Humidity question

Thanks for suggestion.

I read this interesting post

https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/aloe-vera.90278/

That's why I thought if I can utilise it as I have aloe vera available and wouldn't cost me anything. Just wondering if anyone tried it as a foilar feed

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

hey spider

i have no experience with coco mate, but there are heaps of good coco growers on the forum who can help. regarding your soil ... if it was me, i would transplant the plant (growing in the soil) as soon as possible - just to get out of the plastic cup and spread it's roots. i use the vpd chart as well - have found it really useful. :)

as to the aloe vera fillets ... the instructions from your link look pretty good mate. i've never used fresh fillets (instead use the 200:1 powder), but have included some info from clackamas coot (he is considered highly amongst notill soil growers). he reckons that fresh aloe vera is the best way to apply aloe ... just a bit more mucking around ... his comments are below:

Aloe vera - if you're going to use fresh fillets (best method, IMHO) then you only want to add about 2 tablespoons to 1 gallon of water - that's an uber safe mixing ratio. fresh is best.

if you have the luxury of growing Aloe vera plants then head over to YouTube and there is a plethora of videos showing how to work with Aloe vera fillets as they're called. The only warning that I want to give you on doing your own thing is that Aloe vera contains high levels of Benzoic acid which begins to ferment in less than 20 minutes once it's exposed to air. just butterfly the leaf and either squeeze or scrape out the goo. Definitely strain before spraying, it will clog your sprayer.

as to the timing ... i start spraying aloe (just a small amount initially to cover the plant) about 14-16 days (after the seed pops), if the seedlings are growing well - if growing slowly, then at the four or 5 node mark. i usually continue this every 7-10 days until the first two weeks of flowering - i also add small amounts of neem oil with this though to help in pest management.

hope it helps spider. :)

Edited by pug1010
  • Upvote 1

hey spider

i have no experience with coco mate, but there are heaps of good coco growers on the forum who can help. regarding your soil ... if it was me, i would transplant the plant (growing in the soil) as soon as possible - just to get out of the plastic cup and spread it's roots. i use the vpd chart as well - have found it really useful. :)

as to the aloe vera fillets ... the instructions from your link look pretty good mate. i've never used fresh fillets (instead use the 200:1 powder), but have included some info from clackamas coot (he is considered highly amongst notill soil growers). he reckons that fresh aloe vera is the best way to apply aloe ... just a bit more mucking around ... his comments are below:

Aloe vera - if you're going to use fresh fillets (best method, IMHO) then you only want to add about 2 tablespoons to 1 gallon of water - that's an uber safe mixing ratio. fresh is best.

if you have the luxury of growing Aloe vera plants then head over to YouTube and there is a plethora of videos showing how to work with Aloe vera fillets as they're called. The only warning that I want to give you on doing your own thing is that Aloe vera contains high levels of Benzoic acid which begins to ferment in less than 20 minutes once it's exposed to air. just butterfly the leaf and either squeeze or scrape out the goo. Definitely strain before spraying, it will clog your sprayer.

as to the timing ... i start spraying aloe (just a small amount initially to cover the plant) about 14-16 days (after the seed pops), if the seedlings are growing well - if growing slowly, then at the four or 5 node mark. i usually continue this every 7-10 days until the first two weeks of flowering - i also add small amounts of neem oil with this though to help in pest management.

hope it helps spider. :)

Thanks a lot.

I feel like overprotective parent

Spending way too much time in my garage looking at them. Was it like this for everyone else their first grow? :)

yes ... definitely mate ... still is for me - only have a small grow area, so not as much to look at :)

i like to spend as much time as possible with my plants and really like reading next to them while breathing in their goodness.

i reckon growing is just as much fun as smoking/vaping. also enjoy learning a bit more each day (some times a lot more) ... there are some serious green thumbs on the forum and it's nice to have access to their knowledge and experience. :)

yes ... definitely mate ... still is for me - only have a small grow area, so not as much to look at :)

i like to spend as much time as possible with my plants and really like reading next to them while breathing in their goodness.

i reckon growing is just as much fun as smoking/vaping. also enjoy learning a bit more each day (some times a lot more) ... there are some serious green thumbs on the forum and it's nice to have access to their knowledge and experience. :)

Moved them to the 3 gallon pots.

Do you mulch soil indoors if yes what sort of mulch should I use?

Hey Spider :)

nice one mate ... i reckon they will be feeling lots better.

regarding mulch ... i asked itchybromusic the same question a few weeks ago ... i ask him a fair few questions :) ...

