What are you growing? Show us your non-canna garden

no idea but seeing the fruiting body of fungal hyphae is a good thing to see in your garden  

The fruiting bodies of fungi contain spores, which are dispersed for reproduction.

Mushrooms are a familiar example of a fruiting body. They are formed from hyphae,

the tiny threads that make up the bulk of most fungi. A network of hyphae, known as

mycelium, extends in all directions through the soil

• Upvote 1

I was under the impression that hyphae/mycelium was undesirable in gardens due to it blocking water penetration to the roots of your crops/veggies and that it leeches nutrients to feed itself. My apologies if I am wrong, but I brought this to the attention of a horticultural centre as I was having "Fairy Ring" plagues in my lawn. Maybe veggie gardens and lawns react differently, any insight on this? I currently have a shit load of Saffron milk cap/Pine mushrooms growing in my back yard around my new greenhouse.

never heard Paul Stamets call it the Earths Natural Internet 

there are fungal & bacterial hyphae , in fungal form it can be one of the biggest organisms in the world 

i'm not a horticulturist but in my understanding of the world of no till mycelium is one of the reason not to dig the ground 

in a forest it def helps to control moisture in terms of talking bout evaporation of moisture , i've never heard it

described as a hydrophobic soil barrier to moisture though & it being a bad thing , although most veg like 

a bacterial dominate soil & not so much fungal form memory , canna however doesn't mind a little bit of fungal 

at it's roots 

as far as ya lawn go's i think lawns prefer a more bacterial dominate soil from memory , fungi are more associated with trees 

as fungal communities take the longest to set up shop in the surrounding soil 

i would suggest getting some EM-1 added to watering of ya lawn , EM is a bunch beneficial anaerobic microorganisms  

you might have heard of Bokashi Composting & the bokashi grains used in that form of composting 

the grains are made with EM-1 so they do a good job of turning organic matter into readily available nutrients , in this case 

nutrients for your lawn , no lawn expert but isn't fairy ring a sign of uncoposted material & a lack of nutrients 

While able to occur anywhere, there are specific conditions for which fairy ring can grow.

Grass that is covered in heavy thatch - dead grass tissue - or any type of un-decomposed

matter can lead to the onset of fairy ring

so yeah give EM-1 a go if interested http://www.livingapartment.com.au/Products/Food-Supplements-Health-Care/Probiotic-Living-Beneficial-Micro-Organisms-1Ltr

yeah i've never heard of mycelium described as a negative B4 but i guess there are allot more 

well informed experts out there than me 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the info provided, I assumed lawn care vs canna would be different in many ways. The fairy ring I've come to experience is a difference in greenery between the ring zone from the rest of lawn as well as a ring of mushrooms in the effected area. I used to grow my own P. cubes, but the knowledge I had was not about benefits or destruction of the mycelium in natural world scenarios, but just text book how-to's of feeding to keep it alive, so I could later trip ballz. It's wierd timing that this subject has come up as well, as I've just picked up ID books of Aussie mushrooms as well as joined a small group of foragers to get into learning about & gathering edible local mushrooms. So the behavior of the mycelium is probably something I should add to my list of thing I need to know

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app