Fungus Gnats or Something Else?

Only my 2nd grow and my first soil grow. These little buggers showed up a few days after I up potted to a big mix of super soil. Kinda look like fungus gnats, but I'm not sure.

I gave the soil surface a good dusting of DE and I'll probably spray with But Out. Early veg still, so no worries about tainting buds....

a4e468a26b9f63fd8dcfa0794a613660.jpg043a23b7ae58e80edae911c07a49c632.jpg9bab4ceef3811d9e13be8b9597dfdac5.jpg

Nah may just be a reminense of what was in the bag. If they can’t land on the top though you should be okay. You def no if you have an infestation. Gnats more annoying than anything and it’s there larvae that do the real damage at eating the roots. If anything putting 1cm cube of raw potato just under soil surface will help reduce larvae if ever needed. Though I think it’s minuscule what you have

If you're seeing that many on them mate they already have laid their eggs,because u have persisted to not let them dry out your soil is more than likely infested with larvae,where do u think those adults came from

U might get lucky n prevent any damage,or your roots have already been attacked n the evidence will appear on the plant itself soon,it will look similar to nutrient defiency or nutrient lockout

Best treat ,let them completely dry out,pot is as light as it will get,then wait 3 days n treat again,get what ever u have on top of your soil off so it can dry out

Treatment with neem doesn't necessarily kill them,but making the environment bug unfriendly will

Gnats won't go in soil that stays dry,a good fan not a pissy little thing over the top of your pots will also stop them getting comfortable ,I know your plant needs water,a old friend of mine ,Greenqueen,was a never afraid to let her pots completely dry out to the point that they started to droop,then water

This I think is a strategy u should adopt

There were several reasons she did this,don't think any one here is gonna knock her methods or results, maybe u should read 1 of her grow diaries,you will get all the information u require to grow a decent plant in soil in a pot ,much more information than u will get from Google or most ppl on here

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 2

I use a neem oil soil drench. The organic one from Bunnings is great. Enzymatic products also help

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Creppy's got it

Neem Oil does wonders

kills bugs molds even flies

organic and systemic

cheers/

Edited by VOSTOK
  • Upvote 1