Blumat Easy?

Anybody have any experience with the Blumat Easy irrigation doo-dads?  I looked at the Blumat Tropf and Classic systems before, but the horror stories of leaks and stuck-open situations scared me away.  Don't want 50L of spilled water in my grow tent!  But these look more fool proof, just a soda bottle to screw into the cone.  Cheap'ish too.  I've got a few trips coming up and I'm hoping these allow me to leave the girls at home with no babysitter....  So I took a punt and have a dozen on the way ($96 for 12x including freight to AUS).

https://www.blumat.com/easy/uber-easy

post-64181-0-11665000-1555374464_thumb.jpg

these terracotta bottle tops or blumat spikes 

are taken from an old idea of watering plants called Ollas 

pretty simple idea , take a porous unglazed terracotta jug , bury it under the soil with the top sticking out 

fit some sort of lid = cork in the top or terracotta drip tray upside down covering the opening 

fill with water & refill as needed , do a youtube search on ollas 

post-50689-0-60197400-1555386934_thumb.png

also checkout joshua steensland on youtube , his beds are in there 9th cycle & he has used blumats from the first run 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 2

these terracotta bottle tops or blumat spikes 

are taken from an old idea of watering plants called Ollas 

pretty simple idea , take a porous unglazed terracotta jug , bury it under the soil with the top sticking out 

fit some sort of lid = cork in the top or terracotta drip tray upside down covering the opening 

fill with water & refill as needed , do a youtube search on ollas 

attachicon.gifollas.PNG

also checkout joshua steensland on youtube , his beds are in there 9th cycle & he has used blumats from the first run 

I just did a little googling.  Yep, these are definitely a modern version of the Ollas.  And the other Blumat systems are like the Olla Balls available from a few places.  The Olla balls look pretty good, because you can bury them at any depth.  I'll keep those in mind for future projects.  I think Blumat Easy will work for now.  First, I've already paid for them!  Also, they don't require a reservoir.  A res either takes up space in the tent (I won't have any floor space spare) or outside the tent with water lines running in.  Outside res is definitely a possibility, but might take a bit more planning to assure leak-free performance and discretion in my room.  I'll update this thread with pics and performance info when I have the goodies in hand....

• Upvote 1

Hi veritas, not sure if this is similar to what you purchased, but if the spikes work for you and you want more....

12 for $9 including postage to oz

attachicon.gifS.jpeg

I saw something very similar in the hardare store today and was tempted to get some, but was worried that the roots would block up the holes if they hunt out the water. Has anyone tried them and have any feedback?

I've seen those before. I think the difference from Blumat/Olla is that the plastic cones with holes release water regardless of soil moisture compared to terracotta which only releases water when the soil is dry to a certain level. I haven't tried either yet, just what the interwebs tells me....

I use the blumats, the ones where it doesn't have the adjuster thing. They work well and no risk of flooding unless you have your res too high. It just draws what it needs and if you get an air bubble in there it still works and you just pop the cap to fill up the little carrot top if needed. Then it draws more through the tube and the air bubble doesn't come back.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app