: the light intensity, the temperature, the humidity and the concentration of CO2. A higher temperature always means more maintenance respiration, something you would like to be as low as possible. But a higher temperature can also have a favorable effect if you have a lot of light and CO2. So what’s the best temperature? Generally spoken it’s best to keep a low temperature if there’s no light. If there is a lot of light, water and CO2, it’s no problem if the temperature rises.

Make sure you read all articles in the categories plant physiology and climate to get a good understanding of the functioning of a weed plant.

• Upvote 1

Yeah but they grow quicker on 24 hours light

way back when I was a young bloke, I bought a how to grow pot book, in SA, " The Australian Indoor MARIJUANA Growers Guide" was 1982 

it says "the longer the the daylight period the plant gets in its "normal growing cycle" the larger it will grow before flowering" 

It also says "a plant that receives a short day will bloom when its quite small with a few tops and little bulk" 

lol just a bit of old trivia 

OPs question was related to autoflowers.

Vegging a photoperiod under 24/0 isn't really likely to show any health related issues as you need to 12/12 to trigger flowering.

As I mentioned earlier however, you will sometimes see stressors with autos under 24/0

And even in the Arctic circle rudiallis occurs naturally and where long periods of 24/0 light occurs, most of those areas are again likely to have a subtle Emmerson effect due to the earth's relationship to the sun even if it doesn't fully rise and set.

Anyhoo

• Upvote 1