_____

i noticed that one company is selling certified organic mulch (http://www.martinsfe...m.au/mulch.html) ... not sure how good it is, but was just wondering which of the following you would use first for mulch ...

wheaten straw

lucerne mulch

Pea Straw (hay) mulch

_____

and this was his reply ...

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/81099-list-of-australian-organic-notill-amendments-and-components/page-12

'll assume the wheaten straw is left overs after harvest 

which would generally mean it is very low or has no nutrients 

full of lignin which feed fungi & is the browns part of greens &

browns composting , also used as bedding for animals 

grains like wheat or barley , grow , gather all the nutrients they require 

in the plant to produce seed , once harvest is happening , all the nutrients 

in the plant has been used up producing seed leaving only straw behind  

lucerne or alfalfa as our American friends call it , is generally harvested as feed

for animals as it has plenty of nutrients in the plant matter B4 producing seed 

this is your greens part of composting 

general rule , straw is bedding for animals ( no nutes ) & hay is feed for animals ( lots of nutes ) 

but as i say that Pea Straw does not fit in that rule , it should be called pea hay as it still has nutrients available 

i generally go with using straw because i choose to use a living mulch / cover crop 

which i chop & drop on the straw i have in the pot , so i have my browns & greens

along with living green manure as a mulch layer

if you have the time ... DoNothingGarden's thread also provides lots of good soil info:

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/80835-organic-pro-biotic-and-organic-growing-without-bottled-nutrients/?do=findComment&comment=608011

i hope it helps mate

ps: ... as to the mulch i use ... i couldn't get any wheat and barley straw where i am, so i ended up using organic sugar cane as mulch (hopefully it will be similar). will also be following itchy's suggestions and using a diverse mix of cover crops this time around. so ...  suppose a mixture of organic and living mulch. :)

Edited by pug1010

Hey Spider :)

nice one mate ... i reckon they will be feeling lots better.

regarding mulch ... i asked itchybromusic the same question a few weeks ago ... i ask him a fair few questions :) ...

_____

i noticed that one company is selling certified organic mulch (http://www.martinsfe...m.au/mulch.html) ... not sure how good it is, but was just wondering which of the following you would use first for mulch ...

wheaten straw

lucerne mulch

Pea Straw (hay) mulch

_____

and this was his reply ...

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/81099-list-of-australian-organic-notill-amendments-and-components/page-12

'll assume the wheaten straw is left overs after harvest

which would generally mean it is very low or has no nutrients

full of lignin which feed fungi & is the browns part of greens &

browns composting , also used as bedding for animals

grains like wheat or barley , grow , gather all the nutrients they require

in the plant to produce seed , once harvest is happening , all the nutrients

in the plant has been used up producing seed leaving only straw behind

lucerne or alfalfa as our American friends call it , is generally harvested as feed

for animals as it has plenty of nutrients in the plant matter B4 producing seed

this is your greens part of composting

general rule , straw is bedding for animals ( no nutes ) & hay is feed for animals ( lots of nutes )

but as i say that Pea Straw does not fit in that rule , it should be called pea hay as it still has nutrients available

i generally go with using straw because i choose to use a living mulch / cover crop

which i chop & drop on the straw i have in the pot , so i have my browns & greens

along with living green manure as a mulch layer

if you have the time ... DoNothingGarden's thread also provides lots of good soil info:

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/80835-organic-pro-biotic-and-organic-growing-without-bottled-nutrients/?do=findComment&comment=608011

i hope it helps mate

ps: ... as to the mulch i use ... i couldn't get any wheat and barley straw where i am, so i ended up using organic sugar cane as mulch (hopefully it will be similar). will also be following itchy's suggestions and using a diverse mix of cover crops this time around. so ... suppose a mixture of organic and living mulch. :)

Thanks for the links. That was a good read.

I ended up mulching with organic sugarcane too. That's all I had laying around the house.

• Upvote 1

Seriously u gotta just learn to leave it alone

First reason is they r already under stress n u r making worse, 2nd ,these techniques r for healthy plants,n certainly not 1 that small

Be patient,it generally takes 2 weeks for a plant to start to show any signs of recovery

U seem to expect immediate results,it don't work like that

By now the stems in around the soil level r maybe showing signs of mould or stem rot

Any root damage will be disguised by the smell of the straw, if it's as wet as u say,good chance they aren't healthy now either

U seem hellbent on of going in the same direction as u r now

Good luck hope u pull it off

Just 1 more thing, trying to copy a guy like itchy is 1 thing,having the know how to go even close to pull it off is another

Trying to match his results,well good luck with that as well