Need to slow down growing

Hey crew

I’ve got a small 90x90x1.5H tent that I sprung some seeds in then was given some clones just as they were sprouting .... so I’ve used my flower space for the next 2 months !

I’m in Perth ....

currently under 18/6 with 315cmh and growing nicely

Had issues with the Durban strain from nirvana all 3 shrunk and started dying so have given them a flush and bigger pots hope they bounce back ... buuut

Should I switch to my t5 fluoro 55watt globe to slow down the growth ? Should I put them outside ?

Do I buy another tent lol

Thanks crew !

Got a power Africa, gelat og, c99xbig bud, cbd critical mass and the Durban’s

post-64125-0-85050700-1554556564_thumb.jpeg

Hey Jim,

I too grow SCROG, to slow down the upward growth I pluck the centre out of the growing tips, this pushes the growth out side ways rather than up.

BUT imo, if you are growing SCROG in a tent that size, you'll only need one (possibly two) plants at most

I say this because when you turn them to 12/12 you'll have a massive growth splurt that will simply over take that whole tent space.

I grow in a 3m x 3m space and I grow 1 (ONE) plant, this is it https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/10063-7/

"Do I buy another tent lol" IMO you'd better go buy another 4 tents lol

​You're gonna have some fun managing all of that in one small tent, that I'll guarantee you of

I'd also be recommending you DO NOT go mixing strains in the same tent.

When you turn them to 12/12 they don't all have the same rate of splurt, so one strain may explode and overtake the whole grow space, blocking the light to the others.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Hey Jim,

I too grow SCROG, to slow down the upward growth I pluck the centre out of the growing tips, this pushes the growth out side ways rather than up.

BUT imo, if you are growing SCROG in a tent that size, you'll only need one (possibly two) plants at most

I say this because when you turn them to 12/12 you'll have a massive growth splurt that will simply over take that whole tent space.

I grow in a 3m x 3m space and I grow 1 (ONE) plant, this is it https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/10063-7/

WOW!!! That’s just one plant ???? May I ask what strain and how long did you veg that for a couple of months ??? If you have a link to a grow diary I would love to read that !! Amazing mate - probably not in coco more a DWC maybe ?

"

Do I buy another tent

lol" IMO you'd better go buy another 4 tents lol

​You're gonna have some fun managing all of that in one small tent, that I'll guarantee you of

I'd also be recommending you DO NOT go mixing strains in the same tent.

W

hen you turn them to 12/12 they don't all have the same rate of splurt, so one strain may explode and overtake the whole grow space, blocking the light to the others.

Merl1n

Thanks for the reply as always Merlin

This tent size is strictly my veg tent - I’m going to move them to a 2.4x1.5x 3m high area afterwards but I get what you mean - less plants the better really risk wise I’m just impatient to veg for months

Solid advice though in regards to mixing strains etc - I have a few seeds from Seedsman and basically I am trying to figure out which one is the best for acrogging /yield etc so I popped a few beans to try them out and hopefully the. Just grow 1 mother plant to cut clones instead of relying on seeds etc

Any recommendations on strain?

Thanks again Merlin and in the meantime to slow the growth chuck them under a t5 u think ?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I don’t know how to sub edit the replies so I reply under each paragraph on the app lol

It looks like u wrote my response if you scroll up ....

I said basically WOW that’s one plant ???? - have u got a grow diary and if your still doing this (photos from 2011) what strain and set up are u using mate ? (Dwc,coco?) mist veg for a few months ? Either way that’s amazing Merlin your a scrog king and I appreciate any info you pass on to a newbie like me

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

I don’t know how to sub edit the replies so I reply under each paragraph on the app lol

It looks like u wrote my response if you scroll up ....

You're not the first to do this, and you won't be the last lol.

Under the post, on the right are 3 green buttons 'Glog This' 'MultiQuote' and 'Quote'

What I do is click on 'Quote' which brings up a quote box. I then delete the non relevant content from the quote box. I then click outside the quote box, underneath. Then type my response, such as this.

