Soil mix outdoor question

Im keen to try couple of plants in summer Melbourne in my backyard.

Should I first give them few weeks indoor untill they are strong enough to go outside?

When should I start germinating?

Early September?

I got my self warm farm couple of compost tumblers and bokashi bins.

So far I mixed Worm castings compost and bokashi enriched soil together and left it sitting like that for a month now.

Should I add perlite or vermiculite or some Coco in there as well?

Would mix like that be too hot for young seedlings?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

i would call your castings & your bokashi soil 1 third of a base mix 

the other 2 thirds would be as you said perlite & coco but i would 

change the coco to peat moss & your perlite to 7mm scoria rock 

also add 1/2 cup per cubic foot of base soil mix of each gypsum & dolomite 

could add more but not sure how far you want to go / spend 

too hot for seedlings , don't know , whats in this bokashi enriched soil you mention 

you could also buy a pre made soil mix from https://easyasorganics.com.au/ & use 

your castings / bokashi soil as top dressers on the pots with the above soil mix 

Edited by itchybromusic

i would call your castings & your bokashi soil 1 third of a base mix

the other 2 thirds would be as you said perlite & coco but i would

change the coco to peat moss & your perlite to 7mm scoria rock

also add 1/2 cup per cubic foot of base soil mix of each gypsum & dolomite

could add more but not sure how far you want to go / spend

too hot for seedlings , don't know , whats in this bokashi enriched soil you mention

you could also buy a pre made soil mix from https://easyasorganics.com.au/ & use

your castings / bokashi soil as top dressers on the pots with the above soil mix

What I did with bokashi layer of organic soil and tipped fermented bokashi material on top and covered it with more soil.

After a while I couldn't see any food scraps so I concluded I got the finished product.

I was thinking about easyorganic but the problem is I would have to use at least 50l and I was thinking to grow in a smaller pot as I don't want to the plant to grow too big. I'm aiming for stealth grow in between tomatoes:)

I guess I would also get more satisfaction in growing something in my own mix

Any idea where could I get 7mm scoria from?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

not sure where your at but i get mine from http://www.soilworx.com.au/shop/gravel-and-aggregates/drainage/7mm-Drainage-Scoria_1.html

i would always suggest growing in larger volumes of soil because it can stay a little more consistent moisture wise than smaller pots with less soil 

for keeping things hidden in the garden you prob need to keep away from sativa or sativa dominate strains as they will most likely stretch a bit once flowering 

to keep a plant smaller outdoors in summer plant later in the season , the longest day is the 22 December after that days start to shorten but days are still

long enough to keep a plant in veg , well that's in Vic 

def making your own soil mix is satisfying but the main part of a good soil mix is well made compost / castings made at home not brought 

reason being best to use all your local microorganisms , they already speak each others language rather than bringing in not local organisms

which might do well in your environment but also might struggle , best to sick with the locals you know do well in your environment   

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 2