Scrogging during the switch

Hey crew

When flipping the lights to flower do you let the tips of the plant come up through the net , or do you keep training them under the net the entire time to expose the entire branch to the light ? I’ve been training them but then once flipping I’ve let them naturally come up through the net - noticed it’s then shading out a lot of the popcorn buds which would have more potential if it was laid sideways and they could turn into big colas themselves is that the go ?????

Cheers

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Hey Jim, 

It really depends on just how you're growing them and the space you have.

My scrog net is set about 4-6inches from the top of my pots, so there's not a lot of growth below the net. I also strip all of the popcorn shit out, I want the goodness going to the crowns, not the shitty stuff underneath. The bugs like the temperate, shaded areas underneath, so the less places for them to be comfortable the better IMO. If it ain't getting direct light, it's chopped.

As for the training, I train her out until the whole net is full, then flip. Some people flip and then train. There's a couple of problems I see with the flip then train is that by training the cola under the net is that only one side gets light, so one side is nice and dense the other side ends up fluffy. By allowing her to grow straight up the whole cola gets light. My lights are on a steel bar with a bearing in the middle, this allows me to rotate my lights to any position over the entire grow. The other issue is that by training in 12/12 you run the risk of damaging the stem, any damage will allow the stems to weep. If the moisture from the weeping cannot evaporate you run the risk of developing mould. Having had a couple of mould issues I avoid that at all costs.

Well, that's what I do.

Merl1n