What are you growing? Show us your non-canna garden

Another tip , is if your planting summer veg early , plant them along side a tin fence , in my case the fence faces north , so by mid morning .the sun is reflecting of the tin onto the plants & the soil , soil temprature is very overlooked when growing summer veg, ie a tomato needs soil to be at least 11-12 C before the sap in the tommie starts to flow properly

That's why you can plant a tommie early , thinking your ahead of the game . but they just sit there & do nothing, the soil is to cold for them , & this goes for all summer veg, especially melons, you are actually heaps better off , planting these vegies in pots & placing them against a tin fence .as the soil in the pot warms a lot quicker , were you will get growth, then transplanting when soil temps have risen...…..if your looking to grow cucumbers, a trellis is the go , takes a bit of time training & tieing them up , but heaps better, U use  less space , fruit ripens evenly, & U only have to weed & mulch around the bottom,   & never forget mulch , if U look at the 2 pics I posted youll see a good mulch , & not a weed to be seen  , not to mention the water retension in mid summer, U can use lots of things for mulch , lawn clippings , straw , even newspaper, but I avoid pine needles , the sap in the needles , can leech into the soil & theres a lot of plants don't like it, & can kill young veg

That’s awesome tunkers! I have 5 kids so I’m trying to get them all involved as well :)

What is the cardboard boxes for mate?

Excellent info Nutter I’ll look tomorrow morning for wherethe morning sun hits best!

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Laying down the cardboard to cover and kill the grass instead of digging it all up.
  • Upvote 1

Finished filling the first compost pile. About 40% horse shit, 30% pig shit, 20% grass clippings and 10% brown waste of twigs and dead leaves etc

post-60317-155641921296_thumb.jpg

post-60317-155641923671_thumb.jpg

Might turn it around July and see if I can use it by October... Wishful thinking.

Still laying plenty of boxes (sex tape)

post-60317-155641933178_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

hey mate not been on the forums as much so i'm missing stuff 

good luck with it all 

just a lill note on ya compost making , ya sort of got it a lill N heavy 

you want it the other way round , heavy on the carbon , like 30 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen 

you might have a bit of soil mixed in with ya poo & clippings which is good cos it's considered a carbon source 

so it will add to your 10% brown waste , maybe when ya turn it add some barley straw , which is prob the most economical 

unless you have allot of brown waste you can use on ya land already 

keep the pile moist & it should heat up pretty good , killing the weed seed along the way , it'll cool then you turn it putting the 

top on the bottom & it should heat up again , don't know if you'll have a usable product in the time frame you mention but 

some of the best castings come from worms consuming almost finished compost 

the other thing that you could add to the compost is minerals , dolomite , gypsum are both pretty cheap & if ya wanna hang the expense 

get some basalt / volcanic rock dust to add , bio char would also be a good addition to ya compost making 

but just getting the carbon content up would be a good idea i reckon 

Awesome, thanks itchy. Brown brown brown, I'm onto it ! Most of the horse poo had been sitting for a very long time in it's own pile, it almost looked good enough to plant in by itself so I'm hoping that helps pushing my short time frame along lol we'll see...

My winter garden is starting to flower should be munging on snow peas shortly [emoji4]

post-60317-155701943817_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ahhh half composted poo

could always add bokashi to the mix to try & help accelerate things 

or use the liquid version which is EM-1 basically & keep ya pile moist with it 

you'll be enjoying the taste of ya snow peas while the plant keeps working fixing N

in the soil for ya , you slave driver you lol

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 2