Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

g'day guys ... been a while, but hope all is well for you all.

not sure if this helps, but been vaping some Beacon - Girl Scout Cookies (think they are an aussie grower) - it's about $15 a gram and comes in a 10g container at 20% THC.

also noticed with my last script that the oil didn't come with the normal attached tga approval ... unless i just lost it. :)

Hi Pug,

That is the best price for flower I have seen so far...THANKS

Mick

Hi Merlin,they don't tell ya what cannabis strain they use,But they do tell you the THC-CBD Ratio.

The ratio is 10% THC X 10% CBD  The same ratio as the Tilray oil they give me.

I found a Australian web site that tell you all the forms of medical cannabis that is sold in Australia an if it is Indica or Sativa or a Hybrid strain an the amount of THC  an CBD that is in the medical cannabis  strain.

I will try an find that link an post it here in this thread.

Regards,Dingo-2008. 

Hi Dingo, would you still have that link available?

Ta

Mick

Hi, I'm in Sydney and I'm at wits end with the rigmarole of it all. I've been a smoker for 13 odd years and get little relief from anything but cannabis, but I'm getting older and both my physical and mental health are deteriorating to a point where I cant keep up and the risks of being scammed are far too high and numerous.

If I walked into a Dr tomorrow (Sydney NSW) would they be able to help? Would they laugh at me? I'm not able to read this whole thread, but I guess I'm out of options at this point. I guess I'm going to a Dr tomorrow anyway. If I remember I will ask him and report back on my own experience.

I'm just so sick and tired of being criminalised and looked down on because I'm seeking relief from chronic pain and mental health problems. It shouldn't be like this, especially when poison like alcohol is sold on the corner of every street. If my attempts here fail my next option is to try (unsuccessfully probably) to flee the country and get myself somewhere where I can live a simple quiet few years before my arthritis disables me. To be at such a point mentally in the "land of opportunity and getting a fair go" is beyond ridiculous.

Hey SootheOperator,

Before you go to your dr tomorrow, give these fellas a call Medical Cannabis Australia | Cannabis Access Clinics (caclinics.com.au)

They will tell you what is needed from your dr, basically speaking you'll probably need a referral from your dr. They can do the rest of it via video call

Some GP's can be a bit 'Ohh I don't know anything about it...' and just send you away. If you do the leg work first by calling the clinic You can tell the dr exactly what you need.

BUT

Be warned, it is expensive to obtain the govt approvals and then there's the cost of the medication itself.

My first script cost $185 for 5grams back in 2019, my most recent script cost $223 for 10grams (that's after the cost of the approvals).

Hope it helps

Merl1n

I think its worth noting that NSW nurses are formally behind getting Medicinal Cannabis on the PBS

https://www.nswnma.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NSWNMA-Position-Statement-on-Medicinal-Cannabis.pdf

They are also providing ongoing education for nurses in this area....All very positive.

https://www.nswnma.asn.au/education/scholarships/medicinal-cannabis-conference-scholarship/

Ta

Mick

• Upvote 2

Hi crew ,Merl,& Mick,   Try this link, I hope it works for you all.{  https://honahlee.com.au/explore/  } There is some very good info for all to be had at this web site.Happy reading crew.

Sorry it took so long for me to post this link,As I have been a we bit sick due to my illnesses, I can't think of what may be causing all this bloody pain.lol. :unknw:

Regards,Dingo-2008. :unknw: :peace: