Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

Hey Serrated,

"Curious if it's pure oil" Pure? The process they use is a CO2 extraction, the extract is then suspended in MCT oil or Medium Chain Tryglyceride oil, coconut oil is a MCT. But some people can have an allergy to coconut oil, seemingly they use a highly stable, non-reactive MCT

Their page states:

" Health Canada requires Licensed Producers to dilute the concentrated cannabis extract with an alternate substance, called a carrier oil.

Aphria uses MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) oil as the carrier substance in all of our cannabis oil products."

The issue being, presently I have no idea of concentration other than this:

Type
Hybrid
THC
9.52mg/ml
CBD
12.44mg/ml

Is that pure? I doubt it.

Further information to come when I have it.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

I have to agree with you Louise, the costs are exorbitant, but I figure I'll go through the processes and see how it all pans out.

If it assists with pain management the way GVM does then that'll be excellent, whatever the $$$ cost.

I was under the impression it was only CBD meds that were available but obviously not 

That's not to say that I won't still grow, IMO I need the entourage effect also, which the pharmas won't provide as the cannabinoids are isolates in the meds.

This process is more an experiment on my behalf ie Will it help

If I can get my meds without breaking the law, then that's a plus all round. But as I say I'll still grow, I ain't putting all my eggs in the one basket lol

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

Received a phone call today confirming application has been forwarded on to the TGA.

I was also given the contact details for a pharmacy in Victoria

So I thought "Let's find out about script costs at the pharmacy"

I called the Victorian pharmacy and was told $270 + 30postage for 50mL

Thought 'Support local', called a authorised local pharmacy and was told $300 for 40mL. "WHAT??" What happened to the other 10mL. And thought  "My dealer from years ago didn't even tax it that much"

I decided to look a bit deeper at this and found this:

"Pharmacy markup can be up to 140% In Australia, medical cannabis products are dispensed via pharmacy and are generally marked-up for sale to the patient.

In most cases the amount of the markup is decided by the pharmacy. As with many early stage markets, the amount of markup varies widely.

On average, pharmacists marked up medicinal cannabis products by 26%, which would be expected for a product of this nature. However some pharmacists increased price by up to 140%.

Common reason for high markup include the additional handling costs of a Schedule 8 medicine and the additional tracking paperwork required with prescription of unregistered cannabis medicines."

Now that's some decent make up, 140% ??? WTF. That's price gouging if ever I've heard it

It seems the same can be said in regard to quantity, there is no standard. Sounds like a chocolate bar, same price just less chocolate in the bar.

Then I remembered....

….This is a government programme, ".....charge whatever you like..."

Am I just being cynical or just being honest?

Let me know your opinions please.

Merl1n 

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 2

Good onya Merl1n, for having a go

nothing wrong with making a profit, but all medicines price are a scam, cannabis will be no different 

we might get cheap pills, but only because the government subsidize's them,

business only works for a return on the invested $ and fair enough to, its the unfair playing field that make the price so high

what we need is lots of small people supplying as well as the BIG boys,

proper capitalism (where we all get to play)not crony capitalism(only the big connected stnuc) is the only way 

sickness is a huge cash cow, they would rather keep you alive with pills, way past your time, to make as much as they can out of some tnuc that's paying for it(us)

• Upvote 2

Just received the call

The TGA  Approval has been granted.

I will receive a call in a week, the next day the prescribing dr's has an appointment available, to write up and send out the script.

Talking of a 'cash cow', I was told the TGA approval only lasts 6mths then needs to be renewed, but that the cost for that is minimal/included in the follow up. Now, I say 'minimal' BUT, the follow up calls are once/month for 3 months @ $80ea, from there an assessment will be made on further follow up appointments. So, I'll confirm (again) it is NOT a cheap/easy process.

Merl1n

• Upvote 3

Just received the call

The TGA Approval has been granted.

I will receive a call in a week, the next day the prescribing dr's has an appointment available, to write up and send out the script.

Talking of a 'cash cow', I was told the TGA approval only lasts 6mths then needs to be renewed, but that the cost for that is minimal/included in the follow up. Now, I say 'minimal' BUT, the follow up calls are once/month for 3 months @ $80ea, from there an assessment will be made on further follow up appointments. So, I'll confirm (again) it is NOT a cheap/easy process.

Merl1n

Unreal, just grow

"Unreal, just grow "

Ohh, I do. But there's a few reasons for doing all of this:

1. Rather than using GVM, where I'm unsure just which cannabinoid is giving benefit, this may refine it down a bit. Admittedly there are only 2 cannabinoids in the product. So if it doesn't work I know it isn't solely THC or CBD that works.

2. This is a digestible oil. Is the benefit better/worse/equal to smoking or vaping

3. Others may be considering canna as a pain management tool. What are the processes to gaining legal access? What are the benefits? What are the negatives? Is it worth the cost/hassle?

4. This info can then be fed back to the trial coordinators so they can petition/lobby govt to make it more easily accessible to all who may need it.

5. By participating in the trial it could benefit everybody.

Now, don't get me wrong here, this is by no means an altruistic undertaking, my plan is to get a benefit out of this too, even if that benefit is solely to work out what works best for me. But if that can assist others, even better for all IMO.

Merl1n 

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 4

No worries Lou. I've cocked up usernames myself, so all good.

"....140% for handling an S8 drug... I think it is fucking outrageous."

Even labelling it as an S8 is a joke.

But I asked another pharmacy today and 140% ain't too bad

They quoted me $450 for 25mL, so from $300/50mL to $450 for 25mL

The manufacturer advertises it online for $100/50mL, so that's a whooping 350% mark up

BUT and that's a big BUT the manufacturer is selling 50mL, I was quoted for 25mL, so that's a massive 700% mark up. WTF?????

Not even your local dealer would get away with such pricing, but a licensed pharmacy can???

Good old government regulation at work

Merl1n

• Upvote 2