g'day all :)

seems like a few of us are trying out the blumat classic carrots - the ones that don't use a gravity or pressure system like the blumat trophs ... i think a few ozstoners might already be using them successfully.

was thinking a thread about our experiences, suggestions or advice might be handy ... especially for blumat newbies like myself.

in my situation...

putting in two blumat classics XL into two 56 litre fabric pots - 4 in total. Pots are filled with about two-thirds to three-quarters of soil (LOS) and are about 45cm in diameter. each pot has about a 3cm mulch layer (mainly made up of sugar cane mulch and cannabis stems), as well as, the start of some living mulch.

looking to use one 3.8L water container initially at the same level as the soil ie bottom of pot = bottom of water container. have a couple of blumat digitals to try and dial in the moisture level. some photos of the set up, later.

recommendations on carrot placement and the possibility of using em1 in the container, as well as any other advice ... warmly welcomed. :)

Edited by pug1010
  • Upvote 2

hey mate 

i haven't set mine up yet 

do they say somewheres that a carrot can water a 300mm radius or is that just with the drip system ?

i'm sure you could use EM through the carrots PNSB in em should keep things pretty clean but i don't really know

although from memory they don't recommend using nutrients through the carrots , do they ?

PNSB = Purple Non Sulfur Bacteria   

are using a cover for the rez & putting it in a dark light proof container , isn't that what hydro guys do 

for there rez ?

• Upvote 1

hey mate :)

would be great to have the rez so it'd be easy to see the water level without getting a buildup of crud ... might try to put some panda film loosely taped over the container initially and see how it goes. love the idea of using PNSB in the container to self-clean ... wonder if well-strained soap nut would help too ...

i think to start though, i'll going to go vanilla and concentrate on getting the height sorted ... then maybe experiment. :)

not sure about the radius ... there's not a huge amount of info about them around. looked at some of the comments on amazon and found something of interest ...

_______

rescued a withered little Hibiscus from a clearance rack five years ago. After several years of nursing it along, the plant is now in a 14" pot, the trunk is 5" in circumference and my husband has had to cut it back twice to keep the size manageable. In searching for a way to water the plant while on vacation, I came across the Blumat system. Not having used anything like this before, I took a guess at what I needed and purchased two of the X-Large plant waterers. They worked better than I could have imagined. The plant looked so good when I returned that I decided to leave the Blumats in and use them all the time. Mine are set up as follows: I used two X-Large Blumats in the pot, one on each side of the plant, and use a one gallon pitcher for the water source. The instructions say to have the water level even with the plastic cap on the stake. If the plant requires more water, raise the water source slightly, if it needs less, lower it. I have mine elevated so when the container is full, the surface of the water is about 3" above the plastic caps. Set up this way, they reliably deliver a gallon of water every 7 days.
_______

hope you don't mind itchy ... brought over the info on height settings from another page that you posted ...

Installation

montage1(1).pngmontage2(1).pngmontage3(1).pngmontage4(1).pngmontage5(1).png

1. Remove green cap.
  2. Soak clay cone in water for about 15 minutes.
  3. Fill the clay cone with water.
  4. Press the cap on the completely full clay cone.
  5. Insert the Blumat into the soil near the roots. The clay cone must be completely under the soil.
  6. Place the tube in a water container. Ready!

montage6(1).png

Tip: It is best to attach the cap when the tube is already in the water container. Then most of the air is pushed out of the tube and the watering starts faster.

Water Level

funktion1.png

The water level in the water container is the same or slightly lower than the green Blumat cap.

This is the ideal position, water is dispensed according to the degree of moisture in the soil. Water discharge is approx.

75 ml / 24 h or 125 ml / 24 h (XL)

funktion2.png

The water level in the water container is significantly lower than the green Blumat cap.

Watering is dispensed according to the degree of moisture in the soil. As the roots need more energy to draw in water, water discharge reduces to approx.

