What's Causing So Many Vaping-Related Lung Problems?

As vaping-related lung illnesses continue to climb in the U.S., public health officials are narrowing in on two possible links: vitamin E and black-market vape cartridges. In New York, where 34 cases of the severe lung disease have been reported Department of Health officials said they are focusing on vitamin E acetate after finding it in nearly all of the samples it analyzed linked to the illnesses. Although its safe to take as a vitamin or use on your skin, "the Department continues to investigate its health effects when inhaled because its oil-like properties could be associated with the observed symptoms," it said in a statement.

I have been saying this for a long time, that there was to many unknowns in regards to in regards to e-lquids with what is added and what it may do to you and now look what it going down in the states, it wont be long before it happens here with all the black market e-juice that gets imported...

• Upvote 1

I had wondered about vaping the TGA approved med, merlin mentioned suspended in ?MCT oil? Alternatively coconut oil?

Probably not a good idea. From what I have read the probable culprit oil/chemical, whatever it turns out to be, spreads as a thin film throughout the alvioli halting the free exchange of gases. No O2 = you die soon.

Stick with the deoxycarbolated raw herb.

Cheers.

Regarding vaping MCT (medium chain triglycerides ) there is a lot of Bro science about causing fear, but from a lot of research  it seems that it cannot cause lipoid pneumonia  due to the length of the molecular chain as it will be absorbed by the lung tissue.

Fractionated coconut oil to C10 (carbon chain) and under, of MCT seems to be safe but when you get to an over 12 carbon chain  and therefore long chain molecules which cannot be excreted or absorbed then lipoid pneumonia becomes a possibility.

Better off with no additives of course.

• Upvote 1

I have been saying this for a long time, that there was to many unknowns in regards to in regards to e-lquids with what is added and what it may do to you and now look what it going down in the states, it wont be long before it happens here with all the black market e-juice that gets imported...

Yeah, nah.

The issue in the US that has been all over the news lately is from black market THC pens/cartridges that contain vitamin e acetate, NOT legit e-ejuice for nic-vaping.

You can put vitamin e acetate on your skin or ingest it without harm, but vapourise or burn it and inhale it, you're in for a world of hurt.  :(

E-juices only contain propylene glycol (aka PG), vegetable glycerine (aka VG), nicotine (salt or freebase), and flavours (made with PG). If there's anything in your juice besides that, DON'T USE IT!!!

You know me Ozzy. You know what I'm like, I don't just jump on fads willy nilly. I do the searching and reading and weighing the pros and cons of something before I opt in. I even thoroughly research drugs and medications before I'll take anything.

I read ingredient lists before I buy juices and I only buy from reputable sources. I've also been learning how to mix my own, it's stupidly easy.  :good: 

I am NOT saying that nic-vaping is SAFE and completely harmless. That can not be said with any grain of truth.

Nic-vaping IS definitely still a self harming activity, it's just a less harmful option than the inhalation of combusted, chemical laden tobacco. As we know, inhalation of any combusted materials is problematic.

As for the propaganda, myth-information, and scaremongering around nic-vaping, this is what I have learned after all my time reading the studies and stories and everything to date:

"Wet lung" AKA hypersensitivity pneumonitis, is caused by a rare allergic reaction to inhaled allergens. It can be caused by many things in one's environment. 

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is an auto-immune disorder. It is caused by repeated exposure to environmental substances that cause inflammation in the lungs when inhaled. Common allergens include, but are not limited to, bacteria and mycobacteria, fungi or moulds, proteins, and chemicals.

Unfortunately for the vaping community, the rare cases that arise from vaping gets pushed by the media and the ill-informed as being "the norm."

"Popcorn lung" AKA bronchiolitis obliterans, is another rare condition. The colloquialism came about after 8 workers at a popcorn factory developed bronchiolitis obliterans after working with diacetyl.

Yes, some e-juice flavours contain diacetyl, but in 2005 a study on tobacco cigarettes found that they also contain diacetyl.

Here's the kicker.

A 2014 study on tobacco consumption, diacetyl, and popcorn lung, found that the highest concentration in e-juice is lower than the lowest concentration in tobacco cigarettes.

Past research into tobacco cigarettes has determined that smoking is not a risk factor for popcorn lung.

Therefore, if smoking tobacco is not a risk for developing popcorn lung, it is then very logical to assume that the inhalation of lower levels of diacetyl in e-juice is not likely to be a risk factor either. More research needs to be done before we can come to anything close to a definite conclusion.

IMHO one should make an informed decision before partaking in any substance, but not everyone is as analytical minded as myself. lol

Personally, I've opted in to nic-vaping. If you are concerned, you can reduce your risks of diacetyl exposure by buying from reputable sources, reading ingredient lists, and by mixing your own juices.

My long term goal is to not be vaping or smoking anything, except for the occasional tobacco free bong or Arizer/oil pen vape. I do enjoy a good bong rip.  :bongon:

As soon as practical, I want ingestion to be my primary delivery system. Oil caps FTW!  :applause:

In conclusion:

• Nic-vaping is NOT without risk.
  • Current evidence says nic-vaping is LESS HARMFUL than smoking tobacco.
  • There is currently no proof, evidence, or data to confirm than nic-vaping can cause "popcorn lung".
  • YES, there IS a risk of developing "wet lung" BUT you also have a risk of developing it by working with birds, coffee, compost, wheat, tobacco, grapes, lab rats, even the soil we grow out beautiful girls in. Shit, even walking outside on a dusty day can be a risk factor!  :ermm:
  • ​We really should not be intentionally inhaling ANY substances if we wish to keep our lungs in the best condition possible.
  • There are "safer" ways of quitting smoking, but they are still not without risk.
  • If you want to opt-in to nic-vaping, buy from reputable sources and do your own research.

:freak:

Leni

post-10739-0-95185400-1569141229_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is interesting. How does this relate to vaping dry herb? I understand there is nothing added to be concerned about, but is there any evidence is better/worse than smoking it?

The vaping of dry herb and concentrates (eg: BHO) and the use of e-cigs and the like are two different things.

The basic mechanism is the same, something is heated to the boil of producing vapour without combustion, and you inhale said vapour.

Unless you're using dodgy black market items that contains harmful additives, you shouldn't have to worry. So long as you don't have crappy PGR'd buds or incompletely purged oil that is. lol

As vaping-related lung illnesses continue to climb in the U.S., public health officials are narrowing in on two possible links: vitamin E and black-market vape cartridges. In New York, where 34 cases of the severe lung disease have been reported Department of Health officials said they are focusing on vitamin E acetate after finding it in nearly all of the samples it analyzed linked to the illnesses. Although its safe to take as a vitamin or use on your skin, "the Department continues to investigate its health effects when inhaled because its oil-like properties could be associated with the observed symptoms," it said in a statement.

so true my friend, I think is high time these scientists stop messing with our herb with the sole call carts and lung illness, herb herb for life no chemicals or associates dm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

problem with studies coming from the us is who finances them, more often than not the first thing you need to look at after reading a paper is who financed it and what laboratory and scholar carried it out.

Just like big tobacco, plenty of studies came out that tobacco didnt cause cancer, because big tobacco was bank rolling the studies.

im not saying its a clear cut as that but it would be good if the waters didnt get muddied so easily, transparency is a must in this day and age of fast media and fast news consumption