Pump eating taproot

Im using a simple drip feed with the pots over the rez (the correct name of this isn't coming to me atm)

Ive had it do this before, usually stunting growth a good week or two, but giving me branchy tops as expected with say trimming a taproot without topping it.

Usually i wouldn't mind but im trying to get this one done as fast as i can.

Just wondering if anyone had some creative non obvious ideas on how i might stop this from happening.

2 weeks into flower, tap root with its outreach id say 2 weeks away from the pump.

Thanks guys.

Get another tub like the one that you're already using and stack them, make the bottom one your rez tank with the pump in it, and use the existing one as it currently is. Roughly about the bottom third of the tub that has the plants in it, drill a 3/4 (18mm) hole and connect it so the overflow of the top tub runs back into the rez, that way the plants always have some roots in water (naturally re-route your irrigation system to feed to the top again).

I can't think of the name of your setup either, but it's pretty well what I use for plants to 6 weeks old, to which they then go into their own RDWC bucket. But yeah, you will be disappointed if you think you can finish them off in a similar setup like you mentioned. In time, the pump will be smothered and lost in the roots, most likely around half way through the grow.

I think the real ? here is how big a plant u want n what space is going to be required for a root system to support them till finish

Outside this isn't a consideration,as the root system tends to grow in a different way,ie sending down a tap root

Where as indoors root systems tend to be much more delicate with many fine fibres forming a net if u like as the food source is abundant

Taking this into consideration I would think the only solution to your problem is as Indy suggested,or getting a much bigger setup,again catch 22,the bigger the DWC setup the more room for roots,less room for plants

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Thanks for your abundant responses guys.

Micmac its just a tent grow, i have grown in this fashion previously with much success (and a few failures) Im not looking for huge plants this time around i only vegged for 3 weeks. Speed is my focus on this run, i didn't even top or lst. All natty.

and in regard to your mentioning delicate root systems i will expand on this further down.

Indycar, 2 tubs is a good idea i have done that before, could even consider letting the top tub be a Run To Waste.

To everyone else, adding a filter to the pump and facing it against the rez wall will have to be my experiment for this grow.

With that decision made i now face a new issue.

--- Since changing the water weekly i have noticed the roots (which have grown into the rez via the taproot) have gone from a thick bright white growing at haste,

to a shriveled off white stagnant (even resembling dead) spindle of unhappiness. Despite so far not coming anywhere near close to contact with the pump.

--- Yet the oddest thing is there is no sign up top of any dismay, on the contrary, she is in full stretch week 2-3 of flower looking extremely healthy. Perky no discoloration,

Stretching at haste, much resembling the tap root and its branchlings a week earlier.

--- Just to add she is drinking quickly, almost has drank 10ltrs in less than a week.

Now I will admit im not oxygenating the rez water which im seriously considering, no airstone, no bubbles, just a water pump (it's been a while)

Before you shoot me on site the reason i haven't implemented at least bubbles is due to previous tent failures where mold was a problem, which i attribute to the powerful exhaust fan sucking moisture through the air out of the bubbling rez water.

So the taproot and its branchlings are sitting in stagnant drip drip water with the small amount of movement from the pump. (Yet they weren't complaining a week ago)

So in the next 2 days im planning to :

--- Implement an airpump for at least some bubbling

--- Change the drip feeder to more of a more flood feeder ( it is rockwool 2nd cube in hydrodon pebbles )

I look forward to all responses and dearly appreciate the ones so far.

P.S Just to make clear it has been a while since i have grown, but have done so on and off over the last 20 years, i had an account on here a decade ago which i really wish i had kept but life has kept me busy to say the least.

Also i will try to include pictures from now on, as this post has reminded me a picture is worth a thousand words.

Edited by crayziewon