50 ml / 24 h or 75 ml / 24 h (XL)

funktion3.png

The water level in the water container is higher than the green Blumat cap.

This positioning allows water to flow from the container into the cone, the Blumat Classic therefore constantly discharges water even if the soil is moist enough. The water discharge can amount to up to

150 ml / 24 h, or 200 ml / 24h (XL)

Edited by pug1010
  • Upvote 1

no worries adding the water height info here 

don't know what will run though a carrot other than water 

as long as your happy to possibly loose them in testing 

go for it , try everything , just not all at once 

you might be surprised how quickly a mulch layer can be consumed 

with constant moisture , add to that the reuse of soil & pot & ya might not 

need anything but water 

• Upvote 1

you might be surprised how quickly a mulch layer can be consumed 

with constant moisture , add to that the reuse of soil & pot & ya might not 

need anything but water 

that would be a real achievement mate ... definitely something for me to aim for. :)

as to the classics ...

been busy in the tent ... not hard though with only two small plants. speaking of ... these are the banana alfies. :) ... had to delay them for a little while ... but now they are up and running. two different phenos - one really leggy and the other, squat as.

blumat classics are in. just had enough tubing for the outside ones, but all good. have filled the rez up to 3.5L with all the blumat siphons on the bottom. marked the rez in 500ml increments and put over a flimsy panda film cover - which will probably need a bit of work down the track.

will keep an eye on the water level over the next couple of days and also the blumat digital readings. noticed that KIS organics had their recommended soil moisture range between 80-120mb (higher being dryer) - reckon their soil is similar enough to use their suggestions.

post-14354-0-59781100-1559133340_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-31166700-1559133376_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-94699000-1559133414_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-10080400-1559133484_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-50290700-1559133531_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-47648100-1559133570_thumb.jpg

Looking good pug. Not wrong about the difference in those two !

cheers sooty ... should be interesting to see how they both grow out. :)

lookin good mate 

yep i'd go with KIS organics rec's 

how did the banana fem'ing go or is it still in progress ?

still in progress itchy ... these girls have been through the wars a bit mate - too long in the space (not) bucket. 

next time will just bite the bullet and get a small tent - could manage to fit in a 1 ft x 2ft ... should be a good size for a seedling or two and also a dry tent.

as to the blumat classics ... decided to tape the rez to prevent light going in. when i need another rez ... will go to aldi and buy a kettle ... gotta be easier. :)

went through 500ml of water in a 24hr period ... hoping they are just settling in and maybe filling the tubes with water.

post-14354-0-21360700-1559226751_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

if there the banana fem plants in the pic , they look alright 

did you give the pots you put the carrots in a good water drenching b4 hand ?

when using sip's the first rez filling of water gets wicked up pretty quick then 

the water usage backs off quite allot depending on temps , plant size ect ect 

wonder if these carrots are doing the same , getting there environment right first up 

• Upvote 1

if there the banana fem plants in the pic , they look alright 

did you give the pots you put the carrots in a good water drenching b4 hand ?

when using sip's the first rez filling of water gets wicked up pretty quick then 

the water usage backs off quite allot depending on temps , plant size ect ect 

wonder if these carrots are doing the same , getting there environment right first up 

cheers itchy ... that's them ... the banana fem alfies.

no mate ... i didn't give either of them a big drench ... could definitely be a factor in the water uptake delay. one of them was at about 70mb and the other 120mb - both sides of the range.

luckily, i think there is a bit of leeway with them - guessing it will just take a little longer to get their environment sorted ... reckon they are worth the effort though. over the last 24hr period, they soaked up 800ml ... they kept the pot moisture level for about 8hrs and then it started to get slowly drier. love these blumat digitals ... thanks for the advice mate ... it makes watering fun. :)  also noted that the moister pot (70mb) was the one that stayed at a steady level longer.

will keep adjusting slowly over the next couple of days.