Health professionals wary of medicinal cannabis misuse

Health professionals wary of medicinal cannabis misuse and adverse effects: QUT research

https://www.qut.edu.au/news?id=143688

A QUT analysis of studies gauging attitudes to medicinal cannabis has found that while health professionals are broadly supportive, they feel they lack clinical and legislative knowledge, and their greatest concerns are the psychiatric harm that may be caused to patients and misuse by recreational drug users.

The findings have been reported in PLOS One.

Key points:

• 26 published studies conducted in Australia, the United States, Canada, Ireland and internationally were analysed
  • These studies assessed the beliefs, knowledge and concerns about medicinal cannabis held by medical practitioners, nurses, pharmacists and allied health professionals
  • Generally, health professionals supported clinical use of medicinal cannabis, however they said they lacked knowledge across all aspects, from pharmacology and dosing to legislation around access, distribution and supply
  • Their greatest concerns about the drug were patient harm, adverse drug interactions and whether cannabis would be obtained ‘medicinally’ as a legal guise for recreational use (use link for more)

ALSO

Health professional beliefs, knowledge, and concerns surrounding medicinal cannabis – A systematic review

can be found here

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0216556

I see the problem with putting it in the hands of medical practitioners is that their whole training has the focus of linear thinking ie. if I give this than this will happen (chemically) and I need give this as well because it will give this side effect etc. 

It would be best if for example it was given to herbalists and natural health practitioners as their training is often slightly different in that the thinking involved is not so linear and other aspects of the ailing person are considered as a whole.

Not knocking either as everything has its place but it makes sense to me that a herbalist would be more adept handling the prescription of a herb than a Doc.

But also the right to medicate yourself eg growing your own herb.

There is a lot of arrogance in the medical profession and they are not easily swayed from what drug company research tells them. My wife was in the industry for a time and has seen the corruption that goes on.

The cannabis resurgence is a major threat to the whole industry and this will expose the doctors who are looking after their patients best interest or looking after their own wallets.

Edited by wearthefoxhat
  • Upvote 1

If the big pharmas are not involved, the financial kickbacks the dr's get for prescribing the pharma concoctions will be less.

So, why would the AMA support a non pharma related medication when it's not lining their pocket.

It has more to do with medical ignorance, but you'll never get a dr to admit to that fact. The attitude of 'We are the dr's. We have done years of study. So we know it all' still prevails

It's all about the sacred $$$, it has SFA to do with patient care. There's no drug company sponsored international conference trips for natural products.

A few weeks back, in the U.S. there was the annual 'Orphan Drug Conference'. What is an Orphan drug? An orphan drug is a substance developed by a drug company that 'may' treat a condition

BUT

Because it may have a limited number of patients/consumers it may not be financially viable to produce, so they stop manufacturing it. These drugs are known as orphans.

If canna assists an individual then the individual is less likely to need a pharma drug. The pharmas don't want that, so to keep their market share it's much more financially viable to them to keep canna out of the picture and minimise the use of their orphans, no matter how well they may assist a patient. It's all about greed, profit and the mighty $$$$$

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

Are these people for real. All if he know about things like if you start having a bad effect as in tripping out on cannabis just have a piece of fruit or a juice. We put oil from capsules in kids food at work all the time that parents request and supply to stop seizure in kids (no I don't work in a hospital just a school) The doctors need to remember the oath they take - care for the sick.

Or as I've heard many nurses say over the years. The hypocritical oath..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

The 'hypocritical' oath is about right Aqua.

I'm on more meds than I care to list, hell, I damn near rattle when I walk

But because my pain is still 'unmanaged' by the medicos, they point at my use of opiates for my ongoing pain even though my use of the opiates is BELOW what is medically recommended.

I attended a pain management clinic where someone brought up canna as a pain management tool. They were shutdown real quick as "That's an unapproved treatment"

Who cares if it's approved or not? If it assists the patients' wellbeing be that physically or psychologically, approved or not, then to hell with the medicos/the AMA/ the government.

I have to manage all of this for myself, not for any of these hypocritical self important, self righteous bastards. I've even offered them my pain free of charge, but none of them seem to want it and nor do I

So, IMO I will use whatever works for me, approved or not.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

"That's an unapproved treatment" 

Well they are wrong there.

It can be prescribed by certain doctors but the trick is to find one that can. The sooner they learn about this medicine the better for all sufferers. Interesting that they can prescribe all sorts of nasties with fucked up side effects yet trying to get cannabis is like getting blood out of a stone.

Edited by wearthefoxhat