Vermiculite Ratio

As some of you might know I'm a coco perlite grower. I'll be buying a bag of vermiculite this weekend and have perlite already (just standard coarse size not chunky). I'm not keen on watering all the time so would like advice as to how much vermiculite to mix with my perlite to get roughly the same water retention as straight coco. I've heard 70/30 perlite/vermiculite as common. Can I add more vermiculite?

Is there such a thing as too much vermiculite in my mix?

Cheers team.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Straight perlite is good but needs watering more often ,,once a day at least is best .

Vermiculite retains water so using approx 1/3 vermiculite gives you the option of watering every couple of days

or every day if you want ,,,or twice a day,,it doesn't matter .

I've gone 50/50 in different size pots than I normally use so can't tell if there was any difference in yield ,,they vegged well.

If you don't want to water too often then 50/50 might do you ...

But the more vermiculite then the less aeration,,perlite although it holds water,is great for aeration because of all the gaps between them.

vermiculite as I see it will block some of those gaps,,,,,less aeration. But I don't think too less.

By the way,,good choice , you picked a medium that is inert ,won't change and upset things..

Won't attract mites either., and no need for calmag,,,.i could go on ,,,,

Straight perlite is good but needs watering more often ,,once a day at least is best .

Vermiculite retains water so using approx 1/3 vermiculite gives you the option of watering every couple of days

or every day if you want ,,,or twice a day,,it doesn't matter .

I've gone 50/50 in different size pots than I normally use so can't tell if there was any difference in yield ,,they vegged well.

If you don't want to water too often then 50/50 might do you ...

But the more vermiculite then the less aeration,,perlite although it holds water,is great for aeration because of all the gaps between them.

vermiculite as I see it will block some of those gaps,,,,,less aeration. But I don't think too less.

By the way,,good choice , you picked a medium that is inert ,won't change and upset things..

Won't attract mites either., and no need for calmag,,,.i could go on ,,,,

Cheers SE. Had a issue with gnats in coco in the past but controlled it with neem oil. Calmag I add regularly too. Just want to try something different and this time in a bigger hempy bucket (20L) so don't want to water too often.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app