Coco questions for the coco lovers !?

Hey crew - apologies started a thread before with some questions but thought I’d start a new one and feel free to hijack it with your own questions just keep on the coco topic !!

Just after everyone’s own success regimes and I’ll trial a few and see what works for me -

My gross are generally in a 2.4m long by 1.5m wide and 2.4 high cool room panel shed - I’ve also got 1.5m sq tent I veg and sometimes bloom in aswell but currently trying dwc in that tent (see grow diary Jimboss goes to Africa )

600 hPs in 27litre dual pots run to waste with an average ec of 1.4 in veg and 1.8 flower running Canna Coco (easier to buy in 5L drums and don’t need seperate veg and bloom nutes) , with rhizo , Budlink silica. Was using cannazymes and boost but so expensive don’t know if they really work. Think I need to add in cal mag but never tried ?

Ordered megacrop to give it a go .

I’ve had a few cycles using coco and perlite mostly with success (bud rot due to no defol and not enough air extraction n supply , had spider mites second grow, gnats in between and on current).

1st question - what’s a good PREVENTATIVE for gnats in coco (I’ve stopped buying the Bunnings Brunnings blocks cause every time I’ve used that I end up with large amounts must be larvae in them) - pot socks and vermiculite ? Or does it have to be crushed Earth dimatecausos (whatever the hell its called ) is there anything else u can put over the pots to stop them before they start ?

What nutrients do people use ?

Is it worth going 50L pots if I’m only doing 3-4 weeks veg time ? I usually run slight SOG style in a scrog - 8 plants 2 deep in a 2.4 m long space x1.5m (500mm between each pot basically ) fills up the scrog quick and never had an issue .. though I could limit the amount of plants incase of ever getting caught to 2 in that space just means I’d have to veg for more like 8 weeks to really fill the net correct ?

I’m sure I’m gonna belt it a few more questions but hopefully this can start a good flow of feedback for everyone on here that uses coco - I know A few members will be cringing at this topic as coco haters hahaha

But it’s worked for me so far and although the dwc I’ve got going has massive roots I haven’t noticed a real difference so far in explosive amounts of growing or anything just a lot more work involved with water changes and keeping an eye on ECs and PH - I reckon Coco wins at the moment ....

Looking forward to everyone’s comments and info and hopefully I can give some tips back

Cheers

JimBoss

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Hi mate, on the gnats question, I've got a few grows under my belt with straight coco or mixed with perlite. From the start, and I mean from them poking their heads up I put a small strip of yellow stickies on top of the coco on each pot. That way you can both monitor and prevent to an extent.

About a week before flipping to 12/12 I give each of my 9L hempy buckets a neem oil drench as per instructions on the eco neem little bottle even if they don't need it.

After that nothing. I don't want the neem smell or taste near my flowers.

With the drench in my hempy, I figure the neem will slowly leach out over the first few weeks of 12/12.

MLG

• Upvote 1

I use 100% coco fed with canna coco a&b and canna PK when timing is rite.

Use the bunnings coco but wash and let soak it ph adjusted water for a few hours.

Mix the nutes to what it says on the bottle 40mls of a&b to 10lts of water dont use a ec meter or a ph meter, canna coco very good at PH buffering fed at 1.5 lts in a 200mm pot once a day, i keep things a little on the dry side to stop the gnats getting a foot hold.

I use to drench with eco neem before planting and that seemed to keep the lil suckers at bay and i have those yellow sticky fly traps as well in grow area, now i just feed enough so they use what is there and it keeps thing in balance where it not to dry the plants become droopy or to wet to let the gnats get a hold...

Edited by Ozzy420
  • Upvote 4

H&G coco. For me the 5L is most economical. Nutrifields Pk heavy and crystalic at the right times but lately not so much. Calmag every time I feed but at very low rates. Usually need to add a bit of ph down but not much.

Thanks MLG and ozzy

I’ll take that onboard for sure !

MLG what nutes do you run ?

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 1