Stop gnats in coco - pool filter sand ?

I'd say the best preventative thing you could do is ditch the coco and use either perlite or a blend of 70% perlite 30% vermiculite.

I know mate , I’ve just only ever done coco so kind of better the devil ya know (well started a dwc a few weeks ago I’ll see how that goes )

Although saying that I’m keen to try vermiculite and perlite - what’s the feeding /watering cycle like doing that ? Does it drain back to a reservoir and water every few hours ?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I'm with SE. Seriously, coco works fine but its much more prone to several problems than alternative mediums. Gnats is one of those problems. IMO coco is one of the more difficult mediums to operate with.

My feeding schedule in perlite is one feed per day during veg and six feeds per day in flower. The pots drain completely back into the pumping box. It's a very hard medium to over water.

I’d def have to research it more - if it needs gravity drain back to res then heightening my setup etc ?

It's pretty versatile ,,,,make sure to wash the fine grit away before using it.

The vermiculite holds more water so can go a day or two without a feed ,,but can be fed more often as well..

If you feed often no need for the vermiculite.

Thanks for the help sedge (Cooper as well)

Think i remember chatting to Merlin a while back about it I’ll search my old posts ....

For some reason I thought it had to be every 15 mins maybe that’s perlite I was thinking someone else might have wrote - I read sooo many posts info gets muddled in my brain haha

Looks like it’s cheaper than coco also per 100L ... I like playing around and I’ve just purchased another few bags of Hygen coco perl mix so I’ll use that up this one and once the dwc is done I’ll have a crack in my other tent with vermiculite .

What brand nutes do u use ?