If there is more you want to comment on, just repeat the process above and another quote box will appear like the one below and again, delete the non relevant content from the box.

I said basically WOW that’s one plant ???? - have u got a grow diary and if your still doing this (photos from 2011) what strain and set up are u using mate ? (Dwc,coco?) mist veg for a few months ? Either way that’s amazing Merlin your a scrog king and I appreciate any info you pass on to a newbie like me

Yep, that's one plant grown in a 50ltr pot in pot recirc system.

I am still growing this way but I'm only posting the pics from my gallery and no, I haven't posted a diary.

I veg for around 4weeks or long enough to fill my SCROG net (usually 4-5 weeks). I crack the beans and plant in a 4inch rockwool cube, under a fluoro until the roots show and cover the base of the cube. I grow in perlite with a 4 inch layer of clayballs at the base of my pot. Both the perlite and clayballs are WELL WASHED to remove as much dust as possible before I start. I use clayballs as the perlite compresses over time and this compression breaks down the perlite creating a shitload of perlite dust. When the perlite dust gets wet it makes a paste that smothers the roots (Not what I want). That compression also reduces the air pockets, the clayballs do not compress down and they maintain those air pockets. Also when the dust gets wet the paste is like a grinding paste and is real harsh on pumps. So it NEEDS to be REAL WELL WASHED.

Once my SCROG net is full underneath I turn to 12/12 and allow the growth splurt to come up through the steel netting. Now I use 3 levels of nets, one solid steel net and 2 trailer nets above. The steel net (or SCROG table) has 4 legs and the netting is around 3-4 inches above my pots. This net has a heavy steel frame and is used to train the growth out like a starfish, something like this  https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/17476-rough-sketch-steel-table/ the table height is adjustable with pins in the legs. The legs extend up above the table on all 4 corners and this is where I stretch the nets between. If you look closely at his pic you can see the cable of the top trailer net in the bottom right and at the back you can see the cable on the upright of the leg 

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/10062-6/

The trailer nets are to provide support above other wise the weighty buds bend and end up facing the floor, not what I want. The reason I use trailer nets above is to allow the stems to flex, stems a bit like muscles, the more they flex the stronger they become to hold those weighty buds upright. For this reason I have 4 fans, one on each corner of my SCROG table legs blowing through the plant canopy, flexing those stems, making them stronger. If I solely used steel nets above this would reduce that flexing and reduce the stem strength.

Another thing to consider is airflow, airflow is paramount, no air flow and your plant will die. It needs air exchange. Fresh cool air in down low, hot used air out up high. But it's not just in/out that needs to be considered but also airflow within the grow space itself. Having pockets of air that don't move will raise humidity and encourage mould developement. For this reason just before turning 12/12 I strip ALL of the undergrowth under the netting, like this https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/12055-all-join-in-just-a-pic-dump/?view=findpost&p=399843  This does a couple of things 1)it allows maximum airflow and 2) reduces places for bugs and pathogens to hide. The HID lamps get way too hot for the bugs to survive so they hide and thrive underneath, remove all of those hide-e-holes = less chances for an infestation. Sure by stripping it out you lose bud sites but if those buds are not getting full light they are all fluffy and shitty. I want all the goodness to go to the big buds and not be wasted on shitty popcorn bud underneath, so they all get stripped out.

OK, so that'll be enough for now, but if you have other questions, then ask. I don't have all of the answers and everybody's setup is different. Some people will make out they know it all, BULLSHIT, no one knows it all. I know what works for me and my setup but I do not know it all. But in saying that if I know or have the answers I'm more than willing to share and I dare say others here will won't to put in their 10c worth too, just remember that all advice is exactly that, advice, you have to sort through what is relevant to you and your setup. So DO NOT BE USING IT AS A BIBLE, it's only advice.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

You're not the first to do this, and you won't be the last lol.

