Foliage feeding when in flower

Yes Deiter it is a bad idea

Your flowers are going to be dense, any external fluids getting to the buds will not be able to naturally evaporate and this will cause mould in your buds.

Personally I'm not a fan of foliar feeds for a couple of reasons.

1) When the nute rich fluids hit the leaves and the light evaporates the fluid, it isn't just the nute fluids that are evaporated but also fluid from within the leaf through a process known as trans-evaporation. This is why it's recommended people do not water their lawns in full sunlight as the evaporation process will burn the grass.

2) In Nutrient rich fluids, Once that fluid has evaporated the salts that remain can burn the leaves, leaving brown burn spots all over.

3) The mould issue stated above

I know that some are into foliar feeds. I definitely would not be recommending foliar feeds when in flower.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Not a good idea when they're in bud .

Thanks

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Yes Deiter it is a bad idea

Your flowers are going to be dense, any external fluids getting to the buds will not be able to naturally evaporate and this will cause mould in your buds.

Personally I'm not a fan of foliar feeds for a couple of reasons.

1) When the nute rich fluids hit the leaves and the light evaporates the fluid, it isn't just the nute fluids that are evaporated but also fluid from within the leaf through a process known as trans-evaporation. This is why it's recommended people do not water their lawns in full sunlight as the evaporation process will burn the grass.

2) In Nutrient rich fluids, Once that fluid has evaporated the salts that remain can burn the leaves, leaving brown burn spots all over.

3) The mould issue stated above

I know that some are into foliar feeds. I definitely would not be recommending foliar feeds when in flower.

Merl1n

Thanks for that detail, very helpful cheers

Don't mind Billy, he lacks tact but knows his stuff. I don't think he means harm??? I suggest you give it back and see what happens.

Agree with the guys above. IMO theres no need to foliar feed. You can't force feed a plant, like a Foie gras goose. The roots should be able to supply the tops without need for extra.

Foliar feeding is an excellent way to rapidly correct a defficiency, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for that

I can speak only for outdoor experience.

My experimental aim was to see if I could deliver phosphorus and potassium during the flowering stage. Attempt one was a long while ago and i used a 10/10 p/k soluble solution deliverd by watering cans over patch of hybrids @ weeks 6-8 . Keeping in mind it was late spring and sativa leaning plants have a tendency to foxtail naturally anyway at this time of year. That particular patch to this date was my most successful patch ever yield wise and these buds fox tailed again and again without reveg. Great sucsess!

More recently, this time earlier in the season I used a primarily phosphorus based spray called phos-force @ half strength in the same mid to late stage of flowering on a couple of strains. I had hopes that this would act as a foliar "shooting powder".....

Spraying at the correct times to avoid burning i still noticed some (minor) pistil and leaf tip burning and did not get the desired shooting effect or that second burst of pistils (I call it spidering). The phos force cost me 200$ and I've only used a poofteenth so far. Hopefully I can find a use further down the track.

A I see it...

Foliar feeding is to deliver more nutrients to the plant than the root system can provide on its own. This can be countered by having a larger pot. Bigger is always better!

Or to induce temporary elevations in a certain nutrients  at a particular time without altering your mediums set ratio. Potentially useful.

So theress some anecdotal hogwash for you.

Edit*

Just to add. On the mold side I've never noticed any as a result of using foliar and tbh over all never had a real issue to the detriment. Lastly will I foliar feed again during flower? Most probably lol

RR.

Edited by (RR)
  • Upvote 2