Kelp Meal

Good to know.

I apologize to mess with this thread but I saw your name Veritas and thought you should know what's out there with your name on it.....

Not trying to be smart, I saw this the other day and had to screenshot for you to see

I don't think it's for organic growing....

I wish I had a tractor that mowed grass into $100 bills!
  • Upvote 1

Kelp is an algae, rather than a vascular plant. Thus, it does not die when broken loose from the seafloor. If we uproot our cannabis, we damage the roots and bad things happen. Algae has no roots, just hold fast structures to keep it in place. Freshly washed up beach algae I would expect to be very similar to forest kelp in relation to nutrients. Its still alive until the sun dries it out.

+1 thx mate ... good to know

Good to know.

I apologize to mess with this thread but I saw your name Veritas and thought you should know what's out there with your name on it.....

Not trying to be smart, I saw this the other day and had to screenshot for you to see

I don't think it's for organic growing....

lol ... let us know if monsanto tries to make contact veritas

... and here i was thinking you were just very into tassie. :)

@Vertitas, its funny you mention that it's an algea and not a plant. My old mind has had a blank moment from my Marine biology courses in high school. I knew this, but completely deleted that information, probably still thinking about Robyn sitting two seats in front of me....ohhh the times.

And after some more reading, I have found confirmation that the Bull Kelp is only gathered from shores after it breaks from tidal changes, also it can only be collected/harvested by those that have a license to do so

• Upvote 1

@Vertitas

And after some more reading, I have found confirmation that the Bull Kelp is only gathered from shores after it breaks from tidal changes, also it can only be collected/harvested by those that have a license to do so

It wouldn't be good to have commercial harvest of beach kelp unregulated. I'd bet little beach creatures use it for something. Maybe crabs eat it, or live in it, or something like that. But I'm thinking a couple buckets worth for our good cause wouldn't hurt anything. Not that anyone on this forum would even consider skirting the law [emoji1]

• Upvote 3

Ahh I reckon if you lived close like my buddy and this happened when the seas got rough I don't think some would go a miss.....?

Most likely have to be cleared for good weather and people wanna go to beach like they do. Yours is a nice idea though, creating new habitats and all that but your probably living in a house that was a natural habitat once too..... Etc etc.

It's supposed to grow in water anyway I'm guessing?

post-59840-0-48808000-1568448931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carbcon

Completely agree Carb. I walked my dog at the beach today, enough kelp there on this random day to supply everybody on this forum for a decade! Us tiny scale farmers are no worries. I was just thinking about Big Ag, they often overdo things and make short sighted decisions.

I might have lead us off topic. Everybody go to the beach, smoke a doobie, swim, check out the chicks, and bring home some nice free fertilizer!

• Upvote 1

I'm hearing you.

I'm guessing the companies harvesting are all compliant and all that but they are still harvesting from the earth I guess.

My buddy was saying they used to just steep it in water until it dissolved. He didn't rinse or anything. I mentioned maybe rinse but chuck it on compost heap too.

I'd be sheet mulching with it if I could lol

Completely agree Carb. I walked my dog at the beach today, enough kelp there on this random day to supply everybody on this forum for a decade! Us tiny scale farmers are no worries. I was just thinking about Big Ag, they often overdo things and make short sighted decisions.

I might have lead us off topic. Everybody go to the beach, smoke a doobie, swim, check out the chicks, and bring home some nice free fertilizer!

when do you know your a cannabis grower ?

you know your a cannabis growing when you go to the beach , check out the chicks wearing not much & only bring home some kelp for your plants lol

• Upvote 4