Under the post, on the right are 3 green buttons 'Glog This' 'MultiQuote' and 'Quote'

What I do is click on 'Quote' which brings up a quote box. I then delete the non relevant content from the quote box. I then click outside the quote box, underneath. Then type my response, such as this.

If there is more you want to comment on, just repeat the process above and another quote box will appear like the one below and again, delete the non relevant content from the box.

Yep, that's one plant grown in a 50ltr pot in pot recirc system.

I am still growing this way but I'm only posting the pics from my gallery and no, I haven't posted a diary.

I veg for around 4weeks or long enough to fill my SCROG net (usually 4-5 weeks). I crack the beans and plant in a 4inch rockwool cube, under a fluoro until the roots show and cover the base of the cube. I grow in perlite with a 4 inch layer of clayballs at the base of my pot. Both the perlite and clayballs are WELL WASHED to remove as much dust as possible before I start. I use clayballs as the perlite compresses over time and this compression breaks down the perlite creating a shitload of perlite dust. When the perlite dust gets wet it makes a paste that smothers the roots (Not what I want). That compression also reduces the air pockets, the clayballs do not compress down and they maintain those air pockets. Also when the dust gets wet the paste is like a grinding paste and is real harsh on pumps. So it NEEDS to be REAL WELL WASHED.

Once my SCROG net is full underneath I turn to 12/12 and allow the growth splurt to come up through the steel netting. Now I use 3 levels of nets, one solid steel net and 2 trailer nets above. The steel net (or SCROG table) has 4 legs and the netting is around 3-4 inches above my pots. This net has a heavy steel frame and is used to train the growth out like a starfish, something like this  https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/17476-rough-sketch-steel-table/ the table height is adjustable with pins in the legs. The legs extend up above the table on all 4 corners and this is where I stretch the nets between. If you look closely at his pic you can see the cable of the top trailer net in the bottom right and at the back you can see the cable on the upright of the leg  https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/10062-6/

The trailer nets are to provide support above other wise the weighty buds bend and end up facing the floor, not what I want. The reason I use trailer nets above is to allow the stems to flex, stems a bit like muscles, the more they flex the stronger they become to hold those weighty buds upright. For this reason I have 4 fans, one on each corner of my SCROG table legs blowing through the plant canopy, flexing those stems, making them stronger. If I solely used steel nets above this would reduce that flexing and reduce the stem strength.

Another thing to consider is airflow, airflow is paramount, no air flow and your plant will die. It needs air exchange. Fresh cool air in down low, hot used air out up high. But it's not just in/out that needs to be considered but also airflow within the grow space itself. Having pockets of air that don't move will raise humidity and encourage mould developement. For this reason just before turning 12/12 I strip ALL of the undergrowth under the netting, like this https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/12055-all-join-in-just-a-pic-dump/?view=findpost&p=399843  This does a couple of things 1)it allows maximum airflow and 2) reduces places for bugs and pathogens to hide. The HID lamps get way too hot for the bugs to survive so they hide and thrive underneath, remove all of those hide-e-holes = less chances for an infestation. Sure by stripping it out you lose bud sites but if those buds are not getting full light they are all fluffy and shitty. I want all the goodness to go to the big buds and not be wasted on shitty popcorn bud underneath, so they all get stripped out.

OK, so that'll be enough for now, but if you have other questions, then ask. I don't have all of the answers and everybody's setup is different. Some people will make out they know it all, BULLSHIT, no one knows it all. I know what works for me and my setup but I do not know it all. But in saying that if I know or have the answers I'm more than willing to share and I dare say others here will won't to put in their 10c worth too, just remember that all advice is exactly that, advice, you have to sort through what is relevant to you and your setup. So DO NOT BE USING IT AS A BIBLE, it's only advice.

Merl1n

WTF, what happened there? Posted it twice DOH. If a mod sees this, Please delete

Edited by merl1n

Thanks again for taking the time to give such a detailed response Merlin !!

