Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

hey itchy ... sorry to chime in late mate

not pain related ... more tooth related.

been having trouble with teeth lately (clenching jaw side effects ... probably from looking at politicians) and have found tooth relief using high grade manuka honey.

not sure if it would be suitable in this case, but maybe even as a preventative measure for the future.

there's a few peer-reviewed articles around that show that it doesn't increase decay, but actually works to prevent it.

hope it's not too far off base mate.

• Upvote 2

your cool mate , chime in , no worries 

when you say high grade manuka honey are we talking the most expensive = high grade 

whats the metric to high grade ?

i've heard of the stuff but don't know anything about it apart from seeing some small jars

for a decent sized chunk of change 

i think i remember the label had a number on the front of the jar , i guess for quality / grade or something   

how do you use it pug ? , generally honeys anti-bacterial isn't it ? what's its benefit high light reel that work for you ?

thanks pug 

• Upvote 1

Hey Itchy,

Firstly, I completely agree with Lou and inflammation, reduce the inflammation, reduce the pain. If there's an infection under the tooth, it can be reduced (with antibiotics) but it can flair again, returning the pain

I have a bit of a teeth issue myself (I liked the bottle and needle a bit much in my younger days) health was WAY down the list of priorities... ..anyway I'm paying for it now, And my teeth give me hell.

Something I've found which can help is changing the pH in the mouth. How? With a mouthwash of milk when the pain starts. If the problems real bad, ya need a dentist, but a milk mouthwash can give some relief sometimes.

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

No worries Itchy, 

I have failing teeth and a serious dentist phobia. A couple of gel hot/cold packs are a very useful thing to have on hand. I keep one in the freezer and the other atop the microwave. Alternating a few minutes of heat and then a few minutes of cold over the area reduces pain by confusing the nerve signals. Works pretty well for isolated musculoskeletal and arthritic pain as well.

Cloves are an old cure that have stood the test of time (natural anaesthetic), but you have to be careful because it will burn if you get it on your tongue or gums and then intensify the pain. Other over the counter options are bonjela (its not just for babies) and Cepacaine mouthwash. 

I do everything in my power to avoid dentist visits.

And +1 to Merl1n's suggestion of milk, especially if eating sugary foods causes pain, milk will often reverse that.

• Upvote 2

thanks again guys 

interesting , milk you say to change the PH Merl , i use EM-1 ( PH 3.5 ) as a foliar spray on plants to change the PH of leaf surfaces

to discourage fungal pathogens like powdery mildew , a few lactobacillus strains in EM , in fact you can make a similar product at home 

you use milk to encourage the lactobacillus strains , anyway not the same thing but similar ways to change PH  

i'm not a fan of dentists either Lu , i used to run  away from primary school because the dentist bus would turn up & take kids to be traumatized

by these sadistic white coat wearers , i remember going & having my mouth held open by some contraption while they poked prodded & pulled 

at my mouth , hated it , so started to take off if i thought my number was up again to be taken to the torture place  lol 

• Upvote 3

Hi Crew, I was checking a Tv  news a few weeks back now an they said that the Manuka honey that is produced by the Bee's in the South Western of Western Australia is supposed to be the best of the Manuka honey an the strongest manuka honey for your dollar.  

It sure ain't cheap that is for sure.

Oh an my Grand pop used to use the nicotine from his backy pipe to rub on a painful tooth an it would help kill the pain.He used to use it on me when I had painful  teeth.

Regards,Dingo-2008. 

• Upvote 2

I crew,I had my normal 12 month check up with my medical cannabis doctor yesterday which went well as the seems to be switched on with treating people with chronic pain.

In the last 12 months I have dropped down   my intake of Morphine,/ down from 16mg of Jurnista-  to 8mg of Jurnista /Jurnista is a hydromorphone Hydrochloride an is about 3     times stronger than normal Morphine.

An plan on stopping all of the morphine based medications  with in the next 12 months,I don't want to rush stopping the morphine   to quickly as I may get sick from withdrawals.

I fined that having the cannabis flower an the cannabis CBD 10% X THC 10% seems to of helped with any bad withdrawal fellings.

The doctor has changed my strength of Cannabis flower from 10% cbd X 10 %thc ,up to 22 % THC X 22%  CBD. An the oil is,CBD- 22% X THC 22%.

so this strength should help me a lot more as I respond to The Cannabis treatment well an really does help calm the pain down to a manageable level,But I still have the liquid morphine rated at 10 ml Ordine 10.  I only use the Ordine10 for really bad break through pain that the other medications will not make a dent in chronic pain,As Merlin said    { Thunder Bolts from Hell } . 

This new cannabis medication is called {Desert Flame} the oil is from Tilray an the Flowers come from a Western Australian based  company an go by the name of {Little Green Pharma }

Please don't get the shit's on if I have this info wrong as this is the info from my doctor an the pharmacist  That I get my cannabis medication from.

I see on there website that they have a list of cannabis & CBD oils as they have 1 cannabis flower that is rated at  { 30% THC an very little amount of CBD % = around the 0.5% } I could be wrong on these % ratings so don't stoot the messanger.

Kind regards & All the best for the coming year,stay safe an don't go getting yourself busted over Christmas  & New Year,B good little stoners for the next few month's PMSL. :egyptdance: :santa: :good:

• Upvote 4