First time grow help, using coir+perlite, everything is dying. (AUTO o

I have been trying to germinate and grow SIX AK48 auto seeds for a couple of months now in the outskirts of Melbourne. I promise I'm not bashing them around, but 3 of them just went mushy in their seed pods after trying to get them to pop.

The 3 others managed to pop but then failed to live beyond their first set of true leaves.

- The first was put in a tiny felt pot of coir, after it had sprouted and got its first true leaves I gently touched it with my nail while inspecting it and it keeled over, causing a bend in the stem that it never recovered from. Here's a pic of it from maybe heat damage? I replanted it deeper and it's currently a tiny stunted thing with an itty bitty set of second true leaves that haven't done anything in about 2 weeks.

firstattempt2-Artboard-1.jpg

- The second shot up a little leggy but bigger and healthier, this time in some sphagnum moss and perlite. It then keeled over the second night (without being touched) and got a thin bit in the stem. Tried giving it support, weak part got weaker. Tried burying it deeper into a medium fabric pot of coir and perlite, the first little true leaves got brown spots and it stopped doing anything. It was munched on by a snail - so I pulled it out and inspected it and found that the roots had just mostly turned into brown scraggles. Goodbye second seedling.

secondattempt-Artboard-1.jpg

Now I'm on my third and final seed, this is the only one that grew a semi decent taproot (1cm) before being potted. It's in its final pot now of coir and perlite (34 litre, felt fabric) upon recommendation of a balcony grow guide that said autos were easily stunted. I'm yet to see it peak its head above the coir.

1. Are autos usually so touchy?

2. I feel like coir is either wet or DRY, it changes colour so much as it dries. Does anyone have any experience with good guidelines for watering in coir?

3. What's wrong with me, why won't my seeds live  :doh: ?

I feel like such a parent plant failure at this point, I've read so much online info it's just confusing me at this point.

These are the nutes I plan to use if I can keep this last one alive:

Professor's Original A+B

PART A Nitrogen: 76 (8%) Sulphur: 67 (7%) Magnesium: 51 (5%) Phosphate: 61 (6%) Potassium: 295 (30%)          

PART B Calcium: 190 (19%) Nitrogen: 150 (15%) Iron: 8.3 (1%)

TRACE ELEMENTS Manganese: 0.44 Boron: 0.3 Copper: 0.06 Zinc: 0.13 Molybdenum: 0.01

Total NPK ratio when mixed according to directions:

N 23% P 6% K 30%

Edited by MissMaconha

I’m currently doing my second batch of autos after failing my first attempt.

This time round doing well (aside from one getting taken out by a falling branch)

I dropped the seed directly into a jiffy puck then planted that puck into final pot 16L fabric pot with 60/40 coco/perlite (pre soaked)Didn’t need to water till she popped her head out 4 days later then was only a couple mls.

Next water was 2 days later at 5 mil’s. After first week started 10th strength grow nutes and very lightly watered entire pot, by this stage she was growing quite well.

Auto’s far as I can tell hate wet feet, next grow will use a soil/perlite mix instead of coco so it can dry out properly I forget the word but if coco dries out to much it’s very hard to rehydrate.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

i'd say too much water Misses Mac

google cannabis seedling damping off 

& you should see pics of stems that have a skinny bit

Yeah I've read a bit about that, it does appear to be it - I heard that coco and perlite was difficult to overwater with, but trust me to find a way to do it I suppose lol. Thanks for the second opinion.

I’m currently doing my second batch of autos after failing my first attempt.

This time round doing well (aside from one getting taken out by a falling branch)

I dropped the seed directly into a jiffy puck then planted that puck into final pot 16L fabric pot with 60/40 coco/perlite (pre soaked)Didn’t need to water till she popped her head out 4 days later then was only a couple mls.

Next water was 2 days later at 5 mil’s. After first week started 10th strength grow nutes and very lightly watered entire pot, by this stage she was growing quite well.

Auto’s far as I can tell hate wet feet, next grow will use a soil/perlite mix instead of coco so it can dry out properly I forget the word but if coco dries out to much it’s very hard to rehydrate.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

You're only watering a few mls at a time? Oops, I've been waiting for the top layer to go dry then watering through until it's draining. I like the term wet feet haha.

Good luck with your new grow, it sounds like it's doing well. I'll hopefully get seeds from my new order soon, it's just starting to get warmer here so I may try planting some feminized seeds instead and save the autos for after summer.

Thanks that sounds nice and easy, I think it’s a much better bet to try keep the pot dry except for where the seedling is. It is spring so either I leave it out and hope the rain doesn’t leave it too moist or maybe I should even grow it indoors to start with and get it established.. I do have a 125w CFL light