And yes I’ll definitely take all responses and info with a grain of salt and look into it - probably why I look at so many websites (ILGM , Royal queen and good old YouTube )

In regards to your setup - I didn’t know you could grow in straight perlite I thought it was an additive for more aeration in soil and coco - shows how much I need o learn really lol

With your set up have you got a mother tank (reservoir) that you nute up and then it continually circulates or does it only water every few hours or different time schedule cause of the rockwool (not sure if it would get waterlogged ?) think that would be great do u also recycle the perlite and clay balls ? It’s hard to get rid of coco when I only have AstroTurf and potted plants in the garden so it’s maintanence freee .

What strain u growing now - do u recommend a sativa dominant strain ?

Thanks again mate and sorry for all the questions but would love to make my next run similar and tweak it all !

600 hps

Here's a bit of a mud map of my waterworks. I run it on a plugin timer 15min/hr

Waterworks setup:- https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/17475-heart-setup/

Room setup:- https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/17477-mud-map-of-room/

No I do not recycle the perlite/clayballs. If you regrow in it you run the high risk of getting root rot. Any old roots that decompose will infect your new root system. I know some people spread their grow medium out and leave it in the sun to sterilize it, but having battled with root rot before, never again. I start afresh, I scrub all of my pots, clean through all of my tubes and resi with a bleach solution.

As for what strains I grow, well, that depends. I grow/consume for my own medical purposes due to a brain tumour, so it depends on my needs. I've been lucky enough to obtain a decent collection of beans from some very kind benefactors and I've also been lucky enough to score myself and my wife a couple all expenses paid trips to the UK, with a self paid extension to Amsterdam, where I acquired this lot:-

post-24238-0-33777800-1554621674_thumb.jpgpost-24238-0-39136400-1554621721_thumb.jpgpost-24238-0-01767200-1554621770_thumb.jpg

So I've got me a bit of a variety when it comes to strains

Along with strains I also make my own oil using this method https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/56673-introducing-aho-aussie-hash-oil-the-sunny-method/?do=findComment&comment=371138

Make my own tincture https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/45016-op-rum-tincture/?do=findComment&comment=332025

Made a few of my own hash tumblers. Here's one https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/58735-bunnings-hash-tumbler/

Make my own hash from each grow https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/index.php/topic/27354-hashin-it-up/

I also have a bit of a collection of smokes, although that's getting down a bit now https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/12055-all-join-in-just-a-pic-dump/page-154?do=findComment&comment=268059

So I've got myself a decent collection of 'complimentary medication' lol

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n

Wow... again cheers for all the information I know it’s time consuming replying to all the questions !

Just a quick question in regards to the mud map of the room - u have a 200L water tank on a washing machine ... is that so u can easily fill and top up the reservoir I take it with a inlet valve /ball cock ( I’m a plumber so I ran some 15mm copper water service in my shed and have an isolation with a Flexi hose to a toilet inlet valve inside my tank so when I fill it it doesn’t overflow )

What size reservoir would you use as your brain/heart reservoir

Have a good Monday mate !

Time is one thing I have LOTS of, the medicos won't allow me to return to work, so time ain't an issue. I have lots of time unfortunately.

My heart is a 25ltr tub, I had it all setup so that I could just set and forget. But now I'm able to go out and check it twice a day. In the AM I just add water to knock the ppm down, in the pm I add nutes as required. Once/ft I flush the whole system and refill with fresh batch of nutes and start again.

The size of the resi depends on the size of your setup vs pump vs potsize vs tubing vs flow return. For example if you have a high flow pump and a low rate of return, your pump can suck your resi dry before the return flow has time to replenish. Not what you want. It's all about a balance. Also the plant size/root mass makes a difference, as the plant gets bigger, so do the roots and this reduces the return flow, so it ain't just a simple equation of A+B=C as a constant, it varies.

Hope it helps

Merl1n