Mixing nutrients

Hey crew

I know it’s a dumb question since it’s not my first grow but just want to make sure I’m doing everything right !!

When mixing nutes I always add say 1/4 water with my hose/ inlet valve running in the reservoir and add in my Part A nutes while letting the water keep stirring and filling up the res , I then add part B a couple mins later ... it’s never gone milky on me which I’ve heard of it does it’s not mixed properly and basically throw it out .

Then if I’m adding rhizo I’ll do it and stir it up .

Budlink silica - never really used it anyone here use it ? And do you mix that before or after the Part a and B ?

Then after the Chems I’ll PH the water to suit ...

Anyone got any tips or is that pretty much right order - another mate reckons he fills it up , adds part A and stirs it .. then waits like 30mins before adding B , then another 30 mins , then PH and waits for that ... that’s a long bloody time of waiting around haha

Cheers

Hey Jim,

"...it's never gone milky on me which I’ve heard of it does it’s not mixed properly..." Now that can also depend on the type of nutes. Some can be made with salts which are already dissolved, where some nutes are made with a slurry, goes in white then dissolves.

Personally, I use a one part, no mixing of A & B required. It's a slurry. Then check EC then pH.

Years ago I used to make a 200ltr barrel and add from that, but found I was forever having to knock the EC back to get the salts down, so now just mix in the heart, 30ltr, as required, then top up with pH adjusted water. I'd flush fortnightly to keep everything clean and fresh.

Merl1n

Most Silica and Calcium salt based nutrients products should be added before the base nutrients. This isn't the case for naturally derived products that contain Silica or Calcium. The salt based Silica or Calcium can have reactions to other salts present in the base nutrient and cause the "milky" or cloudy look, which is actually the silica or calcium dropping out of solution. Its similar to the "don't add acid to water, add water to acid" concept

Only time i ever had a issue of going milky was when i added PK to the mix.

When i mix i add A to the rez then start filling once full add B and give a good mix, wait 1/2 hour then add the PK...

Same here. That was the only time I got clouds in my mix.

I found that if I diluted it with a little water out of the res (I'd take ~1lt from the res before I added anything to it) and let it sit while I mix the A+B, then added the PK solution slowly while a pump stirred the res, I got no clouds.

I was only using an A+B and PK though.