When to start the Flowering period - based on bud formation

G'day all :)

There was some good discussion on when growers start counting their flowering period on Newbudgrower's thread 'When dyu count your day 1 from. From the information given, I reckon from now on for my own grow records (and any future grow diaries i do), I'm going to include both the light flip date (for me, I start on 13-11) and also the initial bud formation date. As such ... I was hoping for opinions on three photos to let me know, when you reckon initial bud growth has occurred - that way, hopefully there will be a rough agreement and it might help new growers with seed company flowering guesstimates.:)

alrighty then ... so the first picture is at Day 6 since changing to 13-11, the second is at Day 14 and the last at Day 17. If you reckon that none of them are a good indicator of new bud growth ... no worries either ... just let me know.

post-14354-0-38231600-1556360065_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-07057000-1556360091_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-98473300-1556360116_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

i would say unless your growing the same clone each grow 

where it would be handy to know a time frame for planning purposes

or your a seed maker & need good timing to pollinate for maximum seed production  

the start of flower is not as significant as the end & when to harvest 

counting days can often lead to a early harvest 

it's def handy to know how many flower weeks breeders suggest 

but there are a number things that can alter flowering time , lack of N in flower 

excess of microbial's used at the end of flower , can both extend flower times

on the other hand some say the regular use of MBP can quicken flower times

how many days/weeks or triscombe color

trust your eyes i reckon  

• Upvote 1

thanks pedro and itchy :)

know what you're saying itchy about the end of harvest being the most important aspect and that there are factors that can speed (and slow) things down - there are heaps of variables. personally, i use two 30x scopes to check my trichs to determine when to chop - one old school and the other a bit more modern. :) sometimes though (lately ... most times) i have had to chop early due to outside factors ... this might be the first time though due to a lack of food ... still not 100% sure there - i'm interested to see if she can put on weight towards the end of the grow. :) which also reminds me that i've had grows where the trichs are where i want them, but the buds haven't fattened up to where i thought they should be.

i'm also interested to see which of these ways of counting flowering time is the closest to actual seed company guestimates - i'm guessing it will be the bud formation way, all variables considered, however ... i'm not sure. i know when i first started growing that the seed company estimates were usually way off and i had no real idea when to start 'counting'. i'm hoping some interesting generalisations might be found and that it might help new growers regarding which way is the most accurate to gauging a good harvest time (or at least period) - especially those that are a couple of weeks off and getting a bit impatient. :) also in my case ... any time data is valuable when needing to fit in a grow in to a short period of time.

the pictures are hopefully a way for those that count flowering time (from initial bud formation) ... to give a rough idea of what the buds of a plant look like using this method. basically .. a starting point. :)  for me when counting flowering time from bud formation ... from the pictures above, i'd normally say that Day 6 was not quite there and day 14 was already there ... so somewhere in between, however, if most growers feel differently, than i will use that as my baseline and then slowly collect the data over various grows to see if there are any patterns. :)

if i have a few spare weeks ... hehehe ... i might also start to go through some old grow diaries where similar lights, medium (possibly amendments) and strains (that i want to try) were grown. see if i can find any patterns. :) i've found that when i mix afghani#1 and lemon skunk ... i can sometimes find unusual joy from this sort of stuff ... :))

Edited by pug1010