Wattage question

I had ordered a 600w hps but it was out stock and got cancelled.

This got me to thinking am I going too big when possibly a 400w would suffice .

Not a huge tent,. 50x90 X 120 high

Or should I stick with bigger is better, don't really see me ever upgrading to a bigger tent, I'm only a 1 or 2 "tomato" plant guy

Anyone care to give me some guidance?

Cheers

A 600w in that small space u will be cooking everything pretty fast, that area way to small for a 600w and even a lil small for a 400w HID

HID's put out a lot of heat in that size tent 400 and 600w is way to much, u will have big time heat issues.

For a 400w min tent size would be 80cm by 80cm by 160cm, i have used a 400w in that size tent anything smaller for a 400w will cook everything inside the tent.

That tent is more suited to some T5 fluros or dare i say it some LED's...

A 600w in that small space u will be cooking everything pretty fast, that area way to small for a 600w and even a lil small for a 400w HID

HID's put out a lot of heat in that size tent 400 and 600w is way to much, u will have big time heat issues.

For a 400w min tent size would be 80cm by 80cm by 160cm, i have used a 400w in that size tent anything smaller for a 400w will cook everything inside the tent.

That tent is more suited to some T5 fluros or dare i say it some LED's...

Yeah point taken, I have T5 currently.

Lots say need hps to finish good.

Would 250w be ok, or stick with the T5, ?getting a bigger tent really not an option I wanna consider.

Be happy to go led if folks think they are better..?

Again I'm pretty green on this..

Cheers

Edited by Newbudgrower

Sorry to say, but you're really screwing yourself with the size you're trying to stick with. To grow anything worthwhile, you want at least a 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.8m (more height the better). then you'd want at least a 315w cmh. reason being, plants and the gear needs room, plus anything less in the lighting dept isn't going to do you grow much justice in regards to providing a optimum grow environment.

The good thing about a tent/space that big is you can go any type a light you want, and you've got room to move.

If you're deadset at limiting yourself to that small of space I guess LED is a better option. But someone else would better off pointing out what's best for your requirements in regards to LED lighting.

Sorry to say, but you're really screwing yourself with the size you're trying to stick with. To grow anything worthwhile, you want at least a 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.8m (more height the better). then you'd want at least a 315w cmh. reason being, plants and the gear needs room, plus anything less in the lighting dept isn't going to do you grow much justice in regards to providing a optimum grow environment.

The good thing about a tent/space that big is you can go any type a light you want, and you've got room to move.

If you're deadset at limiting yourself to that small of space I guess LED is a better option. But someone else would better off pointing out what's best for your requirements in regards to LED lighting.

Thanks for reply I'm hearing what you saying but I really don't have that space available, kinda like a cupboard grow not in a cupboard...lol

I've not reordered yet, but for sure I'd be happy to listen to some led advice on what I can get away with in that tent, max Watts n maybe a recommendation as in model.

Cheers

Papasmurf seems to do well with LED's using about 500w per square meter (about 250W in your space) Beware LED wattage claims, the output is often 1/2 the watts on the label. I'd pick smurf's brains about it, he has the experience.

Ok cheers

After reading the led lights thread they all saying 500bux not enough, think my budget around 250bux, I might need to just stick with a 250hps go cool tube n run fan through it

Edited by Newbudgrower

You seem to be making the common mistake like a few of us have made in the past. Where we either restrict ourselves with either grow size, light, budget or all three. And what that usually amounts to is wasted $$$ and/or shitty yields.

The way you got to look at it is to achieve a optimum grow environment with the correct gear, once you achieve that, the plants grow better and in turn produce better yields.I've made this mistake myself in the past and all that come of it was disappointment and few hundred dollars down the drain and no bud in hand.

Might have to save up some more $$$, man. And do it right from the beginning. Just trying to save you from making the same mistake like many others that have come before you.