Cannabis & Bi Polar

RaoulJuke

Question

Hi everyone

Sorry for the long delay responding - as quite often happens when you live with Bi-Polar, my like got unexpectedly ,,,, interesting. My mental health took a bit of a turn  for the worse. Some of the reason for this was exhaustion due to the lack of sleep which can unfortunately be the first victim of either my depressive or manic period. I then had a series of fucked up work siutations which ultimately pushed my very fragile hold on normality and took me over the edge. . As it stands i am now on medical leave for a month & i am really at a bit of a crossroads with it all.

Because of that it also has led to my pot intake also being at a crossroad.

That's the key I found, less is more. You don't want to be getting too stoned. Just need a little to slow one's overclocked brain down a smidgen. It works a treat for me. I can focus and get tasks complete without getting too distracted.
Although, I do like to get stoned to the gills right before bed, helps me get to sleep and stay asleep.
I have melatonin for those difficult nights too now, handy when I'm budless.

There is a condition related to bipolar disorder. See, with bipolar, you have Type I and Type II. Type I being more severe form, Type II being less severe. Then there's cyclothymia. It's like having a mild form of bipolar. It's like a step down from Type II.

Yes Pedro, while I curse and despise the pharmaceutical industry, pharms do have a place.
I would not be here without them. I'm still taking an SSRI actually. That helps with the depressive symptoms of the bipolar. Since moving to the bush though I have noticed I don't need them AS much. When I left Brisbane, I was needing to take it every morning. Now, I only take one every 2nd day. My environment was not doing me ANY favours. I'm getting a lot more sun now and that's helping to kick my brain chem back into balance.
Once I'm free of Bris and settled in my new home, I will be able to stop taking it, eventually.

Many of the problems with weed and mental health is the sati sending people over the edge.
Sati's aggravate many mental illnesses, esp paranoia and anxiety.
I think that's where the misconception of weed causing mental health issues might come from. "The good ol' days." lol

:freak:

Thanks for posting Lenore, i found this really helpful and feel we might be similar. I also rely on Melatonin for sleeping, which is, surprisingly, highly effective IF you can remember to have it early enough.

I really regret not looking into this earlier as i dare say i have been fueling my depression/bi polar with getting either heavy PGR pot or Sati dominant strains for several years -  never really knew that it was such an issue re the strain. As i said previously growing is not really an option for me & my contacts here have always been very limited as i moved to Brisbane around a decade ago & never really found enough contacts to have "Weed options"

Shortly after i posted here i decided to put myself out there and find a new source for my herb which provided some choice\. I ended up finding someone through the High There app, complete and utter stranger hook up. Set up is not perfect, definitely paying well overs and the whole scoring procedure is sketchy as - but from there i have been able to buy with a bit more choice and knowledge & it gave me the opportunity to test my theory. Whatever works, until something better comes along.

I ended up getting some Pineapple & bubblegum Kush through this contact and i must say, i definitely saw a massive improvement in the way i felt i reacted to it. Looking them up on leafy they appear to be a hybrid - indica dominant strain. The difference to my previous stuff is indisputably an improvement to both myself, but also my partner who does not smoke. She used to find me 'intolerable' at times when i would smoke the other stuff - often getting so stoned that i resembled a more attractive version of Jabba the Hutt. On this stuff i was able to manage it definitely better, i tended to get less stoned overal (except when my manic period took over, then nothing can stop me).

If it wasnt for the the fact i have recently experienced a poor turn in my mental health i would have said it was a definite success, but like most things currently   - i need to re-evaluate that. I am pretty positive the current bad spell is more related to a build up of issues and neglect and that my "bi polar" cycle was well into gear even before i got this new Kush stuff. Reading the words people said about Satvia being 'the worst' for people with my condition makes me a little bit scared and sad as i am 99% sure i have been only getting Satvia heavy strains for nearly the past 5 years which is the period where i have seen my bi polar get out of hand. Pot has provided me one of the few respites and joys over that period and the idea that my lack of buying choice led me to buy stuff i knew what not a great suit for me...... just sucks.

I am about due to get more through this new contact and they appear to be limited to having Blue Dream, Tangerine and Lemon Kush. Looking at 'leafy;  - both Blue Dream and Tangerine are Satvia dominant hybrid - which makes them a bad fit for me (glad i looked before i bought that O).

The Lemon Kush appears to be an Indica dominant strain based on leafy, however other places report it as being a 50/50 blend. Should i be keeping away from this one too & trying to hold off until I luck out with a more Indica dominant option?

Lenore - i tried to send you a message privately but appears to be a profile restriction. If you can possibly send me a message i can reply to prvately, that would be great. Just wanted to ask a question re your bi=polar

Edited by RaoulJuke

Yea, some people can freak out a bit and for some with psych conditions or borderline psych conditions it can be a little overwhelming, pushing them over that line.

Psychs are dr's and dr's like to give answers to the 'Why's' of life. We go them to get answers. So when it comes to mental health, what could alter someone's mental health. DRUGS.

'DO YOU SMOKE CANNABIS??' asks the Dr. 'Yes' says the patient. No need to examine any further, I have a diagnosis. Cannabis induced psychosis. Next patient please.

For decades cannabis has been frowned upon by medicos BUT if a pharmaceutical company sells an even worse concoction (opiates) and labels it a medication, that's OK. WTF??

They often consider cannabis use to be an addiction and to treat addiction they often use a whole array of pharma meds. 'You can't use YOUR drugs. You must use MINE' and they are nasty drugs too.

IMHO, it's up to you to manage the best way you can for you. Others are going to have an opinion, they always do. It's how much weight you give to that opinion. There are a hell of a lot of medicos out there who think they know it all and they have ALL of the answers. They don't. I have had the 'JOY' (NOT) of dealing with know-it-all medicos for many years. I listen to them and go 'Yes Sir, No Sir, what ever you say SIR' but at the end of the day I have to manage for me not them.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Magurbanhere,

I have issues with my doctors constantly, but there is no "yes sir,no sir"

I just tell them to "shove their opinion where a duck can't stick its beak" and if they are stupid enough to ask where I just tell em,up your arse! but only if they are condescending, there are folk out there and not just doctors who are like that, i have lost dozens of jobs because I don't eat shit!

I am assuming that your income is based on Government money, I am assuming you need to kowtow to these doctors to continue getting benefits, just tell em to get fucked, they can only cut your pension off!

Magurbanhere

Cannabis will fuck you up if you have Bi polar, from what I've seen

Magurbanhere,

Spot on brother,give this man a cupee doll,lol.

Before bi-polar it was called Manic Depression and I married a young hippie lass who was Stage 4,met her hitch-hiking with her sister, she was "mad as a cut snake" and that's why I liked her, she was different for 1975 Sydney, and so was I.

Being with her was like living in a cyclone,but,I fell in love with her, 20 years on I'd wished I never met the bloody thing!..her problem was pot,pot,pot and more pot! It was a total nut job, but I loved her.

Haven't seen her or my son for 27 yrs and I hope to God she never started my beautiful boy on pot, I really mean that, in her screwed up head being totally fucked up was par for the course, drugs caused her head issues when she was younger, seems she liked her "acid" too much.

Do not give trippy grass to folk with mental health issues, their heads are already smashed so why take out past the point of "normal" reality.

Magurbanhere