Humidifiers

What sort of, or model humidifiers everyone using.

I've been just keeping humidity up with a wet sponge in there, but moving to a bigger tent (1.2 X 1.2) figured I should get myself a humidifier.

Was expecting to be able to set a level n have it maintain, but not much on eBay capable of that.

Biggest tank was 6ltr

What's your setup?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

hey newbudgrower ... you could always check a vpd chart before investing in a humidifier, which gives a good idea (at least in my opinion:)) of what is a good humidity level for a set temperature. many growers base their humidity/temp levels on 24 degrees celcius at 50-60% humidity. for places where i've grown ... that would have required some serious equipment to maintain ... even for my small grows. :)

think itchy posted this one a while ago. i look at it as a good guide and try to keep out of the red zone, but don't sweat it, if around the red zone edges - with a good amount of air circulation. :)

post-14354-0-36206700-1556462719_thumb.gif

• Upvote 1

hey newbudgrower ... you could always check a vpd chart before investing in a humidifier, which gives a good idea (at least in my opinion:)) of what is a good humidity level for a set temperature. many growers base their humidity/temp levels on 24 degrees celcius at 50-60% humidity. for places where i've grown ... that would have required some serious equipment to maintain ... even for my small grows. :)

think itchy posted this one a while ago. i look at it as a good guide and try to keep out of the red zone, but don't sweat it, if around the red zone edges - with a good amount of air circulation. :)

At certain times of the year, in my area anyway I've noticed that I could hit the sweet spot fairly well with a glasshouse. Not all the time, but significant periods throughout the year. Of course once I start to operate or experiment with my theory could show different results

diy humidifier  https://youtu.be/CPo50unwFB4 possibly cheaper to diy 

i used to float a fogger in a bucket of water with a box fan sitting behind the bucket 

circulating the humidity/fog round the room

there are 2 poss probs with that , water splash landing outside the bucket from the fogger

& most , not all foggers have LED lights , both those issues can be fixed by using a lid

on ya bucket dear liza :) , which leads to the above DIY humidifier link 

if you really want to get into VPD buy a infrared thermometer https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2386202.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Infrared+Thermometer&_sacat=0

to check canopy leaf surface temps , workout the leaf temp average & adjust humidity from there using the chart 

link from royal queen seeds 

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-vpd-how-can-vapour-pressure-deficit-boost-cannabis-yields-n893

HOW DOES IT WORK IN PRACTICE?

Start by getting an infrared thermometer gun. These can be found quite cheaply with lower precision tolerances,

but are good enough to get the job done and let you see first hand how effective VPD actually is. Or, out of curiosity,

to see how far off you are from optimal performance.

You start by pointing and shooting the gun’s laser over your top canopy while you take leaf surface temperature readings.

These will vary across your canopy, so take a good few measurements at your most productive regions. Average these

values to get a final temperature reading, and then grab your current RH% level.

Simply cross-reference these numbers in a chart like this one, and you will know where you sit regarding VPD. The best

of it, no calculations are needed.

If (not surprisingly) you are too far away from optimal levels, just look at the closest, most viable option (temperature or RH%)

and tweak your grow room accordingly.

That is essentially it. Do this from time to time to keep a good VPD in its place, and get prepared to be amazed.

If you thought you knew your strain well, you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

To really take this to an entirely new level, consider purchasing a continuous measuring unit and see how temperature

and RH% varies during a full day-night cycle, permitting you to adjust for ultimate peak performance.

Edited by itchybromusic

If you quantify that with a RH number, we can help more.

I only responded the way I did because of my experience growing in Adelaide. It's pretty dry there and I never worried about RH. Still got respectable results.

I think Pedro's response was tongue in cheek.

If I keep sponge wet in there it can be around 60-70

But I often forget to wet it and seen as low as 28

Thought might have been simple to just buy a humidifier and set a desired RH